PDA

View Full Version : +1 Paceline

rugbysecondrow
12-11-2012, 06:59 AM
With the thread before talking about what The Paceline isn't, I would like to give a shout out to what The Paceline is:

1) Still a group of folks I would like to ride with, and have ridden with. Sure, it is an internet forum, but there are real people here and that is easy to forget...I know I still make this mistake.
2) A thread a trust. Just like with life, this can be broken occasionally, but it exists and that is of great value (both in the information/advice given and and the goods sold)
3) The Mods (even BBD). :) I don't always agree, but they also care more than I and they put in the work. +1
4) The Builder Spotlight section...Very cool, well organized and I think it will be a great library for others to use.
5) The Showcase section...very cool and lots of potential, I look forward to it being developed.

There is my top 5. I could keep going, but you get the gist.

firerescuefin
12-11-2012, 07:16 AM
With the thread before talking about what The Paceline isn't, I would like to give a shout out to what The Paceline is:

1) Still a group of folks I would like to ride with, and have ridden with. Sure, it is an internet forum, but there are real people here and that is easy to forget...I know I still make this mistake.
2) A thread a trust. Just like with life, this can be broken occasionally, but it exists and that is of great value (both in the information/advice given and and the goods sold)
3) The Mods (even BBD). :) I don't always agree, but they also care more than I and they put in the work. +1
4) The Builder Spotlight section...Very cool, well organized and I think it will be a great library for others to use.
5) The Showcase section...very cool and lots of potential, I look forward to it being developed.

There is my top 5. I could keep going, but you get the gist.

Word:cool:

Have ridden with, hosted folks in our home, been hosted in others, talked to quite a few...and have exchanged ideas and encouragement with many. Means some to more than others. I like it here!

nighthawk
12-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks for posting, Rugby.

Despite the occasional thorn in the tire (I won't mention any names :) )... I would say the Paceline is rolling right along... and has been a pleasant ride so far.

Unfortunately, I don't get much bike talk in my real world... so despite the madness (and sometimes because of)... this is still my go-to spot for all things cycling related.

Thanks mods, thanks members.

Elefantino
12-11-2012, 07:25 AM
6) Passion. It's riding bikes, sure, but we all seem to really, really care about it and like to share. I'd much rather Internet hang with folks who get excited/torqued/angry about the S word than those who think it rhymes with "boat-a." Same goes for Campy vs. Shimano, clinchers vs. tubulars, custom vs. stock, ti vs. steel vs. carbon vs. alu, HandleBra vs. just about everything else, LA vs. the truth, dancing bananas vs. curmudgeons who don't like dancing bananas, etc.

It's all good stuff.

BumbleBeeDave
12-11-2012, 07:38 AM
3) The Mods (even BBD). :) . . .

:rolleyes: :p

Of course, there are people who have been saying for years that I'm a bit touched . . . ;)

BBD

thegunner
12-11-2012, 07:41 AM
6) Passion. It's riding bikes, sure, but we all seem to really, really care about it and like to share. I'd much rather Internet hang with folks who get excited/torqued/angry about the S word than those who think it rhymes with "boat-a." Same goes for Campy vs. Shimano, clinchers vs. tubulars, custom vs. stock, ti vs. steel vs. carbon vs. alu, HandleBra vs. just about everything else, LA vs. the truth, dancing bananas vs. curmudgeons who don't like dancing bananas, etc.

It's all good stuff.

wait wait wait... handlebra is up for debate?

William
12-11-2012, 07:58 AM
I've met, conversed with, and ridden with many people on the forum over the years. Meeting great folks and learning from the expertise that so many share here has been wonderful.:cool:

A great group of folks!

William

Dave B
12-11-2012, 08:05 AM
I still think this place is a home for many of us. There are folks here who feel like family. Even if it is a virtual beginning, I have spoken with folks about life, love, and the pursuit of parts.

I consider several people here simply the type of person I hope to emmulate some day.

Often times we forget that in our quest to prove someone wrong on the internet people begin to become attached to each other. I have never found another place like this even in the real life we all also partake in.

FlashUNC
12-11-2012, 08:12 AM
http://dougengphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CoolPlace-300x280.jpg

67-59
12-11-2012, 08:13 AM
Agreed.

I have not met other forumites in person, but this is my go-to place to discuss and learn about all things cycling-related and I feel a kinship with other members. That will continue regardless of the recent change.

texbike
12-11-2012, 08:14 AM
1. The people - I've met a bunch of really great people through this forum, had a chance to ride with quite a few of them, and have have been invited for dinner/beers/etc while in other cities. There are a BUNCH more folks on here that I hope to have a chance to have drinks with and ride with at some point.

2. The bikes - Wow! Drool, drool, drool.... The concentration of really cool bikes here is unsurpassed.

3. The knowledge and life experiences - There is a great variety of backgrounds, ages, and careers represented on this forum that brings an incredible level of knowledge on multiple topics including bikes, training, art, music, finance, pets, houses, history, food/wine, etc.

Thanks everyone for contributing to my favorite forum and making it what it is!

Texbike

slidey
12-11-2012, 08:35 AM
+1

Fantastic place that has a feel of the real-world to it

http://dougengphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CoolPlace-300x280.jpg

moose8
12-11-2012, 08:37 AM
It's also good for travel tips - I went to some great places in New Orleans I never would have known about but for the kind advice of a forum user.

rugbysecondrow
12-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Of course, there are people who have been saying for years that I'm a bit touched . . . ;)

BBD

In the spirit of giving, I thought I would give you a hard time. :fight:

:)

Ahneida Ride
12-11-2012, 10:09 AM
That HB guy has got to go.
Donates no frns and is always pushing his stuff for free.

Climb01742
12-11-2012, 10:10 AM
we're a community. we try to help each other. we share what we know. over time, we come to care about the folks here. we get to see, and learn about, cool stuff, some of it even related to bikes. what's not to like about all that?

we ain't perfect, but we are human. and in the end, i'll take humanity any day.

peace.;)

esldude
12-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I will add my voice to the chorus of holding this place in high regard.

And thanks for those with the often thankless task of moderation and maintenance of such a site.

joep2517
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Paceline has been a great find for me. I usually sit back and watch and what I see are people who have a genuine love for all things bike, and that's pretty cool.

I'm glad I came upon this site!

1centaur
12-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Anybody annoyed by this forum should be forced to stick to any other bike forum every day for a week and then reconsider. There's a (relative) lack of uptightness here that comes with experience of more than bikes. I wish I saw more of it in regular life, let alone the Internet.

Steve in SLO
12-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Agree with the spirit of this forum being community-like.
It's really the only interest forum I hit with regularity because I like the subject matter, the people and the vibe.
I DO have to say that you folks in the North/East get a little testy as fall/winter arrives.:butt:

Pete Mckeon
12-11-2012, 07:09 PM
You, Keith and the mods do a excellent PACELINE!

BBD

Llewellyn
12-11-2012, 07:27 PM
I came over from somewhere else.

I like it here.

ctcyclistbob
12-11-2012, 08:07 PM
This is my favorite bike forum, by far.

Mr. Squirrel
12-12-2012, 10:00 AM
i do enjoy this friendly local. so many bright people with very nice shiny wheels the make me want to bound into the road to show you how happy they make me. i would be very humble to reside in any of your attics. where do you live?

mr. squirrel

Ahneida Ride
12-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I'd like this establishment a lot better if they would release me from
double secret probation. :eek: :rolleyes:

BCS
12-12-2012, 10:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxuHYVmWlmU

Always room for improvement but a pretty damn good forum!