PDA

View Full Version : OT: Pappy Van Winkle...impossible find?

Dave B
12-07-2012, 09:07 AM
I have called three different states trying to find even the cheaper bottle of this stuff. I think it is ther 10 year. Does anyone know how you go about finding one? Do you or have you had to order it and then once a year it actually comes in?

I saw a few on ebay, but cannot afford the mark up.

Any suggestions/help would be incredibly helpful.

cheers

CDollarsign
12-07-2012, 09:30 AM
It comes out once in the fall and spring. A lot of reputable liquor stores will have e-mailing list, so at least you get a heads up on when it comes in. It goes fast though, and some may say it's overrated...

srice
12-07-2012, 09:37 AM
All of the Van Winkle products have become almost impossible to find. I picked up 3 bottles (20, 12 and 13 rye) last month. I have 2 ways that I do it. The first and most reliable way is to develop a GOOD relationship with the owner of your LLS. This stuff never hits the shelf and is sold to GOOD customers from the office. Find the VanWinkle guys on Facebook and sign up for their updates. They indicate when shipments go out to the various states. Let your local guy know that you are interested before it ships and then call as soon as it ships to the distributor. If you are lucky and your LLS likes you, you'll score some.

My other method is to go to a secret store that only I and a friend know about and happen to be there on the correct day. We say plenty of 12 on the shelf last year and were there this year as 23, 20, and 12 were going on the shelf. Needless to say, it is all gone by now.

SamIAm
12-07-2012, 09:38 AM
I have called three different states trying to find even the cheaper bottle of this stuff. I think it is ther 10 year. Does anyone know how you go about finding one? Do you or have you had to order it and then once a year it actually comes in?

I saw a few on ebay, but cannot afford the mark up.

Any suggestions/help would be incredibly helpful.

cheers

My wife, who is incredibly good at tracking down impossible stuff for me, has struck out with regard to Pappy. I was looking for the 15 and 20, not the 23 though.

I'm sure its overrated, but I wanted a bottle anyway.

Dave B
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
I got my father-in-law for our secret Santa, which isn't a secret. He is the best dad ever. I wanted to get him something and he has mentioned this stuff to me. He makes his own beer, wine, mead, saki, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to do something awesome for him this year. He said Buffalo Trace is as good, but I do not know much about this stuff. I drink Jack, every once in awhile I drink the single barrel Jack.

I appreciate the heads up guys. I saw a bottle of 23, 20, 15 and 12 on ebay for all 4 and they wanted $1500. I was looking for soemthign in the $100 and down, but understand there are probably better bottles.

Any good suggestions along the $100-ish level? Obviously I get the if it is older/aged then it can often times be better.

danielpack22@ma
12-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Local shop said their shipment sold out in 15 minutes. :eek:
Good Luck!

craptacular
12-07-2012, 10:23 AM
New England Wine and Spirits in Newburyport. Try them.

lhuerta
12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Hipsters in NYC have depleted my stock of Pappys...

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2012/11/bourbon-everyone-wants-no-one-can-get/59408/

jwad
12-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I wanted to get him something and he has mentioned this stuff to me. He makes his own beer, wine, mead, saki, etc.

He said Buffalo Trace is as good, but I do not know much about this stuff. I

Any good suggestions along the $100-ish level? Obviously I get the if it is older/aged then it can often times be better.

I always figure you cant go wrong with a Bourbon that has a "B" in it.
Blanton's
Basel Haydens
Bookers
Bakers

Also, If he homebrews and makes wine and mead, there are a few "age your own" whiskey kits you can buy.
http://www.woodinvillewhiskeyco.com/products/age-your-own-whiskey-kit/

As a homebrewer, I know i would appreciate something like that, and would reuse that barrel many times.

Dave B
12-07-2012, 11:36 AM
New England Wine and Spirits in Newburyport. Try them.

You cannot get or ship booze in Indiana...I think. Most places will not allow me to order it to my door.

Thanks though

jghall
12-07-2012, 12:52 PM
High-end bourbons like Pappy, G.T. Stagg, and some of the others, have gotten way out of hand as far as price.

Friend of mine has supposedly been offered $150 for his bottle of Stagg. And that may still be on the low side. Heard some local bars are getting $30-$40 a shot.

Dave - check out the bourbon thread, there are lots of nice tasting recommendations in there.

yngpunk
12-07-2012, 01:00 PM
It goes fast though, and some may say it's overrated...

My theory is that the more scarce the resource, the better tasting it is in peoples minds.

VPI
12-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I would recommend you find some Jefferson's Presidential Select as it starts from Pappy 16 and then is aged a bit longer before bottling. Very similar to the 20, which I actually prefer to the 23, but much easier to find.

pdmtong
12-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I would recommend you find some Jefferson's Presidential Select as it starts from Pappy 16 and then is aged a bit longer before bottling. Very similar to the 20, which I actually prefer to the 23, but much easier to find.

well said. this is the best alternative
the PVW situationwill only worsen as the oringinal s-w juice runs out. I htin even the `15 is mostly BT stocks now. so if you want the real deal, you need to go older and pay.

if he is not a bourbon fan, all the effort and hoopla may be lost on him. after all, this was noit an issue just a few years ago.

Lovetoclimb
12-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the tip, just found a bottle of the 18yr for $75 as a 2 year anniversary present/celebration for my girlfriend and me. Never had Pappy, but I would be willing to bet much of the new hipster rage surrounding it is due to a certain hipster blog:

http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2012/04/van-winkle-and-the-rapha-grand-tour-shoes/

Dave B
12-07-2012, 02:13 PM

Thanks loads!

rwsaunders
12-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Great article about the product.

http://gardenandgun.com/article/julian-p-van-winkle

jmoore
12-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Anyway, I wanted to do something awesome for him this year. He said Buffalo Trace is as good, but I do not know much about this stuff. I drink Jack, every once in awhile I drink the single barrel Jack.

Find some Michter's. He'll love it.

Jack Daniels is the Trek of American whiskey.

indyrider
12-08-2012, 08:07 AM
I used to have a pretty extensive collection of high end bourbons but have been steadily decreasing my stash...If any of you are interested in what I have left, shoot me a pm...BTAC, FR, Jeffs Private, etc...:banana: