PDA

View Full Version : What other fulcrum racing freehubs are compatible with 5's

mtechnica
12-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm looking to swap my campy for a shimano but I can't find any definitive answer on how to tell which freehubs are interchangeable. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

David Benson
12-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Take a look at the spare parts lists on Fulcrum's website.
The equivalent and identical Campagnolo part is FH-BU015X

jds108
12-12-2012, 04:24 PM
I don't have the part number with me, but be warned that you'll need to also buy a new axle spacer when swapping from campy to shimano compatible freehubs.

Nobody had that spacer. QBP has it mislabeled, so the few places that said they had it, had the wrong part. I know because I ordered it only to find out it was the wrong thickness.

Old Potatoe ordered four of these spacers and they had to come from Italy. If he hadn't of done that, I'm not really sure how I would have obtained the part...

OP was a great help, but besides him, the whole thing was a PITA. (I did this on 2011 Campy Scirocco wheels, which I'm pretty sure are the same hub as yours.)

mtechnica
12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't have the part number with me, but be warned that you'll need to also buy a new axle spacer when swapping from campy to shimano compatible freehubs.

Nobody had that spacer. QBP has it mislabeled, so the few places that said they had it, had the wrong part. I know because I ordered it only to find out it was the wrong thickness.

Old Potatoe ordered four of these spacers and they had to come from Italy. If he hadn't of done that, I'm not really sure how I would have obtained the part...

OP was a great help, but besides him, the whole thing was a PITA. (I did this on 2011 Campy Scirocco wheels, which I'm pretty sure are the same hub as yours.)

I don't suppose you know the dimensions of the spacer, or anyone that does?

mtechnica
12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Take a look at the spare parts lists on Fulcrum's website.

Should have just looked there first!

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/system/documents/files/TECH_MANUAL_2012_FULCRUM_ROAD_ENG.pdf

David Benson
12-12-2012, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=jds108;1256182]I don't have the part number with me, but be warned that you'll need to also buy a new axle spacer when swapping from campy to shimano compatible freehubs.

Nobody had that spacer. QUOTE]

This is pretty f***ing strange to me because Fulcrum have been shipping the correct spacer with the freewheels for years.

norcalbiker
12-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I think you'll be better off selling those wheels and buy another set with Shimano hub in the used market. I see plenty of Racing 5 for around $150.00

oldpotatoe
12-12-2012, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=jds108;1256182]I don't have the part number with me, but be warned that you'll need to also buy a new axle spacer when swapping from campy to shimano compatible freehubs.

This is pretty f***ing strange to me because Fulcrum have been shipping the correct spacer with the freewheels for years.

I do

ultraman6970
12-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Sell your wheels and get new ones, for each campagnolo wheelset you have like 30 shimano ones. Cheaper to get same level of wheel in shimano than in campagnolo. Even sure somebody might be willing to trade wheels here.

Saying tihs because the darn freehb bodies to convert campagnolo to shimano arent cheap at all. There is a guy in my CL area selling a set of campagnolo tubular wheels with shimano freewheel, the price was good but after I found what the new freehub body cost I just backed off the idea right away.

Check freehub bodies vs new wheels and probably for 100 or 150 more you get a new set of wheels at the same level or even higher than the 5s you have.

jds108
12-12-2012, 06:22 PM

I bought the freehub via ebay: New Campagnolo WH-KX9 Rear Hub Freehub Body 9 Speed 2006-... (310398010503)

The freehub was factory sealed in plastic and was labeled as WH-KX9. And it was the correct part to run Shimano cassettes. But there was no spacer in the package. Thus, Old Potatoe was nice enough to order some spacers and sell me one.

So I figured I'd post about this little experience... Perhaps Campy goofed up when packaging my particular unit.

What's all the more strange is that the first pic in the auction shows the spacer sticking up out of the middle of the freehub. That's what was missing with mine. At this point I can't remember if I asked the seller about this and/or what their response was.

mtechnica
12-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I would sell them but they probably aren't worth anything because of damage caused by a chain drop. They work totally fine though, and I want to use them. I was hoping I could just trade freehubs with someone because they are nice riding wheels.

ultraman6970
12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Buy freehub bodies is expensive man... those hubs take campy straight pull spokes only right?