PDA

View Full Version : My latest CSI Purchase

Rebel_Biker
12-09-2012, 10:48 AM
In my never ending quest to collect the finest steel racing bikes, I have added another sweet bike to the stable.

If anyone knows the year and exact geo of this guy, I would love to know. I think it might be custom. Serial number is CC 58 1642.

I am thinking on building it with some modern components that will complement the quill stem, and retro look, as much as possible. I don't like the way stem adapters look to use 31.8 stems and bars.

Andrewlcox
12-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm glad to see it ended up here on our forum. I watched it sell both times recently on eBay.

It may be custom geometry but I'm no expert.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078

I'm also the new owner of a CSI frameset with very similar geometry. I need everything to make it a complete bike. I hope I can get it built before Springtime.

Congratulations,
Andy

SoCalSteve
12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
In my never ending quest to collect the finest steel racing bikes, I have added another sweet bike to the stable.

If anyone knows the year and exact geo of this guy, I would love to know. I think it might be custom. Serial number is CC 58 1642.

I am thinking on building it with some modern components that will complement the quill stem, and retro look, as much as possible. I don't like the way stem adapters look to use 31.8 stems and bars.

The first "C" means its custom...the second "C" means its a CSI. So yes, it's custom geo.

Rebel_Biker
12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks

I am excited to ride this one. I have a NOS, that has never been ridden. I kind of keep it as wall art. My GF is not too happy about that.

This one will be ridden often.

The geo looks perfect for me. My rude measurements are:

HT 16.5
TT 57
ST 58

I am almost a perfect 57 square fit. I usually like a little larger HT. My Cervelo R3 fit perfectly with a smashed stem and 6 degree negative stem.

dekindy
12-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Are you sure the CC does not mean Colorado Concept? I have an older Colorado that the serial number is CC 59.

rwsaunders
12-09-2012, 11:37 AM
That's the 7-11 paint job...my favorite.

http://velosniper.blogspot.com/2008/10/bob-rolls-1988-7-11-team-serotta-huffy.html

Ken Robb
12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Are you sure the CC does not mean Colorado Concept? I have an older Colorado that the serial number is CC 59.

I think if there are 2 letters leading the serial # and the first one is "C" it means custom so you probably have a custom Colorado. I think the Colorado was a fore runner of the CSi.

RE: Rebel's bike--It looks like the Csi decal on the top tube also has "Custom" written across the "CSi" which would remove any doubt that it is a custom frame.

Rebel_Biker
12-09-2012, 12:49 PM
I think if there are 2 letters leading the serial # and the first one is "C" it means custom so you probably have a custom Colorado. I think the Colorado was a fore runner of the CSi.

RE: Rebel's bike--It looks like the Csi decal on the top tube also has "Custom" written across the "CSi" which would remove any doubt that it is a custom frame.

It is most probably custom. That is painted on the frame.

Ken Robb
12-09-2012, 03:16 PM
It is most probably custom. That is painted on the frame.

Yep-that is what I thought I saw in your first photo.

mike p
12-09-2012, 03:58 PM
That's a beauty!

Mike

LegendRider
12-09-2012, 07:20 PM
That's the 7-11 paint job...my favorite.

http://velosniper.blogspot.com/2008/10/bob-rolls-1988-7-11-team-serotta-huffy.html

That's funny because you used to own that frame! In fact, so did I - bought it in September 2007. I have email correspondence confirming the serial number of CC-58-1642. To further authenticate, the head mechanic at my local shop, The Bicycle Link (r.i.p.), built it for me and added the sticker to the chainstay.

Ultimately, I sold it to a Forumite in Texas who had it back in the classifieds a few years ago.

shovelhd
12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Very nice.

Dude
12-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Serial number designation for a CSI was "cs.". A custom frame had a "c" that preceded the frame designation. For example C-CS-58-1234 was a custom CSI with a 58 seat tube or loosely based on a 58 stock frame and it was the 1234th frame produced of that model. There are wiser people in this board who could probably zero in on the year and maybe they'll chime in.

I'm not sure exactly but that frame is probably a 97 give or take. The dual ear dropouts (first generation) were introduced in 99 so that frame was pre 99.

Andrewlcox
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
The 2001 Serotta catalog has a picture of that exact color scheme bike so maybe it's a 2001.

Rebel_Biker
12-09-2012, 09:09 PM
That's funny because you used to own that frame! In fact, so did I - bought it in September 2007. I have email correspondence confirming the serial number of CC-58-1642. To further authenticate, the head mechanic at my local shop, The Bicycle Link (r.i.p.), built it for me and added the sticker to the chainstay.

Ultimately, I sold it to a Forumite in Texas who had it back in the classifieds a few years ago.

Glad we are all getting to enjoy this one

Fivethumbs
12-09-2012, 11:16 PM
That frame is such a cool frame it makes me wonder why it wasn't a keeper for the previous owners?

Rebel_Biker
12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
That frame is such a cool frame it makes me wonder why it wasn't a keeper for the previous owners?

I will keep it for some time. It looks to be in good condition.

rwsaunders
12-10-2012, 05:13 PM

As I recall, I bought it for the fact that it was a CSI, it was in excellent shape and the paint was awesome. I should've trusted Dave Thompson regarding the size, though...it was too small for me but I thought that I could make it work. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of geo.

When I saw the post, I thought that it might be the same bike, but I didn't have the sn's like LegendRider...good memory Mark. Dave Kirk graciously helped locate the funky brass washers at the cable adjuster braze-ons too.

Steve Hampsten has posted some of his wares in a similar paint scheme. If I ever order a new bike or send one in for a repaint, that's my scheme. Can't wait to see this one built again.