PDA

View Full Version : Total Hip Replacement

quattro
12-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Scheduled for THR on 1/8/13 in Boston with Dr. Murphy at the Baptist. His technique is a minimally invasive approach called Super Capsulotomy (Super CAP). This is a technique that he invented and developed in 2002 and 2003 and which received patents in 2005 and 2006. The aim of the technique is to maximally preserve the soft tissues surrounding the hip joint and to perform the surgery without every dislocating the hip joint or distorting the limb beyond the normal range of motion of the hip. He also uses computer assisted navigation in this procedure.Does anyone have experience with Dr. Murphy or Super CAP?

Interested in hearing your stories about your THR and the time it took to get back in the saddle. Thanks

quattro

AngryScientist
12-11-2012, 07:53 AM
my father-in-law had both hips done, THR. he stayed with us during his recovery. my house has no bathroom on the first floor, so i was very worried that he would not be able to get to the bathroom in the first few days. first day out of surgery - he climbed those steps. his speed of recovery astounded me, literally. very quick.

i've met a number of people who have had THR done, and across the board, the comment is : "compared to the pain i lived with every day, the recovery is a piece of cake".

we live in a great time for modern medicine. you'll be up and running in no time, good luck!

Nooch
12-11-2012, 08:11 AM
i've met a number of people who have had THR done, and across the board, the comment is : "compared to the pain i lived with every day, the recovery is a piece of cake".

+1. My father had both done after years of degeneration under his 350+ lb mass... The goal was for him to lose some weight before hand, but it wasn't possible, because he couldn't move.. went from a walker before surgery to a cane after having his right one done, and from the cane to free and clear, unassisted walking after having the left done. because of his size there was no prayer of doing both at once, so he had one done over christmas break, and one done finals week of the same school year (he's a teacher).

Unfortunately, his right hip was recalled and he fell into the pain again, so underwent a revision and so far, so good. also got a chunk of cashish from a class action against the joint manufacturer, so at least he was compensated for the pain and necessity of a second (third) surgery...

at the end of the day, if a guy like my dad could recover really incredibly and quickly, I'm sure you'll have no issues. Best of luck!

(for reference, his were done by Dr. Figgy at Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC)

merlincustom1
12-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I'd check the hip lawsuit blogs for any recall/problem info on your intended hardware.

Pars
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Sounds like an interesting technique. What type of replacement joint?

I had both of mine done in Chicago by Dr. Kim with M&M Ortho, one in 2008 and one in 2009. I was out of work for 6 weeks each time, more because the Dr. wanted it than I did. Haven't had problems with either, and started riding again much more than I had before. I do try to avoid crashing, however :)

Epicus07
12-11-2012, 11:01 PM
I cared for a few patients with total hip replacements on an Ortho unit and ALL of them felt much better having done it!

Kingfisher
12-12-2012, 03:41 AM
had my right hip replaced six years ago (minimally invasive) and it was the best thing i ever did!! rehab took awhile but back on the bike within a few months and now i really forget about it it. no residual pain, riding is back to normal. I know an attorney in DC who had his done 10 years ago and has been back to racing (road) at a very competitive level with no issues....he says he has even crashed on this hip and all is ok.

the doc did say that the operation was uneventful, except that he had to go through/cut alot of muscle to get to the joint...30 years of riding....and he wasn't used to that..so i was a little more sore than most normal hip replacementees.

good luck and pm me if you'd like more info

bob

quattro
12-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Sounds like an interesting technique. What type of replacement joint?

I had both of mine done in Chicago by Dr. Kim with M&M Ortho, one in 2008 and one in 2009. I was out of work for 6 weeks each time, more because the Dr. wanted it than I did. Haven't had problems with either, and started riding again much more than I had before. I do try to avoid crashing, however :)

Not sure what type of joint I will be getting just yet. Pre-op is next week so I hope to have this conversation with Dr. at that time.

Thanks everyone for your wishes and good to hear people are getting on with being active quickly after rehab.

quattro
02-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Well, I'm now six weeks post THR surgery and doing well. The surgery went very well, on a 0-10 scale I never had more than a 2 for pain through the whole process. Spent two nights in the hospital, walked just a few hours after surgery, came home and had in-house PT first 3 weeks. I started riding my wind trainer 6 days after surgery, started at 10 minutes and I'm now riding 20 minutes twice a day. I'm now also doing out patient PT two times a week and it's really helping to make me stronger and more flexible. For anyone thinking about a THR please don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. Looking forward to riding this season without pain!

quattro

Lewis Moon
02-15-2013, 01:41 PM
I had SuperPATH eight weeks ago. I was on the trainer within a week and back on the bike proper at three weeks. At four weeks I did 180 miles for the week.
I love modern surgery.

Jaq
02-15-2013, 01:49 PM
It's not complete if they don't give you skinny jeans, a fixie, and a can of PBR on your way out.

Glad to hear it went well!

