PDA

View Full Version : Velomax

bob the nailer
10-23-2005, 07:54 PM
anyone have any experience with easton/velomax wheels, specifically interested in the Ascent II but any info helpful. If you had a chance to get a set of them, or a new but 2005 set of Campy Eurus, for approx the same price, which would you choose. Although i am not large, 5'7" and 150, the Ascent if 1450 gm, and I worry a little about the durability for every day riding. Thanks in advance. :cool:

Fixed
10-23-2005, 07:59 PM
bro I'd do the campy I like their bearings .cheers :beer:

Lifelover
10-23-2005, 08:14 PM
anyone have any experience with easton/velomax wheels, specifically interested in the Ascent II but any info helpful. If you had a chance to get a set of them, or a new but 2005 set of Campy Eurus, for approx the same price, which would you choose. Although i am not large, 5'7" and 150, the Ascent if 1450 gm, and I worry a little about the durability for every day riding. Thanks in advance. :cool:

I ride circuits. I'm 250 lbs, got them used and have but over a 1000 miles on them so far. I had to have the back rim trued once after I took a minor spill. Otherwise, I'm very happy.

I friend rides the Orions and he is 220 lbs. They are just a little heavier than the Ascents ( I think) but are stronger.

There has been some negative reviews about their service but that was pre easton.

Good luck

loctite
10-23-2005, 09:06 PM

descent wheels, havent seen any problems so far! good luck

deechee
10-23-2005, 10:04 PM
Had the circuits for about 7,000km. Super smooth, silent rear hub. I'm also 5'7, 145, and have had zero problems and they stay true on the crappy *** Montreal roads. (Past tense only because they got trashed in a crash but I love them enough to get them repaired/replaced)

DRZRM
10-23-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm 6'3" 220, and I only put a few hundred miles on mile before I busted up the rear rim in a nasty...something, I'm still not sure what I hit. :crap:

Anyway, I don't blame the wheel, I doubt if any rim would have ridden away from that hit. Easton is rebuilding it now, they seem to be on schedule with a 3-4 week turnaround. I love how they ride, and Easton seems cool as a company. I'll let you know how they feel when it comes back. Until then, I'm putting in a lot of fixed gear miles.

Z

RichMc
10-24-2005, 12:12 PM
The Circuits are completely different wheels than the Ascents. That said the Ascents are good but some have reported issues with cracks around the the spoke nipple holes and a friend of mine had an odd crack (more like a distortion) show up in the braking surface. I run the Eurus on both of my bikes and 4,000 miles later have not had any problems with either. I'm a 175 lb. rider.

kidamaro
10-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I started with the Ascent wheels and broke a spoke within a couple of weeks. Returned them for the Orion II's and have about 9000 miles on them. Still true as the day I got them. Not sure I would go with production wheels the next time around, but I do like the wheels. I weigh about 160, and have no complaints.

Larry D
10-24-2005, 03:11 PM
I have Orion IIs with ~3000 miles and they have been great, except for a broken spoke on the rear wheel. The spokes can be replaced without sending them back to Easton, if you have a replacement spoke. It was a lot easier to send the wheel in and have them replace the spoke and retrue the wheel.

I am 6' 195lbs.