PDA

View Full Version : Tools Question: BB30 Bearing Install

FastforaSlowGuy
12-07-2012, 12:20 PM
In an effort to not spend $60-120 on a bearing press, or lose my bike to the LBS for a day, I'm thinking of doing my own BB30 bearing installation using a 5/8" threaded rod and some nuts. Just like this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Overhaul-a-BB30-Bottom-bracket-2012.html

Anyone try this? What's the risk I will get them installed crooked or make some other grievous mistake? I haven't done this before, but it seems like a skill worth acquiring.

ultraman6970
12-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Great link!

shovelhd
12-07-2012, 12:31 PM
The threaded rod bearing press should be OK, but if I were doing it I would use the proper BB30 mandrels.

nbrewste
12-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I've used this method with great success.

I find it easier (and less liable to come out crooked) if the bearings are pressed one at a time -- it allows the washer to press against the well-machined, vertical face of the BB shell, aligning the threaded rod and bearing.

I've also found it better to align the bearing initially by hand, press it in slightly (so it just sticks) and triple-check that it's straight, before putting the rod and washers through...

It's not as fool-proof as using the proper tool, but will work if done carefully.

jwad
12-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Anyone try this? What's the risk I will get them installed crooked or make some other grievous mistake? I haven't done this before, but it seems like a skill worth acquiring.

I've done it with a headset.
Go slow, make sure its aligned,
if your unsure, take it to a shop.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks folks. I'm going for it.

svelocity
12-07-2012, 12:43 PM
In an effort to not spend $60-120 on a bearing press, or lose my bike to the LBS for a day, I'm thinking of doing my own BB30 bearing installation using a 5/8" threaded rod and some nuts. Just like this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Overhaul-a-BB30-Bottom-bracket-2012.html

I've used the that method with a head set and it worked fine. The DIY press not much different than the Park Tool HHP-3 any how (see below). However, my father in law came over and used the big boy HHP-2 press and it works much much better.

odin99
12-07-2012, 02:45 PM
i've done it. but i wasn't able to get the bearings seated all the way in. they were flush, but needed to be pushed in about one more millimeter (that space was then taken up by a spacer)... ended up having to take it to the LBS anyway. if i did it over again, i'd probably do it the same way. i like wrenching my own stuff.

shovelhd
12-07-2012, 02:48 PM
That's exactly why you need the mandrels.

FastforaSlowGuy
12-07-2012, 02:53 PM
I have the bearing removal tool from Park, which I believe comes with the installation mandrels to ensure the bearings seat properly. So based on the PB tutorial, the only thing I'm missing is the 5/8" bar, nuts and washers. I'll report back when I'm done and let folks know if I mangled the job.

cekte
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
I've been thinking of doing this exact same thing actually. I also have the Park Tool BBT30.3 which comes with the BB30 Installation mandrels. Looking forward to the update. Thanks!

FastforaSlowGuy
12-10-2012, 08:13 AM
For a whopping $7 at Ace Hardware, I put together the bearing press recommended by PB. Once you slide on the mandrels that come with the BB30 removal tool, it works beautifully. I pressed the bearings in one at a time (non-drive then drive side), and it all went very smoothly. I think seating them by hand to get them started straight was very helpful, and I stopped the press after a single turn of the wrench to make sure everything was still aligned properly (it was) before closing the deal. The whole thing took a few minutes, and I felt no need for a more sophisticated tool.

All in, I swapped out my crunchy, old, steel Sram bearings for Enduro ceramics for $137 parts and labor ($100 for the BB30 kit from Enduro, $30 for the bearing removal tool, $7 for the "press"), and I only lost the use of my bike for about 45 minutes.

oldpotatoe
12-10-2012, 08:30 AM

I use a Park press but like frames with a REALLY tall headtube, I use a threaded rod, washers and 2 big honking nuts..Same for the BB30. Make sure you install the clips, grease around those also. Why BB30 is called BBCreaky

LOTSA grease in the shell, pry the seals off and grease inside the bearings, seal back on...yes even in ceramics cuz they are steel with ceramic balls. get some crud in there and they will go away quickly. Grease is a wonderful seal.