PDA

View Full Version : Last ride of the season?

dave thompson
10-23-2005, 10:50 PM
I hope not.

Fall has done fell here in north east Washington. It's close to freezing at night and often struggles to get up into the high 50's during the day. Saturday my wife and I decided it was too beautiful a day to let it go by without saying perhaps goodbye to the riding season. When we left Spokane it was 42 at 10AM and we rode to the far end of Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho. It was a spectacular day and crystal clear. The leaves had turned and were starting to fall, so both the earth and sky were on fire with Autumn's colors. There were very few other riders on the Centennial Trail, a few walkers and some folks with rollerblades and poles getting ready for the ski season.

It's almost 100 miles from Spokane to the end of Lake Coeur d'Alene and back, which is a long ride for us. But as the day warmed into the low 60's we didn't really want it to end. It was just too nice. Actually it was perfect.

Fixed
10-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Bro sounds great, nice that the two of you could enjoy it together.cheers :beer:

Dekonick
10-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Sounds like it was the perfect ride on the perfectday.

I did 32 today with 3 layers, knee warmers, baclava and the fixxie - I froze my arse off (only 58 but it felt like 40...)

I hate it when temps just dump with no warning - how are you supposed to get used to the drop?!?

Ken Robb
10-24-2005, 07:47 PM
don't laugh but I put fenders on my Riv Allrounder yesterday. In San Diego we are having "misty" days from a thick marine layer--the Chamber of Commerce won't let the weatherman say "Rain".

We are so spoiled I won't start a ride when it's raining but I'll be able to go out after it stops while the roads are still wet.

I guess seeing the Brooks randoneur bikes inspired me.

BumbleBeeDave
10-24-2005, 07:55 PM
. . . of you. We are on track for having the wettest October ever here in the Capital Region, according to the TV weather dude. Beautiful the first week of the month (when I was off work--HA!) But then nothing but rain and clouds since then.

I did 30 last Saturday on my mtb. Got soaked, the bike got filthy, and it felt so good to get in that hot shower when I got home. I hope that’s not MY last ride of the season, but things aren’t looking good right now. 10 day forecast on weather.com today had exactly ONE day in the next 10 that didn’t have a little raincloud picture next to it! :crap: :butt: :( :mad:

BBDave

Dekonick
10-24-2005, 08:07 PM
. . . of you. We are on track for having the wettest October ever here in the Capital Region, according to the TV weather dude. Beautiful the first week of the month (when I was off work--HA!) But then nothing but rain and clouds since then.

I did 30 last Saturday on my mtb. Got soaked, the bike got filthy, and it felt so good to get in that hot shower when I got home. I hope that’s not MY last ride of the season, but things aren’t looking good right now. 10 day forecast on weather.com today had exactly ONE day in the next 10 that didn’t have a little raincloud picture next to it! :crap: :butt: :( :mad:

BBDave

I know :crap: :crap: :crap:

Frustration
10-25-2005, 08:49 AM
I actually used arm warmers for the first time Saturday...

That's just about the time that some folks are hanging things up (or moving things in...). Of course right around the time you're pulling bikes out, I can't ride past 11-am or I'll burst into flames...

Nice ride though, I am so lacking in Romance that I would love some help from the elements more than simply having a time of year where you won't actually stick together when humping. :cool: