PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclists now 9% of all traffic deaths

Ken Robb
12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
I just saw this reported on the evening news. Stay tuned for details of how the report was generated but I was very surprised by a number that high.

The commentator said it was speculated that the rise was due to increased numbers of commuters.

rice rocket
12-10-2012, 07:33 PM
I think you got it mixed up. Rose 8.7% != accounts for 8.7%.

In 2010, there were 618 deaths, which is ~2% (source (http://www.nhtsa.gov/Bicycles)).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/bicycle-large-truck-deaths-rose-sharply-last-year-even-as-total-traffic-fatalities-dropped/2012/12/10/0fe4b8c6-430b-11e2-8c8f-fbebf7ccab4e_story.html

Louis
12-10-2012, 07:47 PM
There are two ways to normalize the ~2% number:

1) By miles bicyclists have ridden on the road (vs miles run by runners, walked by walkers, and driven by drivers)

2) By actual hours spent on the road.

Personally, I think #2 is the best way to figure out if 2% of deaths is a high number or not.

djg21
12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Here is the link to the NHSTA FARS Report: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811701.pdf

On page 2:

"Among nonoccupants, pedalcyclist
fatalities increased by 8.7 percent, while pedalcyclists
injured decreased by 7.7 percent from 2010 to 2011."

BumbleBeeDave
12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
. . . is that it WAS reported on the evening news.

The more discussion about dangers of cycling--and how they can be reduced--the better. It makes people think about it and how to make it better. and it gives cycling advocates a platform for arguing for improved infrastructure, driver (and cyclist) education, and an equal place at the transportation table for cyclists.

BBD

rice rocket
12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
. . . is that it WAS reported on the evening news.

The more discussion about dangers of cycling--and how they can be reduced--the better. It makes people think about it and how to make it better. and it gives cycling advocates a platform for arguing for improved infrastructure, driver (and cyclist) education, and an equal place at the transportation table for cyclists.

BBD

As a cyclist, that's what you'd think, but it usually elicits reactions like "that's why they should get off the road".

BumbleBeeDave
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
. . to reply that we have an equal right to be there and they better get used to it. It also gives us a chance to put public pressure on authorities to enforce traffic laws equally.

BBD

Louis
12-10-2012, 08:20 PM
. . to reply that we have an equal right to be there and they better get used to it. It also gives us a chance to put public pressure on authorities to enforce traffic laws equally.

Unfortunately there are more of "them" than there are of "us," and like many minorities sometimes our rights are trampled by the majority.

weiwentg
12-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Unfortunately there are more of "them" than there are of "us," and like many minorities sometimes our rights are trampled by the majority.

That is why we need more cyclists on the road. The more of us there are, the more of a political constituency there will be, the more drivers will have to learn to get used to us. And we are getting a lot more people cycling, especially in the cities.

rugbysecondrow
12-11-2012, 06:35 AM

BBD

Maybe, maybe not. When there is another slow moving vehicle on the road, farm implement, tractor etc, there is a special sign on the back of that vehicle articulating it as a slow moving vehicle. It also has blinking lights and other equipment. Cyclists, it seems, want to use the road however they want to use it, whether it be recreating, commuting, work etc, but how many lights, reflectors do you regularly see? The notion that motorists just have to "get used to cyclists" and deal with it, that is not how a relationship works, that is not feasible. Standards should develop, but cyclist ought to know that standards will be tickets, enforcement and holding cyclist accountable. If cyclists want to be part of traffic and want the same access as other vehicles, then be aware that you might get what you ask for.

I agree, cycling safety is important to talk about, but what is MORE important is not how car impact our safety but rather how we can impact our own safety. Lights, reflectors, route choice etc. Even slow moving vehicles often choose less populated routes and times of day best to travel so as to impact traffic less. We ought to control what we can control.

As this relationship develops in the US between motorists and cyclists, we must also be aware that the line might not be drawn where WE want it, but rather a compromise of sorts. It is not a "we are right, you are wrong, accept us" mentality that will get anywhere. Pushing for more legistlation, be aware that what you ask for might be quite different than what you get. More motorists, voters, deeper coffers etc. You might get a compromise which is ill-suited to your desires.

Aaron O
12-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Maybe, maybe not. When there is another slow moving vehicle on the road, farm implement, tractor etc, there is a special sign on the back of that vehicle articulating it as a slow moving vehicle. It also has blinking lights and other equipment. Cyclists, it seems, want to use the road however they want to use it, whether it be recreating, commuting, work etc, but how many lights, reflectors do you regularly see? The notion that motorists just have to "get used to cyclists" and deal with it, that is not how a relationship works, that is not feasible. Standards should develop, but cyclist ought to know that standards will be tickets, enforcement and holding cyclist accountable. If cyclists what to be part of traffic and want the same access as other vehicles, then be aware that you might get what you ask for.

