PDA

View Full Version : Klein Quantum, Chehalis made--to buy or not to buy!

indyrider
12-12-2012, 07:05 PM
So Ive been looking for a Klein Quantum for quite some time now and have run across this gem. Its a Race model and a 2000 or 2001 I believe, in the Silver Cloud color, which I really dig. Its pretty much stock with Ultegra 9, except of a new shim compact crank/bb and pretty much all the OEM stuff. I would ditch the Rolfs for a good set of OP's...Pic of actual rig attached.

Seller wants $700 to my door, which is his bottom line...It looks to be in great condition and I think its a fair price, but really wanted a dirt road rig...

What do you all think? Worth the 7 bills?

jtakeda
12-12-2012, 07:23 PM
Not to buy.

You can find a quantum for cheaper or at least one with a cooler paint job.

Edit:
Just realized its complete..... Still not to buy.

Wait for a pink harlequin one! Hope you're fast.

vav
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
do not think it's a steal price but I think is more than fair. I also dig that color. Go for it!

bironi
12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
but really wanted a dirt road rig...

Your words, not mine.

Ken Robb
12-12-2012, 07:58 PM
I rode these a few times when they were new. My recollection is that they were race-oriented: quick steering and stiff. The fat chainstays did not allow much tire clearance.

firerescuefin
12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
I had that very bike...loved it. TT tend to be long for their size. I thought it was pretty comfy for what it was. The paint was awesome/ rich...still have an attitude race mtb from the same era...another great ride.

indyrider
12-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Tks for the comments gents. Looks like I just found a dirt road rig or what could be considered one. IF club racer just hit my radar, full campy, size works-tall headtube, spacing for 32mm mudders....only prob is its 2x more than the klein. Somebody buy my white ind wheelset on the ads pls!!!

John H.
12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Steep seat angle, cable routing that shifts like poo, super stiff rear and fork that rides like a brick- save your $ and get a Primus Mootry or Spooky.

oldpotatoe
12-13-2012, 08:09 AM
For ANYBODY looking at getting one of these, make SURE the little plastic cable guides are in the down tube for the shifter cables or you will hate trying to get a cable out the wee , WEE hole at the BB end of the downtube. PLUS for many index shifting systems, that routing makes for crappy shifting.

Jeff N.
12-13-2012, 08:21 AM
It's the non-pressed-in BB, which is a plus. Just can't get excited about Kleins anymore though.

zap
12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
For ANYBODY looking at getting one of these, make SURE the little plastic cable guides are in the down tube for the shifter cables or you will hate trying to get a cable out the wee , WEE hole at the BB end of the downtube. PLUS for many index shifting systems, that routing makes for crappy shifting.

My QPro shifts great with Record 10. Agree, make sure plastic guides are in place. Have no clue how Shimano functions with this setup.

The pictured Klein does have steeper st angles. IMO, the model to get are '02 and '03 QPro models (made in WI but who cares) with the Time carbon stay's. These years have proper road racing geo.

I have the '03 and the ride with tubulars at 120psi is pretty good.

These are proper race bikes with short ht and long tt.

indyrider
12-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I have made the decision to pass on the Klein, as the Club Racer is now in my sights and better suits my needs. I get to a Quantum one of these years...

Will post pics of the IF when its all said and done...