PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Iceland bike?

moose8
12-08-2012, 09:57 AM
So one of my best friends lives in Iceland and has assigned me to find him the ideal bike for him. He's probably 6'4" and is very lean and lanky. I already bought him a very nice Davidson road bike which had literally sat unused since its purchase in 1997 (the tall guy who originally ordered it got sick after placing the order and then kept it in his living room with the receipt and all accessories - it was the rare find where it really was mint). Plan is to put some schwalbe marathon tires on it because Icelandic roads are volcanic material that can be brutally sharp and I imagine would destroy tires. But he also wants to get a more all rounder/mountain bike type ride for getting groceries and exploring back roads and trails and the like.

At first I was thinking necromancer pugsley, then I though moonlander because Iceland really looks like the face of the moon. Then I thought maybe a regular pugsley, or maybe better a salsa mukluk because aluminum might handle the environment better than steel. I normally am not concerned with any environmental factors for myself in choosing steel versus aluminum but I am wondering if the incredible raw Icelandic environment might tip the scale towards aluminum. It rains a lot there so he wants fenders too, which I know can be tough on fatbikes but seem possible.

He wouldn't be averse to a regular 29er either, but it seems like the kooky terrain over there might be perfect for a fatbike. I'm very curious for anyone's thoughts on this as whatever he ends up with he will keep for a long time as the cost of shipping alone makes it cost prohibitive to buy and sell bikes until he finds one he loves. He's got a couple of months before he sends a shipping container with all his possessions so I just need to complete my "mission" before then and get the bike in the shipping container. And if anyone out there has a giant sized used bike that sounds like it might fit the bill definitely drop me a line.

ElvisMerckx
12-08-2012, 10:31 AM
There's not a whole lot of pavement in Iceland outside of Reykyevik. And the unpaved roads over there are extremely punishing.

I'd probably go with a monster-cross or a loaded tourer setup with 45c tires, or something like a ti Fargo that I could load up with racks.

Mr Cabletwitch
12-08-2012, 10:34 AM
There's not a whole lot of pavement in Iceland outside of Reykyevik. And the unpaved roads over there are extremely punishing.

I'd probably go with a monster-cross or a loaded tourer setup with 45c tires, or something like a ti Fargo that I could load up with racks.

This is what I was thinking.

ElvisMerckx
12-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Also, steel would be fine in that environment. Just hit it with frames saver and you're good to go.

Unless your friend just wants to putt around the capital, he'll want a do it all bike. And the more I think about it, the Fargo is probably the most versatile bike out there that could match almost any terrain one could find in Iceland.

What's your friend's budget?

Climb01742
12-08-2012, 10:48 AM
iceland is also insanely windy. walk down any street in reykyevik and even in the pouring rain, you will see virtually zero umbrellas because the wind makes umbrellas unusable. so i would also keep gearing and weight in mind, as your friend will be facing serious headwinds many miles as he rides.

moose8
12-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Probably around $2000 but don't tell his wife. And he is a real outdoorsman (certified Maine guide) used to make maple syrup for a living in vt, etc. so he is one for getting out into the environment as much as he can.

gdw
12-08-2012, 10:51 AM
If it fits within his budget a fat bike with an extra set of 29er wheels would be ideal for Iceland. He could use the 29er wheelset for road riding and the fat wheelset for exploring offroad.

rwsaunders
12-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I'd reach out to Spiderman, as he rides in an area of Iowa which is as close to conditions in Iceland, as I can imagine.

jpw
12-08-2012, 01:31 PM
http://moots.com/our-bike/mtb-26/frosti/overview/

cachagua
12-08-2012, 02:43 PM
That Moots looks nice. I oughtta try a bike like that some day.

A distantly related question: I've been out in snow a fair amount on a conventional mountain bike, and always enjoyed it, but I'm forced to stop when the cassette gets packed with snow and the chain won't mesh with it any more. Is it just because I'm in Pacific Northwest snow, that's got the consistency of wet cement? Would an internal-gear hub work any better?

No, why be dumb. The solution to the problem is to move to Iceland! It's fierce there, but it's beautiful.

d_douglas
12-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I have. I would love to ride there - it sounds nice and rugged. Ive spen many holidays in Scandi, but sadly, never to Iceland. I took a trip in N Scotland last year that would match it for weather, but I think the roads are nicer where I was.

I vote a Monstercross and Fargo seems a perfect option. Salsa makes smart bikes!

christian
12-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I circumnavigated Iceland in a couple weeks one summer in the late nineties on a rigid 26" mtb. A mtb with multiple bar positions, fenders, and a rack is a good bike for Iceland. Given the grit, an IGH would be beneficial but not required, and not going to happen on that budget.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a BG Rock-n-Road-x 26er. Nah, who am I kidding, I'd use that old Scott Comp with Deore DX for old times' sake.

I have no idea why anyone would suggest a fatbike.

sg8357
12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
You want the bike to be able to handle fording streams, Icelanders think
bridges rot moral fibre or something. Orltieb panniers for flotation and
easy drain and regreasable bearings. Shimano hubs would be a good idea.
WTB grease guard stuff.

gdw
12-08-2012, 04:26 PM
"I have no idea why anyone would suggest a fatbike. "

If you are into backcountry adventure Iceland is ideal for fatbikes:
http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/iceland-trip-report-730035.html
You can run a 29er wheelset on fatbikes with 135mm rear spacing and disc brakes for commuting/road touring.

Frankwurst
12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Rawland rSogn.:beer

jdp211
12-08-2012, 05:35 PM
What about a Krampus?

christian
12-08-2012, 05:55 PM
If you are into backcountry adventure Iceland is ideal for fatbikes
He said he wanted a bike for "getting groceries and exploring some trails.". FWIW, I cycled the Icelandic highlands on a 26x2.1 tire and never wished for more. Fat tire is a solution looking for a problem here unless he's planning winter trips. And even then, a fatbike is much more useful in AK, MN, northern inland Scandinavia (eg Hemavan) than in Iceland.

GuyGadois
12-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Salsa Fargo. Awesome adventure bike but can also take skinny-ish tires

http://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/

moose8
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM
The Fargo has been a good suggestion - I hadn't thought of that one. I bet he ends up with it, though I think the fatbikes do sound like fun. He also wants to be able to throw a kid seat on the bike too, which it looks like the Fargo could be good for. By the way, Iceland is awesome for anyone considering going, though like others have noted the wind can be insanely brutal for biking any distance.

Ewarrior
12-09-2012, 07:37 AM
Your search is indeed pretty fun, it would be cool to send a bike to Iceland, instead of writing good luck in your search; have fun on your search.

Warren.

Ewarrior
12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
What about this, it has an internal hub and under 2000, not mine.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/3452420312.html

Warren

moose8
12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
What about this, it has an internal hub and under 2000, not mine.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/3452420312.html

Warren

That bike is seriously awesome, and seems to be a great deal, but I think it's a little small for him at 6"3 or 6"4. Right now he seems to be leaning towards the Surly Ogre because he wants to be able to easily hook a trailer up and in the future might want an IGH. Though the Fargo is still in the running.