PDA

View Full Version : experience with GP-4season tyres?

AngryScientist
12-08-2012, 08:33 PM
lately i've been riding more when the roads are pretty wet and i've been getting a rash of flats. admittedly my fixed gear is running open corsas, which i adore for grip, feel and handling, are just no good at flat protection.

my bike has tight clearances, so 23mm tires are what i need to run.

thinking about going for a set of continental GP-4seasons, any feedback on these?

fiamme red
12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
I like these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/24068-320_MAXRF2-3-Parts-400-Tires/Road/Maxxis-Re-Fuse-Tire-23c-offerIN212GLP.htm?utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&zmam=3075515&zmas=2&zmac=86&zmap=24068&gclid=CKGmvq-XjLQCFQqe4AodAlsA9g

GuyGadois
12-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I run the 28s on my commuter and in three years on the same tires I have never had a flat. Now, this guarantees I'll have one next week.

GG

pdmtong
12-08-2012, 08:43 PM
open corsa not a good choice when roads are filthy.

I just started rolling with GP 4 season 700x25....two flats the first three rides. no incidents today. I wouldnt say they were flat prone like the open corsas...I would just say the roads were really bad with crap all over and fate was not kind

eBAUMANN
12-08-2012, 08:46 PM
4 seasons are pretty tough. i rode 28's for both battenkill and the NE rapha gentlemans race this year, zero issues, great tires, highly recommend.

wgp
12-08-2012, 08:58 PM
4 Seasons are on my "winter wheels" for commuting, when its potentially sub-freezing and dark (I commute in the dark both ways in winter months), and when one cannot afford to have flats.

NEVER had a flat on these tires, in 6+ years of commuting - as Guy Gadois said, now I have brought the wrath of the Gods down upon me!!

Lovetoclimb
12-08-2012, 09:02 PM
know lots of guys who put big miles on theirs in 23/25 and seldom flat. They wonder I keep riding the Paves when I could get 4seasons at the same price, but I just can't part ways with the green! But yes, good tires. The sidewalls will start to de-thread or whatever it is Conti tyres do before the tread shows any concerns.

Peter B
12-08-2012, 09:08 PM
What others have said; not the plushest but durable. I rode a pair of 28s for 2300 miles around the south isle of NZ loaded with rear bags over poorly paved and gravel roads and had zero flats. They're my go to tire for wet weather durability and a reasonable modicum of 'suppleness'.

AngryScientist
12-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys, looks like ill order a set.

Ralph
12-08-2012, 09:19 PM
They are great all around tires. But for the current use you are describing, I would go with something more durable. Like Gatorskins. I would rather put up with a rough riding tire that doesn't flat, than change a tube in the wet and cold and maybe dark. And BTW.....Gatorskins ride is very air pressure sensitive. They are tolerable (barely) when pressure is on the low side. And I've had them last about 5000 miles. There is a reason Pro's train on them in winter.

mistermo
12-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Ive ridden GP4s x 28 and like them fine. Have a buddy who ride them too. But, it should be noted that they measure 26 rather than 28, even on wider rims.

rwsaunders
12-08-2012, 09:55 PM
I've been running them year round for a few years with no issues. 25's fit on an F1 fork as well.

r_mutt
12-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Gatorskins are flintstone tires. No thanks for me. I preferred 4 Seasons, but they won't feel nice after what you've been riding.

54ny77
12-08-2012, 11:34 PM
angry--that's pretty much all i use year round other than when i'm abnormally fit and it's summertime, in which case i'll throw on 4000s on a set of go-fast wheels. 4-season's are great tires. i use 23's and 25's on various wheels/bikes.

that said, some don't like 'em, say they're heavy, ride hard, etc. eh, whatever. your mileage may vary as they say. i happen to like 'em, and i have a lot of 'em, so i use 'em. pressure at 95-100lbs and i'm happy.

12-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Your original post didn't quite ask for alternatives, just comments on GP4Seasons, but don't overlook Vittoria Paves. Everyone has their favorite tire, and yes, in the winter you don't want to be fixing flats. There's a point when the ride is secondary because one is so bundled up and stiff and uncomfortable anyway. I have both Paves and GP4Seasons on my winter bikes (24/25 mm in both) and frankly, I'd go with the Pave's.

