PDA

View Full Version : Cycleops vs. Garmin - what's what?

dd74
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
I currently use a Garmin 800, but have lately noticed Cycleops' Powertap-type products.

Does anyone on the forum use the Cycleops' products?

Can anyone tell me the main advantages/differences of Cycleops vs. Garmin?

Are the Cycleops wheelsets any good? I'm not sure if there's a Powertap hub pattern that would work with my Campy Shamals or Bora 2s.

Thx.

Bruce K
12-06-2012, 04:49 AM
If you are not training with power data there is not much need for Cycleops products.

If you are then they tend to be a less expensive option than crank based systems.

The downside of Cycleops based systems is that they limit you to the wheels that have the hub whereas crank based systems let you swap wheels around freely.

I have a Garmin 500 and the Cycleops Joule in both the older 2.0 and new GPS versions, using them with Powertap hubs (the newest Joule and the Garmin) and a Quark (the older Joule).

The mapping feature on the Garmin is better and easier to use. I like the Joules better for the data consistency and functionaliity for training.

BK

EDS
12-06-2012, 08:30 AM
If you are not training with power data there is not much need for Cycleops products.

If you are then they tend to be a less expensive option than crank based systems.

The downside of Cycleops based systems is that they limit you to the wheels that have the hub whereas crank based systems let you swap wheels around freely.

I have a Garmin 500 and the Cycleops Joule in both the older 2.0 and new GPS versions, using them with Powertap hubs (the newest Joule and the Garmin) and a Quark (the older Joule).

The mapping feature on the Garmin is better and easier to use. I like the Joules better for the data consistency and functionaliity for training.

BK

Why have more than one head unit?

UberBike
12-07-2012, 11:15 PM
The Jule has some training specific features.
A button to start your interval training . heh.

Not worth switching if you already have a garmin

Bruce K
12-08-2012, 05:31 AM
I won a Pro+ hub and Joule in a raffle after already owning one.

The Garmin was purchased to use with my Quark and to add GPS functions

The newest Joule was purchased because of issues between the Quark and Garmin (function behaviors) that I didn't like

The Garmin is now used with the Powercal on my cross bikes ( geared and SS)

BK