Pars
02-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Glad that it went well quattro! Biggest thing I had to work with was lateral leg movements, but I'm sure they have you working on that in PT.

soulspinner
02-16-2013, 04:27 AM
Well, I'm now six weeks post THR surgery and doing well. The surgery went very well, on a 0-10 scale I never had more than a 2 for pain through the whole process. Spent two nights in the hospital, walked just a few hours after surgery, came home and had in-house PT first 3 weeks. I started riding my wind trainer 6 days after surgery, started at 10 minutes and I'm now riding 20 minutes twice a day. I'm now also doing out patient PT two times a week and it's really helping to make me stronger and more flexible. For anyone thinking about a THR please don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. Looking forward to riding this season without pain!

quattro

Cool. Glad you will be going strong. :hello:

quattro
02-16-2013, 06:13 PM
thanks for the wishes. Biggest problem I've had is with my hip flexor muscle, taking some time to get back to normal, working on it every day....

quattro

sam.g
02-17-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm having a total hip replacement this Tuesday the 19th, it will be performed by a Dr.Lim at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. The procedure will be minimally invasive and he will use the anterior approach which doesn't cut muscle and disturbs less soft tissue.

I'd be very interested in corresponding with you about recovery, a PM was sent.

Sam in Cincy

Pars
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Best wishes on your procedure. Yes, anterior is easily the way to go, and has an easier recovery as well.

And to quattro, yeah, the hip flexors was what I was talking about. When I was doing my in home therapy, I never thought I would be able to raise my leg sideways while laying on my side at first. After doing so, I continued to work these, and it helped a lot. Still do.

And yes, I can sleep on either side now as well, though that took some time and recovery before it was comfortable.

sam.g
02-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Pars

Actually loss of sideways flexibility is one of the biggest factors in my decision to go for a hip replacement. It seems that I still have quite a bit of strength in-line, but can't even throw a leg over the saddle now and I've even fallen a few times after catching my shoe on the top tube. Plus using the abductor and aductor (sp?) machines at the gym has been quite painful.

So can I presume that a big portion of PT will involve the hip flexor?

Sam in Cincy

sparky33
08-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Reviving this thread...

I'm getting a left side THR (anterior) next week.

Question:
About how long does it take to regain the flexibility to ride a road bike again? Something about not to bending my leg beyond 90d for six weeks? After that, I'm thinking it will take a while to get back to normal cycling flexion (115d or so) - my riding posture is not extreme. Hopefully youth, fitness and determination will help here.

As soon as I'm cleared to do so, I'm thinking of setting up a bike on a turbo trainer with the hbars raised waaaay up to start and maybe work down as flexibility improves.

What have you done to get back to cycling after a THR?
Any words of wisdom?

quattro
08-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Sparky33, I'm now 2.5+ years out from my THR and doing great!
As far as time to regain flexibility to ride again I think it somewhat depends on the type of procedure you have. I was back on my wind trainer in 6 days. The newer minimally invasive techniques typically do not have any restrictions.
Before you go forward you should learn about these types of procedures, they have you up and about much quicker than the older traditional THR methods. Not being able to bend your leg beyond 90d for six weeks does not sound like a minimally invasive approach.
Check out my first post about Super Capsulotomy (Super CAP), google it and there is an animated video of the procedure, very cool!

PM me if you have other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Best of luck,
quattro

Lewis Moon
08-25-2015, 10:00 AM
Had a THR about 2 years ago. Best. Thing. Ever...Ever ever. I was walking within 8 hours, home within 48, on the stationary bike within a week and in the saddle the 5th week. I raced the State hill climb championship 6 months later. I'm a field biologist so I hike, carry heavy backpacks, stand, and am just generally active. I ride between 140 - 250 miles per week and will be racing 'cross this year.
My doc used the "Super Path" procedure. I was 56 when I had it done.

Did I mention it was the best thing ever?

sparky33
08-25-2015, 10:05 AM
As far as time to regain flexibility to ride again I think it somewhat depends on the type of procedure you have. I was back on my wind trainer in 6 days. The newer minimally invasive techniques typically do not have any restrictions.
Before you go forward you should learn about these types of procedures, they have you up and about much quicker than the older traditional THR methods. Not being able to bend your leg beyond 90d for six weeks does not sound like a minimally invasive approach.

I'll read up on the Super Capsulotomy.

To be honest, the surgeon hasn't prescribed specific post-op limitations yet. The PT at the pre-op class mentioned some period of limited range, but I cannot remember the details. There was some 6-week benchmark, but that might have been for something else besides flexibility. I'll have to double check with the surgeon...he does minimally invasive anterior THR.

In any case, I'm pretty excited about the whole thing because it means I can put a lot of pain and frustration behind me.

sparky33
08-25-2015, 10:18 AM
on the stationary bike within a week and in the saddle the 5th week.

So were you able to sit on your bike as usual at week 5, or did you have to adjust/relax your fit and position for a little while?

Lewis Moon
08-25-2015, 10:32 AM
So were you able to sit on your bike as usual at week 5, or did you have to adjust/relax your fit and position for a little while?

