PDA

View Full Version : year end recall

weisan
12-08-2012, 09:45 AM
As the year 2012 is fast winding down, what stood out for you in terms of cycling?

For me, i can think of several things, among which, I thought the Vuelta was AWESOME!!!
Check out this close battle between Contador, Valverde and Rodriguez with multiple attacks:
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=tJI8lJ-XRQA

1centaur
12-08-2012, 11:44 AM
The Vuelta sticks out as very interesting on several levels, so all the more annoying I could not see it on TV. Contador's attack to win the race is SO rare these days.

Sky's domination of the Tour with Froome waiting for Wiggins was notable for how quickly Sky came together, even if not in year 1, to deliver British cycling to the top of the sport.

Sagan winning stage after stage and everybody predicting it.

Gilbert mostly disappearing after a career year.

Boonen coming WAY back from almost written off to arguably (I'm not saying so) the greatest classics rider ever. Redemption is a powerful story.

Vino winning the gold just as a perfect punctuation to this stage of the doping era and the denouement of British best laid plans.

thwart
12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Gilbert mostly disappearing after a career year.Well, except for those stripes he's wearing... if you have to pick a way to salvage a year, that's the one I'd go with.

soulspinner
12-08-2012, 01:49 PM
well, except for those stripes he's wearing... If you have to pick a way to salvage a year, that's the one i'd go with.

+1

rain dogs
12-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Yeah... the Vuelta was spectacular. The Giro great too. J-Rodriguez makes for some interesting racing because he's got so many skills, is so explosive, but has a lot of weaknesses too. I enjoy watching him ride, and he makes races exciting and unpredictable.

cnighbor1
12-08-2012, 09:36 PM
What sticks out for me in terms of cycling is that I am still climbing Mt. Diablo which is just under 4000 ft. and at age 76. and with a prostrate giving problems ( now fixed with out patient surgery)
and I lived and rode in flat Detroit for many years
Charles

fuzzalow
12-08-2012, 09:58 PM
What seemed most obvious to me, and perhaps not in a good way, was the Sky Team performance in this years Tour.

All through the mountain stages, Sky always with 3 or more riders enscounced at the front, controling the pace and the race. Never any doubt or waver. Poor Cuddles, outclassed like mere aquapane.

Much too reminiscent of the Postal era.

weisan
12-08-2012, 11:24 PM
One of the highlights

http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=A+4-year-old's+first+ramp+descent:+'I+did+it+Dad!'&dashboard=&id=0qmQrEM5rVA&series=This+kid+LOVES+to+bike+0qmQrEM5rVA,This+kid +HATES+to+bike+ziCnycJYgSg&yr=2012

m_sasso
12-09-2012, 10:26 AM
What sticks out for me?
Vancouver, BC Canada to Boyne City, Michigan, 3000+ miles in 31 self supported cycling days.
A life long dream cycling adventure finally done, only took me 58 years to put my mind and body to doing it.