PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Advice/Suggestions?

SolidSnake03
12-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a new helmet that works for me and was wondering if I could get some advice on this topic. I'm a pretty small guy 5'9'' 125pd with an unusually small head ~50.8cm *just remeasured* at best if I have hair. This has made finding a helmet that works very tricky because I'm at the bottom range of the small sizes in almost every company. In a few cases, actually below the small size.

The problem is not that I can't get the helmet tight front to back with the retention, it's that there is a bunch of space between the sides of the helmet then. I can, when wearing almost every helmet I have tried *Met Estro, Lazer Genesis, Giro Atmos and Aeon, Rudy Project Sterling, Spec Propero II, Catlike Vaccumm* push the helmet side to side very easily because of all the space. I can basically fit a thumb between the side of my head and the inside shell of the helmet. I can hang upside down and the helmet won't fall or budge because the retention holds it tight but side to side there is a lot of play.

I feel like this is a concern/not good. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Are my fears unfounded?

I'm considering trying the new Bell Gage and possible a Kask but other than that I don't know what else to try.

I currently have a Spec Echlon that fits great *no horizontal space* but venting is poor and its getting quite banged up from daily use. Sadly Spec changed the shape recently so I can't find this helmet anymore :mad:

Hope someone has some insight or help here, thanks!

lukeheller
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't have a particularly small head but I can weigh in on this a little. I tried and liked the Lazer "unisize" for a little bit and decided I really didn't like it because while it may fit all size heads, it comes at a cost. There is significant gaps and it secures onto your head by cinches down around the circumference of your head... and it always leaves a red mark.

I went back to Louis Garneau. I'm now on my 3rd LG helmet. The last one I had was the Diamond... most expensive but I couldn't get it to stay on my head properly so I chucked it. I'm now using the LG exo nerve and LOVE IT. It's a perfect fit... and a great deal.

sc53
12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
Don't take this the wrong way--but as a female with a small head I have often found a kid's size works well for me! I'm not talking about a pink helmet with My Little Ponies on it; there are some subdued, mono-color models that look fine on an adult!

Hawker
12-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm small too but I doubt your head is 21cm...but perhaps 21"? :)

If you have a Performance Bike near you, go and check out their offerings, particually their Scattante brand. Have you tried Specialized?

PS: If your head really is 21cm, would love to see a pic.

christian
12-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Don't take this the wrong way--but as a female with a small head I have often found a kid's size works well for me! I'm not talking about a pink helmet with My Little Ponies on it; there are some subdued, mono-color models that look fine on an adult!

My kid runs something called a Giro Flume. It's a totally adequate helmet in every way. (Well, it has a visor, so you obviously couldn't wear it on the road... but other than that.)

alessandro
12-06-2012, 12:03 PM
SolidSnake, 21" = 53.34 cm, if that be the case.

Check out the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute. In particular, they point to a couple of manufacturers who make helmets for narrow heads, if that describes your shape: http://www.helmets.org/helmet12.htm#narrow--Cratoni, Lazer (the O2 RD, not the Genesis) make models for narrow heads. The BSHI entry on Lazer links to an article with pictures of the rentention system that may be what you're looking for.

TSG is listed too, but that's a skate style, so it'll be hot + give you that BMX look that all road cyclists crave... :rolleyes:

Also, go to a shop and try on some of the Bell helmets--the Sweep and Array claim to fit as small as 51 cm.

If narrow does not describe you, BHSI still has quite a lot of information on helmets. I have a large cranium, so I have to hunt a bit on the other end of the scale. Good luck, and let us know what you find.

SolidSnake03
12-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I have re-measured my head using a tape measure and some string that I marked for circumference. The ~21in was an estimate at best, the measured amount is 50.8cm. I have double checked this and had my roommate do so as well, that's spot on the right circumference.

This isn't actually too surprising for me because I have always had trouble wearing hats etc.. All my winter hats and even baseball caps are too loose unless I shrink them in the dryer after washing them.

I have considered looking into a child size helmet if I can find something relatively neutral that is fine for road use. Obviously the pony helmets are a no go but aside from that I'm pretty open. I will, although it might hurt my pride/vanity a bit, actually look into this option

Bell or Kask still seem to be my best bet right now. I haven't tried the Lazer O2 RD yet because I can't seem to find one near me. Everyone stocks the Genesis and the retention system didn't work for me, left a lot of room around the edges of the helmet.

I'm totally open to any other suggestions if you guys have them. Brand wise I have found out that Met, Giro, Rudy and Spec don't work except in the case of the Spec Echlon *older model*

zennmotion
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Louis Garneau as mentioned above. We spent years looking for a good quality helmet that would fit my small wife's small head, and that's the brand that finally fits her well. I think it's an X-Lite, but several years old now

carpediemracing
12-06-2012, 04:09 PM
For the longest time I wore Giros and avoided Bells, mainly because Bell's first attempts at modern helmets were terrible (the Pump thing was what ended it for me, where you pump air bladders to adjust snugness).

A couple years ago a long time rider said that I should give Bell a shot again because they fit well if a Giro is loose side to side (and mine was loose side to side). I didn't realize my helmet was loose side to side until I put a Bell on - it fit like a baseball cap.