Note that if you really want to improve all qualities of a winter training ride, my most recent discovery was to ditch the old narrow rims like Mavic OPs and go with something like the DT TK540 or H+Son Archetype. It completely changes the shape and thus the ride of a larger tire. Go down in pressure a bit, and the grip improvement is amazing, better than what you can possibly do with a 19-20 mm wide rim. The ride quality is also better, and you simply don't notice the road like you did with the same tire on a narrower rim. I am on Archetypes with Vittoria Paves, and the rim actually helps reduce flatting because it treats the tire better. And you certainly have a much less squirmy or slippery ride on slick roads. Do consider it a part of upgrading for the winter.

jblande
12-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Good experiences here too

54ny77
12-08-2012, 11:52 PM
that's actually a very good point.

i've used gp4s on my wide velocity rims (i forget the model, maybe a23?), on some super light swank dt rims, and mavic open pros. they ride nicest on the wide velocity rims. identical bike, different wheels, same tires.

Your original post didn't quite ask for alternatives, just comments on GP4Seasons, but don't overlook Vittoria Paves. Everyone has their favorite tire, and yes, in the winter you don't want to be fixing flats. There's a point when the ride is secondary because one is so bundled up and stiff and uncomfortable anyway. I have both Paves and GP4Seasons on my winter bikes (24/25 mm in both) and frankly, I'd go with the Pave's.

Note that if you really want to improve all qualities of a winter training ride, my most recent discovery was to ditch the old narrow rims like Mavic OPs and go with something like the DT TK540 or H+Son Archetype. It completely changes the shape and thus the ride of a larger tire. Go down in pressure a bit, and the grip improvement is amazing, better than what you can possibly do with a 19-20 mm wide rim. The ride quality is also better, and you simply don't notice the road like you did with the same tire on a narrower rim. I am on Archetypes with Vittoria Paves, and the rim actually helps reduce flatting because it treats the tire better. And you certainly have a much less squirmy or slippery ride on slick roads. Do consider it a part of upgrading for the winter.

verticaldoug
12-09-2012, 06:52 AM
There is a lot of 'Princess and the Pea' syndrome on this forum. I rather ride the toughest tire around than change a flat in freezing cold weather. I use Gatorskins in the winter. Compare to the 4000s I run in the summer, it doesn't feel all that different. Truth be told, it's cold and my motor doesn't run as fast in the winter anyway.

biker72
12-09-2012, 07:48 AM
I run the 28s on my commuter and in three years on the same tires I have never had a flat. Now, this guarantees I'll have one next week.

GG

I've been running 28s on my commuter for almost 2 years with no flats. I have 25s on my other bikes.

binxnyrwarrsoul
12-09-2012, 08:38 AM
I like these: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/24068-320_MAXRF2-3-Parts-400-Tires/Road/Maxxis-Re-Fuse-Tire-23c-offerIN212GLP.htm?utm_source=Googlebase&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_campaign=FTP&zmam=3075515&zmas=2&zmac=86&zmap=24068&gclid=CKGmvq-XjLQCFQqe4AodAlsA9g

I have a set (2) of these Maxxis Re-Fuse tires, all white, in 23's, NIB, if anyone is interested. I have a set I've run on my CX, 1K miles on crap roads with no punctures. My only issue is not really a fan of the white. PM if interested.

AngryScientist
12-09-2012, 08:46 AM

good points 11.4, thanks. I actually do have open pave's on my Legend, and like them a lot. i've used them too for years for "pave" typed rides when the road my not be all pavement. good tires, pricey, but good.

i've just gotten the wheel building bug too, maybe i'll consider building myself up a set of archytypes to some fixed hubs. not a bad idea. cheers.

FlashUNC
12-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I've had a set for about a year now in the 28mm variety. Wear like iron but ride pretty decently for the longevity of the tire.

Only caveat is mine seem to run narrow, like most Contis. Mine are closer to 26 when mounted on the rim.

GregL
12-09-2012, 08:59 AM
We use 25mm GP 4-seasons on the "go-fast" wheels for our tandem. No flats in 4+ years of fast rides and races. If they hold up on a tandem, they'll take anything a single bike can dish out.

- Greg

Cat3roadracer
12-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Highly recommend, a lot of rubber there.

bigbill
12-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I rode a pair down to the casing in 2008. I also rode a ten hour STP on them so I appreciate their decent rolling resistance. I never noticed that they were anything special in the PNW rain, no better than a Ultra Gatorskin imo. I had a winter commute in the PNW and used 25mm Ultra Gatorskins and found them to be flat resistant in the wet and the 25mm size gave a good ride.

The one thing I noticed about 4 Seasons is that you have to look at the sidewall to see that it's a 25mm instead of a 23mm. They look small.

zennmotion
12-09-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys, looks like ill order a set.