I agree, cycling safety is important to talk about, but what is MORE important is not how car impact our safety but rather how we can impact our own safety. Lights, reflectors, route choice etc. Even slow moving vehicles often choose less populated routes and times of day best to travel so as to impact traffic less. We ought to control what we can control.

As this relationship develops in the US between motorists and cyclists, we must also be aware that the line might not be drawn where WE want it, but rather a compromise of sorts. It is not a "we are right, you are wrong, accept us" mentality that will get anywhere. Pushing for more legistlation, be aware that what you ask for might be quite different than what you get. More motorists, voters, deeper coffers etc. You might get a compromise which is ill-suited to your desires.
+1 - the more of us there are annoying faster moving traffic, the more we're on the radar. I'm happy with the status quo in my area.

BumbleBeeDave
12-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Maybe, maybe not.

. . . enforcing laws equally on both motorists AND cyclists. I think many motorists are justifiably annoyed by the actions of cyclists, just as we are by actions from drivers.

BBD

oldpotatoe
12-11-2012, 07:59 AM
. . . enforcing laws equally on both motorists AND cyclists. I think many motorists are justifiably annoyed by the actions of cyclists, just as we are by actions from drivers.

BBD

Hear, hear. BUT, with shrinking police force sizes(less $), don't expect cyclists to be targeted any more than they are now(not really at all).

I still think a little peer enforcement works if the knucklehead hears it enough times.

JLP
12-11-2012, 11:09 AM
So I'd encourage everyone who is passionate about this issue to consider helping out their local advocacy community. Help out with time. With money. With ideas. Whatever you can afford. Sure, it feels like pushing on rope, but in the long term it will help.

cachagua
12-11-2012, 12:30 PM
"The more of us there are annoying faster moving traffic, the more we're on the radar" -- that's Critical Mass's line. But do you want to be on the navigation radar or the fire-control radar? Making an annoyance of oneself can't be expected to foster good relations. In any case, "awareness" isn't the problem -- drivers know there are cyclists around. Sometimes we don't treat each other right, is all.

Here's a question: some people ride extensively for years and years in heavy traffic, and never have a serious problem. (Same for driving, come to that.) What are they doing right? Characterizing the successful techniques and creating training programs might make a big difference.

weiwentg
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM

BBD

+1 on that.

I think we have to remember that most regular commuters have much heavier bikes than we do, and they're less conditioned, so it's harder to accelerate. This is why people tend not to obey traffic lights and stop signs. but it can lead to annoying behavior - I've seen a lot of cyclists cut off pedestrians who have got the light in DC. It creates enemies.

I'd like to see the Idaho stop (where red light = stop sign and stop sign = yield sign for cyclists) codified and enforced. But as oldpotatoe said, police departments are stretched and it is going to take quite a bit of effort to add a fairly high-volume enforcement task. so most cyclists will treat the Idaho stop as if they have the right of way regardless.

Mark McM
12-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I think you got it mixed up. Rose 8.7% != accounts for 8.7%.

In 2010, there were 618 deaths, which is ~2% (source (http://www.nhtsa.gov/Bicycles)).

Wait, here's a better headline:

"Despite advances in motor vehicle safety training and technology, motorists still acount for 98% of traffic fatalities."

Get those dangerous cars off the road NOW!

Aaron O
12-11-2012, 01:21 PM
"The more of us there are annoying faster moving traffic, the more we're on the radar" -- that's Critical Mass's line. But do you want to be on the navigation radar or the fire-control radar? Making an annoyance of oneself can't be expected to foster good relations. In any case, "awareness" isn't the problem -- drivers know there are cyclists around. Sometimes we don't treat each other right, is all.

Here's a question: some people ride extensively for years and years in heavy traffic, and never have a serious problem. (Same for driving, come to that.) What are they doing right? Characterizing the successful techniques and creating training programs might make a big difference.

I think you seriously mis-read my comment - specifically the second part stating I'm happy with the status quo. Go back and read it again - keeping in mind the connection with the prior post. I am NOT advocating asserting my "rights".

zap
12-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Cyclists, it seems, want to use the road however they want to use it, whether it be recreating, commuting, work etc, but how many lights, reflectors do you regularly see?

Lights and reflectors for cyclists are not required during daylight no matter how slow one cycles.

