PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Mavic R-SYS Premium Wheels

brownm68
12-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Hello,

I'm considering purchasing a pair of Mavic R-SYS Premium Wheels from a fellow forumite here. These are the post recall versions. Can someone that own/ridden give me some feedback? The asking price is good. Just want to know if the wheelset is good. Thank you n advance for your help

Jeff N.
12-09-2012, 08:21 AM
My experience was less than positive. Sold them after one ride. Ate a coupla hundred in the process. Jeff N.

AngryScientist
12-09-2012, 08:23 AM
i have no experience with them, but IMO - they should have changed the name after the recall. the name r-sys will always be synonymous with "death wheels" in my mind. probably not based in fact, but perception is a powerful thing either way.

Bruce K
12-09-2012, 08:41 AM
The bike I rented in Boulder for last year's Road to Victory had a set on it.

I did 2 rides totalling about 120 miles. Climbed Left-Hand Canyon and descended at about 35-40 mph.

They seemed solid enough and rolled decently.

Not my favorite wheel and I don't feel the "need" for a set.

BK

brownm68
12-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Thank you to everyone for your feedback. It's much appreciated:)

Nooch
12-10-2012, 07:26 AM
my issue with them are the carbon spokes -- if someone crosses wheels with you (and you stay upright) you're cracking them. Guy I ride with was using em, had someone rub up on his rear wheel, NDS, and about 4-6 spokes had cracks in em. The spokes didn't explode, and he finished the ride and got back to the shop, but they were soon on the chopping block.

Liv2RideHard
12-10-2012, 08:25 AM
One of the guys in our group cracked one last weekend. Didn't hit anything, no trauma to the wheel as far as we know.