PDA

View Full Version : Caffelatex and Stans Puncture Sealant

Lovetoclimb
12-11-2012, 08:28 AM
Does one need the brand specific "injector" for application of sealants into their tires? I have been told Caffelatex is better served for my Challenge cross tubulars but looking at Competitive Cyclist, they only have the Stans brand injector. Nothing about it looks proprietary, just a suction cylinder with a hose and valve adapter. Advice from sealant users appreciated. Or we can turn this into a Caffelatex v Stans thread if that makes for a more fun Tuesday!

Thanks!

redir
12-11-2012, 09:42 AM
No, nothing special. I have the one that came with Cafe Latex and I use it for Stans as well.

jh_on_the_cape
12-11-2012, 10:32 AM
I have caffelatex and their injector and it works well.

More sealant = better flat resistance, but more weight.

I put it in tubes. I hate flats more than I hate an extra 40g in my tubes.

rice rocket
12-11-2012, 11:30 AM
I have caffelatex and their injector and it works well.

More sealant = better flat resistance, but more weight.

I put it in tubes. I hate flats more than I hate an extra 40g in my tubes.

Why not go tubeless if you're doing that?

I have tubeless on my MTB, I'd love for it to catch on in road setups too to get more tire choice.

jh_on_the_cape
12-11-2012, 11:39 AM

I have tubeless on my MTB, I'd love for it to catch on in road setups too to get more tire choice.

I probably should. Someday I will. I need to get the rimstrips, valves.

Again, I hate flats more than I hate the extra weight. I no longer race.

dekindy
12-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I know that Caffelatex injector can inject caffelatex through a valve core; only combination that can do that as far as I know. I need this capability because the Shimano 7850sl wheel valve cores cannot be removed. Besides, Stan's did not work for me and Caffelatex does.

oldpotatoe
12-11-2012, 05:38 PM

Been over a decade, hasn't really 'caught on' yet..don think it will.

martinrjensen
12-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Stan's sealant does that too, no problem

edit: I am running road tubeless on one of my bikes
I know that Caffelatex injector can inject caffelatex through a valve core; only combination that can do that as far as I know. I need this capability because the Shimano 7850sl wheel valve cores cannot be removed. Besides, Stan's did not work for me and Caffelatex does.

joev
12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
I use the Caffelatex injector with Stan's and it works great! My 29'er rims are Stan's ZTR Arch w/removalble valve cores. I use 140 ml or 4.7 oz per tire. A little less and the stuff tends to evaporate or dry out over time. A little more and I get one of those rubber coral formations that will bounce around in the tire to let me know to redo the sealant.

I like Stan's better than the Caffelatex. I've had a tire go down w/Caffelatex and seen the Caffelatex turn to a funny clear brown liquid before but, knock on wood, have seen the Stan's seal thorn punctures after I took the thorns out and have good luck with it for a couple of years.

Experiment a bit with the amount and the brands of sealant...but carry a spare tube just in case!

dekindy
12-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Stan's sealant does that too, no problem

edit: I am running road tubeless on one of my bikes

I am fairly certain Stan's cannot be injected through a vavle core unless that is a recent development.

rice rocket
12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
They just don't supply the tools for it, but I don't see why not?

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/CaffelatexInjector-e1306846033384.jpg

dekindy
12-11-2012, 09:17 PM
I use the Caffelatex injector with Stan's and it works great! My 29'er rims are Stan's ZTR Arch w/removalble valve cores. I use 140 ml or 4.7 oz per tire. A little less and the stuff tends to evaporate or dry out over time. A little more and I get one of those rubber coral formations that will bounce around in the tire to let me know to redo the sealant.

I like Stan's better than the Caffelatex. I've had a tire go down w/Caffelatex and seen the Caffelatex turn to a funny clear brown liquid before but, knock on wood, have seen the Stan's seal thorn punctures after I took the thorns out and have good luck with it for a couple of years.

Experiment a bit with the amount and the brands of sealant...but carry a spare tube just in case!

I did a lot of research and found many reports of users liking Stan's but not Caffelatex and vice versa. I fall into the latter. Had a couple of punctures that Stan's did not seal and it was very messy because I did not have valve cores that could be removed. Caffelatex injected through the valve core and has gotten me home on the only two punctures that I have had since switching to Caffelatex. This is one where YMMV.

redir
12-12-2012, 10:50 AM
I probably should. Someday I will. I need to get the rimstrips, valves.

Again, I hate flats more than I hate the extra weight. I no longer race.

You should look into getting some heavy duty flat protection systems and tires. They are heavy but if you don't care they also work quite well.

jh_on_the_cape
12-12-2012, 10:57 AM
You should look into getting some heavy duty flat protection systems and tires. They are heavy but if you don't care they also work quite well.

Tubeless liquid inside a tube is the best.