PDA

View Full Version : Sunday rider / race report...report.

shinomaster
10-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I chose to wake up again this Sunday to attempt cyclocross racing. The race was held in a really bumpy, wooded Boy Scout camp a few miles out side of Portland. I can not get over how sadistic the Cross Crusade orgnanizers are. Every dismount was held on a muddy off camber corner so there were lots of wipe outs. The wood bridge must have wrecked a few people too...Once my race got started I seemed to find my way in the middle of the pack again, time trialing to finish just counting down the minutes in agony as I bounced around this bumpy course. I should have used my mountain bike..and many people did.
The worst part was when I crashed on a root in the slippery wooded section and landed on my knee. It was a very painful fall, and I thought I might not be able to continue, but then the adrenaline kicked in and I felt great!...untill our buddy Coylifut heckled me as I rode up the muddy hill...HA ha.. At this point I felt like quitting cyclocross all together and having a beer (not because of Coylifut, I was just tore up). But I continued and Actually got a second wind and raced to the finish and probably got 25th or something unremarkable---still pack fodder. The guys who won must be serious sandbaggers cause they was fast.
It really is amazing how long 40 minutes can be. If you want to find out, try a cross race...
Now that it's been a few hours it seems like it was terribly fun and I can't wait to do it again next week....Halloween!!!

Bruce K
10-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Rainy, chilly, 2 hour cross ride with a freind today.\

I have to come to the realization that all that flat, fast, fun riding in Florida has left me a total toad when it comes to steep hills, run-ups, etc. for cross.

I plan to keep doing our group's Sunday cross rides when there are no races, but I think racing will be left for next season.

Gloucester is next weekend. The two courses they are planning sound awesome. Long term weather forecast is for mid 50's with sun Saturday and a good chance of rain on Sunday.

BK

coylifut
10-23-2005, 04:12 PM
untill our buddy Coylifut heckled me as I rode up the muddy hill...HA ha.. !!!

you got a second wind because your body knew I was cheering you on. your brain was just looking for some one to hate. It was a lot less bumpy at high speed. BTW. there were guys who rode the stairs.

shinomaster
10-23-2005, 04:41 PM
What??? Rode up those Stairs???? Wow.
How did you do man? After my race I had that really cute massage student work me over for free...what a treat. I messed up my back wheel...
Do you know who won the A race?

coylifut
10-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I think I got seventh. I didn't notice the line, but the bottom three steps were off set from the top two. In the single speed race, two guys riding together went far left around the 3 bottom stairs and up the two top ones.

I didn't stick around for the A race. certainly enough roots and gaps to toink a wheel. I liked the course, especially the gravel climb.

Too Tall
10-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Good job ShinnyJuan :) Mud n' blood, weak mind and a strong heart....that's our boy. Way to go.

Sat. - The East Coast Coach's Conference took a break after chow and hit the hills of Bedford, Va. for a stretch. Holy Crow, what fun. Jeremy Bishop is such a stud and took the front everytime we hit headwinds and he makes everything look easy. I rode handlebar to handlebar with Joe Friel for a number of miles and finally had to get a laugh out of him by saying "man, you don't say much do you?" That got him grinning ;) He reminds me of the Marlboro man. Anywho the group had some really strong riders...no they were all strong. funny thing, you take 40 coaches, put them on the road and guess what? They are strong as heck, play well together and live to tell about it ;) The inevitable happens ,however, when about 8 miles from the end Hunter pointed up the road and says "ok boys, there is only one turn...have at it!". All heck broke loose, it was great fun and we blasted up a few short climbs before the ranks thinned and only a few were going for the town line sprint at the top of the last climb. DOH!

After the ride, Friel wagged his finger at everyone 'cause it's OCTOBER and we should know better...."awww dad, geeze but it's FUN" :cool:

Man I LOVE riding bikes.

shinomaster
10-24-2005, 12:17 PM
I got 25th....I am so sore today...ADVIL...take me away.. :beer:

bcm119
10-25-2005, 01:17 AM
Speaking of sandbaggers, this is a funny thread (http://www.crosscrusade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=430&PN=1) . My friend took the bronze.

shinomaster
10-25-2005, 02:02 AM
I saw that too BCM. Those guys were pretty fast-maybe half a lap ahead of me.