These are my everyday road tires for pavement, expensive but the right combination of durability, road feel and weight. My tires tend to last long enough that I'd rather not experiment any more- did that for years and these are what I stick with. FYI, 25c=23mm 28c=25.5mm by my calipers on Mavic OPs. So don't get 23c, they're too narrow and hard.

jds108
12-09-2012, 07:06 PM
These are my everyday road tires for pavement, expensive but the right combination of durability, road feel and weight. My tires tend to last long enough that I'd rather not experiment any more- did that for years and these are what I stick with. FYI, 25c=23mm 28c=25.5mm by my calipers on Mavic OPs. So don't get 23c, they're too narrow and hard.

My GP 4 seasons are less than a year old. Mounted on Campy scirocco rims, the 700x25 tire measures 25.5 wide and 25 high. The Scirocco rim is 21mm wide.

Ken Robb
12-09-2012, 07:15 PM
You might try Paselas with or without the Tour Guard belt. Their shape tends to be a bit taller than wide so consider that relative to where your bike has tight clearance. I thought Ultra Gatorskins were a pretty good compromise of flat protection vs. ride quality. OTOH I gave away the Specialized Armadillos after two bone-jarring rides.

I have since become more willing to experiment with lower pressures than I used to consider acceptable and there may have been some lower pressure where I would have considered the Armadillos OK too.

JLP
12-10-2012, 01:44 AM
Big fan of the 4 season.

They run small.

They grip well in the cold wet.

I think they ride just fine, but I ride 28s mostly.

roydyates
12-10-2012, 08:36 AM
There is a lot of 'Princess and the Pea' syndrome on this forum. I rather ride the toughest tire around than change a flat in freezing cold weather. I use Gatorskins in the winter. Compare to the 4000s I run in the summer, it doesn't feel all that different. Truth be told, it's cold and my motor doesn't run as fast in the winter anyway.

My personal experience is that GP4season has better flat protection than Gatorskin.

bluesea
12-10-2012, 08:54 AM
FWIW on a DT Swiss RR465 rims, the GP4 28mm and 4000S 25mm have the exact same height.

AngryScientist
12-10-2012, 08:56 AM
My personal experience is that GP4season has better flat protection than Gatorskin.

thanks for chiming in. i know you know the roads i ride on, and i know the riding you do, i value your opinion greatly.

Pars
12-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Apparently the older GP4seasons weren't as good as the newer ones with the vectran breaker technology. I think I had read somewhere that these are based on the GP3000 tire as well. Mine seem to feel better than the Ultra Gatorskins I have (both in 700 x 28). The Gators measure 28mm on an Ambrosio Elite rim, whereas the GP4seasons measure 26mm on the same rim. I would like to try these on a wider rim as well.

So far, no flats in ~ 1000 miles.

metalheart
12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I just mounted a pair of 25mm 4 Seasons on Dt Swiss 415 rims .... measured them and they are 25.08 mm. Bought them from Tire Maniacs for a reasonable price along with some Challenge latex tubes that I also installed with the 4 Seasons...

54ny77
12-10-2012, 10:26 AM
after re-reading this thread i went to peek in my tire stash and it's both 4-seasons and ultra gatorskin. without splitting hairs, aren't they somewhat similar, generally speaking? meaning both are higher-wear, more puncture-resistant than the usual high performance tire?

Ken Robb
12-10-2012, 11:27 AM
after re-reading this thread i went to peek in my tire stash and it's both 4-seasons and ultra gatorskin. without splitting hairs, aren't they somewhat similar, generally speaking? meaning both are higher-wear, more puncture-resistant than the usual high performance tire?

I think: Ultragatorskins are designed specifically to have improved puncture resistance without using a rubber compound blended for improved traction on cold pavement.

The 4-seasons are designed to provide better traction on cold/wet pavement than most "regular" warm-weather tires. Any extra flat resistance is coincidental but probably real. They may have thicker rubber in the tread.

bambam
12-10-2012, 12:45 PM
I've been using them for years. I went from gp3000/ tried one 4000 and cut the sidewall on the 2nd ride. I went with the GP4 seasons because they had the same tread as the 3000 and have use them ever since.

Seem to be high mileage and on have actually worn them to the cords before getting a flat.

I use to run the 23 but now usually run the 25's because I have more room and like the way they look on the rim.