I've since bought a few Bells. Actually I bought different types - the Volt, Gage, some commuter helmet, and, just in case, a TT one. They all fit really well. After decades of wearing helmets that weren't quite right I'm very happy with the way they fit.

Now, size-wise, I don't know. I just know that the Bell helmet shape works really well if a Giro feels a bit loose side to side.

SolidSnake03
12-06-2012, 05:49 PM
For the longest time I wore Giros and avoided Bells, mainly because Bell's first attempts at modern helmets were terrible (the Pump thing was what ended it for me, where you pump air bladders to adjust snugness).

A couple years ago a long time rider said that I should give Bell a shot again because they fit well if a Giro is loose side to side (and mine was loose side to side). I didn't realize my helmet was loose side to side until I put a Bell on - it fit like a baseball cap.

I've since bought a few Bells. Actually I bought different types - the Volt, Gage, some commuter helmet, and, just in case, a TT one. They all fit really well. After decades of wearing helmets that weren't quite right I'm very happy with the way they fit.

Now, size-wise, I don't know. I just know that the Bell helmet shape works really well if a Giro feels a bit loose side to side.

This is exactly why I stopped wearing Giro! Well aside from the fact that for some reason with those helmets I had defending wind noise....

Anyhow, I will be pursuing Bell for sure, would you care to comment at all on the differences between the Volt and Gage? Those are the 2 that catch my eye right now with the Volt being ~$50-60 cheaper online. I know my size is a small *obviously* so I can save a bit depending on color/design.

So far Bell and LG seem to both be promising leads, Kask has my interest but are harder to find locally to try on.

cfox
12-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Specialized S-works are definitely narrow, more so than a Lazer Genesis.

carpediemracing
12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
I'll add that I have two Specialized helmets too, an S-Works whatever and the one below it (when the initial batch of S-Works were recalled Specialized sent out the one below it to the shops - S-Works helmet owners were given the other helmet as a temporary substitute and they could keep them after). I believe I got them over the 2008-2009 winter.

Although the Specialized fits better than the Giro, it's not the same. I used a couple versions of the Specialized helmets when they first came out (Sub-6, the mouth one, then another mouth one). Although the fit has not been consistent over the last two decades (lol) the S-Works and the one below it both fit the same, both fit a bit wide.

I crashed the S-Works so that's gone. The next helmet has the best surface for my helmet cam but it's getting a bit beat up from travel etc so now I'm using the Volt.

ultraman6970
12-06-2012, 08:03 PM
kask

wc1934
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
uvex - worth looking at- got my from amazon

http://www.uvex-sports.de/en/cycling/

jwad
12-07-2012, 01:12 AM
kask

Kask sounds like a good option. Competitive Cyclist has one in their 12 days of Christmas also.

ultraman6970
12-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Super good helmet, the only advice I can give to the OP is the find the helmet that fits his head shape the best. American brands are made generally for rounded heads, if the head is oval or flat in the back and wide at the sides pretty much gets giro, uvex and others out right away.

I went kask because of the latch and adjustment system and because are wider at the sides. Just saw that at CC im tempted on getting a second one. Waiting for the campagnolo offers now :D

jpw
12-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Kask?

SolidSnake03
12-07-2012, 06:12 AM
The Kask Helmets do look very promising and after checking out their website+video's I think it might actually fit pretty well. The retention system seems to be very solid and have a huge adjustment range. Also, the construction appears to be quite good. Only issue might be trying to find one somewhere to try on, don't really want to just blindly buy it.

Anyhow, thanks for the awesome suggestions everyone! I now have a pretty solid idea what to look at once I scrape together a bit of cash again.

Any other suggestions or comments are more than welcome :hello:

ultraman6970
12-07-2012, 07:36 AM
I bought mine on sale online because almost nobody has them in stores, read some reviews ask people and all the guys agreed that were wide in the sides and that made me pull the plug, happy with my k.50 evo.

Cant complain for what i paid for, 50 bucks shipped I believe and way better than the other one i had.

Are 100% made in italy apparently.

SolidSnake03
12-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Wait the Kask are wide in the sides? That's the opposite of what I want. My issue is that there is TOO much side to side play/room in the helmets I have tried. I can get them tight front to back with the retention systems but there is always too much room between my head and the hard insides of the helmet.

ultraman6970
12-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Well obviously you can adjust but for example giros are round all the way or kind;a oval... LG are tight in the sides for example. Kask arent tight in the sides compared with LG or giro thinking in the same size of helmet... for example 61 ish ones.

SolidSnake03
12-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Ah got you, ok so then I would probably not be interested in Kask too much. The LG sounds more what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to find a helmet that is "tight in the sides" so to speak. In other words, one that doesn't have much space in those parts compared to the front-back direction.

I guess maybe what would suit me best would be a small helmet that is quite oval in shape.

cfox
12-07-2012, 01:03 PM
are guys just throwing out the name of their favorite helmet? The OP asked specifically for a narrow fitting helmet. I'll reiterate; I've owned Giro, Limar, Lazer, Kask and Specialized, and the Specialized is the narrowest fit of the bunch.