I have no clue what you mean by cyclists want to use the road however they want to use it. I mean the imagination runs wild but I doubt you are going there.........

DukeHorn
12-11-2012, 03:49 PM
At least in SF, you see motorists acknowledge stop signs and stoplights whereas a number of cyclists use them for "guidance" purposes only (if that). I'm all for equal enforcement, which really means cracking down on cycling commuters in SF.

cachagua
12-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Hello Aaron -- maybe you meant "annoying" figuratively? Like, the more bike riders there are, the more inescapable it'll be to motorists that there are bike riders everywhere?

I've got no problem with that.

Llewellyn
12-12-2012, 01:40 AM
I still think a little peer enforcement works if the knucklehead hears it enough times.

Over here, if you try to admonish a cyclist (or a driver for that matter) about doing something wrong all you're likely to get is a two fingered salute followed by "go f**k yourself"

Hopefully, it's different in Boulder.

Louis
12-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Over here, if you try to admonish a cyclist (or a driver for that matter) about doing something wrong all you're likely to get is a two fingered salute followed by "go f**k yourself"

@holes. But someone has to at least try to make them realize that their actions affect the rest of us, and not in a positive manner.

oldpotatoe
12-12-2012, 08:10 AM

Hopefully, it's different in Boulder.

It's not. I have never had a cyclist say he was sorry and will do better in the future. I had one guy ask me, 'do you know who I am?'..some sort of MTB race winner or something, as if it mattered.

I try to point out there is a 'why' people in cars seem to hate people on bicycles..and them running a red light is one reason..deaf ears mostly.

But I still try. I try to be courteous, not confrontational but if they 'fook you'..I return the favor.

BumbleBeeDave
12-12-2012, 08:39 AM
. . . of total operators who are A-holes on bikes and in cars seems about the same from my experience. Same for the gym. Don't tell that muscly guy--no matter how nicely--that he's about to shear off a rotator cuff. He already knows it all.

BBD

shovelhd
12-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I could say the same thing about the Cat5's I teach at the clinic :)

Chance
12-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Not surprising considering our national mindset seems to be shifting quickly towards a purer democracy where 51 percent of people can dictate policy over the other 49 percent with little regard to personal rights. We should expect that drivers who outnumber cyclists by something like 100:1 will have no qualms over telling us where to insert our bike’s seat post.

We should learn from other social trends. When people talk about personal freedom, freedom of choice, and so on they only mean theirs, not anyone else’s who they may be suppressing to secure and or protect their own.

It would surprise me incredibly so if all of the sudden Americans became less self-absorbed and much more civil about bikes on roads. Not until we become the 51 percent majority. For the foreseeable future it will likely keep getting worse just like every other divisive subject affecting society.

rugbysecondrow
12-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Not surprising considering our national mindset seems to be shifting quickly towards a purer democracy where 51 percent of people can dictate policy over the other 49 percent with little regard to personal rights. We should expect that drivers who outnumber cyclists by something like 100:1 will have no qualms over telling us where to insert our bike’s seat post.

We should learn from other social trends. When people talk about personal freedom, freedom of choice, and so on they only mean theirs, not anyone else’s who they may be suppressing to secure and or protect their own.

It would surprise me incredibly so if all of the sudden Americans became less self-absorbed and much more civil about bikes on roads. Not until we become the 51 percent majority. For the foreseeable future it will likely keep getting worse just like every other divisive subject affecting society.

Blacks folks for centuries had rights trampled upon. Women for centuries had rights trampled upon. Cyclists, I don't think so. What rights are actually being trampled? It is easy to say, but is it actually true? Sure, there are isolated incidents of assholes, but that is not the same as system which tramples rights. Truthfully, for the most part, we ride free from undu interferance or else many of us would just choose a different hobby.

This is not to say that motorists and cycilsts all couldn't use a crash course in civility, but that is far ways away from saying rights are being trampled upon.

Llewellyn
12-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I should say in all fairness that the majority of drivers over here aren't actually that bad. By that I mean that while most of them would probably rather not have cyclists on the road, they don't care enough to want to give you a hard time and will just let you get on with it.

Of course, it's the small percentage of a**eholes that will harass you and give you grief, or worse, just because you're taking up a metre or so of the road.

Fortunately, in my years of riding, I haven't had anyone do anything that's been life-threatening, but I've had the occasional abuse and close call.

But I claim my place on the road, always try to be courteous to other road users, obey the road rules and always keep an eye on what's going on try to anticipate things. Maybe that helps, or maybe I've just been lucky - I don't know