PDA

View Full Version : Velo-Orange Grand Cru sidepull vs Paul Racer Medium

MorganColeman
12-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm putting together the final pieces on a new build and debating which brakes to buy. It's a road frame with lots of clearance--so both the Grand Cru long reach brakes from Velo-Orange and the Paul Racer mediums will fit the bill in terms of clearance (47 - 57mm). I've used Paul's canti brakes, as well as the mini moto V brakes, and liked them both ok in terms of stopping power, although I always had difficulty getting rid of the squeal no matter how I adjusted the pads. I've also used Shimano's long reach sidepulls with no complaints, never any squeal. I've never used centerpulls.

Can anyone here give their experience with either brakeset? Are Paul centerpulls powerful?

Just thought I'd get some advice.

Thanks!

Morgan

rugbysecondrow
12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Hey Everyone,

I'm putting together the final pieces on a new build and debating which brakes to buy. It's a road frame with lots of clearance--so both the Grand Cru long reach brakes from Velo-Orange and the Paul Racer mediums will fit the bill in terms of clearance (47 - 57mm). I've used Paul's canti brakes, as well as the mini moto V brakes, and liked them both ok in terms of stopping power, although I always had difficulty getting rid of the squeal no matter how I adjusted the pads. I've also used Shimano's long reach sidepulls with no complaints, never any squeal. I've never used centerpulls.

Can anyone here give their experience with either brakeset? Are Paul centerpulls powerful?

Thanks!

Morgan

I like the Grand Cru (seen below on my Sport Tourer). Great stopping, easy to setup, look nice and cheaper than Pauls.

fogrider
12-08-2012, 01:00 AM
there are many that have switched from canti brakes because of the front brake shimmy (including myself). There are some that will say "if you set them up right, they are great!" the problem is that is that they ride great for a what seems like only a few weeks. there has been much discussed about the front fork flex combined with the cable stretch causing the shimmy. mini Vs have the cable enclosed and run right to the brake so there is the cable doesn't stretch. not as much clearance as cantis but more than sidepulls.

sean
12-08-2012, 03:03 AM
RE: Squeal. Get yourself one of these, you'll love it.

http://pbkmedia.probikekit.com/catalog/product/cache/18/image/420x460/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/0/100309.jpg

christian
12-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Stick with Shimano sidepulls. Brake arms should be forged, not machined from billet.

dmurphey
12-08-2012, 07:41 AM
I have aboutv13,000 miles on my Paul Racer Mediums. Paul says mine were the first set shipped out as production pieces. I run Koolstop pads. These have done lots of road and gravel miles. They work great. They are solidly mounted on studs. they are beautiful.

You may pay less for VO side pulls. They may be fine.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

Morgan

Have the cable stops for the center pulls?

PaMtbRider
12-08-2012, 09:05 AM
I have Shimano and Tektro sidepull, and Paul Racer M brakes. The Pauls have offered me the best performance so far. They have better power and modulation than the sidepulls.

etu
12-08-2012, 09:52 AM
i had the paul brakes. sturdy and good stopping power, but had occasional minor fork shudder. aesthetically also did not fit the bike. changed out to velo-orange. they look good and work fine.

54ny77
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
VO Grand Cru long reach sidepulls are beautiful and work better than you'll ever need them to. Just swap the pads for Kool Stop (black or salmon) or Shimano (DA or Ultegra), because the OEM pads that come with them are crap.

Clean 'em and polish 'em once in a blue moon with some simichrome (or other soft paste alu. polish) and an old t-shirt, and they'll be good as new.