Not at all. A couple of caveats: I was in great shape going in. The doc said that he LOVED patients like me. I was on a mission post surgery. My PT basically cut me loose 2 weeks post op because I worked out every day and passed all my milestones for recovery within the first week and a half. The only real position change on my bike was to raise the saddle a bit and lower the stem. More aero.
You get out of it what you put in. Be diligent about doing your PT exercises on off days.

sparky33
08-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Not at all. A couple of caveats: I was in great shape going in. The doc said that he LOVED patients like me. I was on a mission post surgery....
You get out of it what you put in. Be diligent about doing your PT exercises on off days.

I am trying to keep my expectations reasonable... but I am also on a mission.

sparky33
08-25-2015, 12:15 PM
As far as time to regain flexibility to ride again I think it somewhat depends on the type of procedure you have. ...Not being able to bend your leg beyond 90d for six weeks does not sound like a minimally invasive approach.

Quattro, Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I just checked with the surgeon on this 90d thing, and the surgeon said there aren't any post-op motion limits, but I should avoid crossing my legs or any bridging (lifting my pelvis up while laying down) for a couple weeks. I can bend my hip past 90d, tie my shoes, sit normally etc as soon as I'm comfortable doing so...several days probably.
So glad that I checked on that!

sparky33
09-05-2015, 01:26 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/05/2736e4e68b0ea1dfd2f832516377f49f.jpg
day 3 post-op.
I had some episodes of painful muscle spasms, but things are actually not too bad. I'm getting to know my ice packs really well.

sam.g
09-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Sparky,

It may be painful now but the recovery is much faster than for a knee replacement. I started PT 3 days after surgery and only need 8 sessions before my therapist recommend that I could continue on my own. Started riding at 10 weeks, very slowly at first and flat but my cycling strength came back quickly. At around 14 weeks I rode a century averaging over 16 mph.

So stick with your PT, you'll be back on the road before Xmas.

Sam in Cincy

quattro
09-05-2015, 03:58 PM
Glad to hear you are over the surgery and into the recovery and P/T. You are on your way, you'll be on a wind trainer this coming week! Keep icing, icing, icing and do your daily P/T, way to go!!:beer:

quattro

weisan
09-05-2015, 04:26 PM
sparky pal, here's wishing you well on your recovery and getting back on the bike soon.

gary135r
09-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Had a THR about 2 years ago. Best. Thing. Ever...Ever ever. I was walking within 8 hours, home within 48, on the stationary bike within a week and in the saddle the 5th week. I raced the State hill climb championship 6 months later. I'm a field biologist so I hike, carry heavy backpacks, stand, and am just generally active. I ride between 140 - 250 miles per week and will be racing 'cross this year.
My doc used the "Super Path" procedure. I was 56 when I had it done.

Did I mention it was the best thing ever?
I am getting close. Just had a lot of medical procedures in the last eight years and hate to give up summer riding, and when the snows comes I need to snow blow, rake the roof, and shovel. Plus, I drive a manual shift car. There never seems to be the right time, Rationalizing I know.

Kingfisher
09-06-2015, 06:29 AM
you'll be fine and wishing you a fast recovery.
had mine done in 2006 and have to remind myself that i even have an artificial hip. you will be happy to resume all normal activities without pain
pm me if you want to discus

Cornfed
09-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Actually it was my hip going bad from years of running that led me to cycling. I had mine done in 2008 and except when I go to the airport, I don't even think about it anymore.

The only way it affects my cycling is that I have to move my left cleat inward to accommodate the wider artificial hip. Otherwise all good.

Good luck!

chasea
09-06-2015, 12:21 PM
I've got mine scheduled in a few weeks.

Excited and terrified all at one.

merlincustom1
09-06-2015, 06:00 PM
I'm 11 months out from an anterior THR. Went home the same day, no formal PT, just six exercises 3 times a day and a lot of walking. The day after I walked two miles over 3-4 walks with a walker the first week, and then on to a single point cane. I was on the indoor trainer on day 5 for 20 minutes, up to an hour by two weeks, rode outdoors for an hour by three weeks. Back to the gym doing full lower body stuff at 16 weeks. By six months it felt like the one I was born with. Absolutely no loss in cycling or any other ability. There are no positional restrictions with the direct anterior approach. I was 57 at the time. Surgeon was Bill Hozack in Philadelphia.

sparky33
09-06-2015, 09:11 PM
I'm 11 months out from an anterior THR. Went home the same day, no formal PT, just six exercises 3 times a day and a lot of walking. The day after I walked two miles over 3-4 walks with a walker the first week, and then on to a single point cane. I was on the indoor trainer on day 5 for 20 minutes.

Wowza....same day home...2 miles day after. Wow.

sparky33
09-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Excited and terrified all at one.

100% with you there.

Maybe sounds kind of crazy but the discomfort of living with a worn out hip was far worse than any discomfort relating to the surgery and recovery....fwiw
but OxyContin-constipation kind of sucks.