(ps. Road them 765 miles in 4 days 50-65 degrees. 80-100 miles were dry and the rest were wet and or rain and I did not get a flat)

BamBam

earlfoss
12-10-2012, 09:10 PM
These aren't quite as sexy but I got 4 years out of one on my training wheelset before they went threadbare. I am not joking. They don't ride super but for an ultra dependable tire the Bontrager Hard-Case can't be beat.

http://bontrager.com/model/00443

HenryA
12-11-2012, 12:10 AM
This usually cues the crickets chirping --- but I really like Panaracer tires the Race D has a puncture resistant casing and gives a super good ride. They are very high quality tires, long lasting and they're fairly inexpensive.

fiamme red
12-11-2012, 12:20 AM
This usually cues the crickets chirping --- but I really like Panaracer tires the Race D has a puncture resistant casing and gives a super good ride. They are very high quality tires, long lasting and they're fairly inexpensive.I appreciate the recommendation. I think I'll try a pair in 700x25.

fiamme red
12-11-2012, 12:22 AM
I have a set (2) of these Maxxis Re-Fuse tires, all white, in 23's, NIB, if anyone is interested. I have a set I've run on my CX, 1K miles on crap roads with no punctures. My only issue is not really a fan of the white. PM if interested.Thanks for the offer. The white color doesn't really bother me, but I'm trying to ride tires no narrower than 25mm.

JLP
12-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Those Bontrager Hard Case tires have amazing durability, and they actually ride OK. They are, however, slick as heck in cold wet rain, so be careful.

I have a set of those in 32 that I just can't wear out.

Oh, and I agree with the above comment that the 4seasons are much grippier in the rain than the gatorskins (which are much much grippier than the hard case)

oldpotatoe
12-11-2012, 09:04 AM

Essentially, the Gatorskin and GP4Season casing is the same with GP4000s rubber on the GP and UltraRace, now called GP, rubber on the Gatorskin.

I sell a lot of Gatprskin wires, 25 or 28..on a high mileage, durable winter tire, I see no need for folding unless ya want to carry a spare tire.

AngryScientist
12-11-2012, 09:13 AM
well, i placed an order for the 4-seasons, so i'll see how they go. it sounds like people like them for the most part, and i'm sure, no matter what that they will be more flat resistant than the open corsas that are on there now.

for the most part, it's been fairly mild here in NJ this winter so far. mild but wet. fenders are on the way too!

atanz
12-11-2012, 10:01 AM
well since you already ordered...

just another +1 for 4 Seasons. I rode a set of 23's from NYC to Cleveland over a 7 day period a couple years ago. not a single flat and I had about 30lbs of gear on my bike!

Pete Mckeon
12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
:):beer: Pete

well since you already ordered...

just another +1 for 4 Seasons. I rode a set of 23's from NYC to Cleveland over a 7 day period a couple years ago. not a single flat and I had about 30lbs of gear on my bike!

COYO1
12-11-2012, 08:29 PM
+ 1 on happy customer for 23c GP 4 Season:) I would have gotten 25c however I wanted the option to use fenders as well. Still, no disappointments. Good traction, no flats.

roydyates
12-11-2012, 08:55 PM
well, i placed an order for the 4-seasons, so i'll see how they go. it sounds like people like them for the most part, and i'm sure, no matter what that they will be more flat resistant than the open corsas that are on there now.

for the most part, it's been fairly mild here in NJ this winter so far. mild but wet. fenders are on the way too!

Did you find a better deal than $49 and change with free shipping at amazon prime?

AngryScientist
12-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Did you find a better deal than $49 and change with free shipping at amazon prime?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showPart.asp?part=CONTTYRF400&bike=

85 bucks shipped for 2

Pars
12-11-2012, 10:10 PM
wiggle has them for $99 shipped with a pair of conti tubes also.

roydyates
12-11-2012, 10:44 PM
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/showPart.asp?part=CONTTYRF400&bike=

85 bucks shipped for 2

sweet.

Has anyone ever seen them for under 40 each?

nopotholes
12-12-2012, 03:23 AM
Recently made the upgrade from Gatorskins to GP4s (23s) and am content with the ride quality but they have already received a gnarly gash (though it probably could not have been avoided) and I would like to say as I was taking off my bald Gatorskins how much glass was wedged into them. Gators may not be the nicest ride but they sure are a glutton for punishment. Anywho, building up a new wheelset laced to DT TK540 then making the move to 25s most likely GP4s, should be nice!

54ny77
12-12-2012, 08:15 AM
yes but it's once in a blue moon. check ebay now & then and the usual overseas locations. a few years ago i picked up a lot of 'em for under 30.

sweet.

Has anyone ever seen them for under 40 each?

tv_vt
12-12-2012, 08:38 AM
I will put in a plug to buy them at your LBS if they have them in stock. Let's keep the local folks in business. Yes, you'll pay more. Consider the extra cost a donation to a favorite charity.

Seriously. Do we have to nickel and dime everything?

oldpotatoe
12-12-2012, 08:47 AM
I will put in a plug to buy them at your LBS if they have them in stock. Let's keep the local folks in business. Yes, you'll pay more. Consider the extra cost a donation to a favorite charity.

Seriously. Do we have to nickel and dime everything?

Hear, hear and sometimes it seems that way......