PDA

View Full Version : OT: Soft-shell Water Proofing Recs

retrofit
12-05-2012, 07:16 PM
For the past approximately 6 years I've worn a Patagonia Rain Shadow soft-shell jacket for wet weather. Its been a great jacket and is still in excellent condition; however, the original water proofing no longer repels water very well.

Rather than buying a new jacket, I thought I'd just apply a soft-shell water proofing treatment to give it a few more years of life.

So, does anybody have a recommendation for an effective soft-shell treatment?

Stan

scooter
12-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Gore ReviveX. I have used it on my Patagonia shell which had gone porous after 10 years of hiking and backpacking. It seems to be doing the job, though my hiking has diminished considerably of late.

retrofit
12-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Gore ReviveX. I have used it on my Patagonia shell which had gone porous after 10 years of hiking and backpacking. It seems to be doing the job, though my hiking has diminished considerably of late.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

gdw
12-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Nikwax
http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/productdetail.php?productid=251&activityid=-1&itemid=-1&fabricid=-1
Mcnett
http://www.amazon.com/McNett-ReviveX-Spray-On-Repellent-Shells/dp/B001EWHXV2/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_waterp13ng

dk2ck
12-06-2012, 01:50 AM

Do you think something like that would work on an old Rapha lightweight softshell jacket?

scooter
12-06-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a Rapha softshell jacket and I don't think it would be very effective on that Rapha fabric. Rapha uses a water-resistant membrane in its construction and not a coated outer fabric, as far as I know. The Rapha fabric is too heavy and the Rapha jacket is not machine washable. The Gore ReviveX instructions call for the garment to be treated by (1) machine washing, (2) spray soaking the garment with ReviveX, and then (3) machine drying on low heat.

I would characterize this product's target application to be your thin polyester/nylon outerwear that employs an exterior with some form of waterproofing treatment on it that has degraded with use.

67-59
12-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I have a Rapha softshell jacket and I don't think it would be very effective on that Rapha fabric. Rapha uses a water-resistant membrane in its construction and not a coated outer fabric, as far as I know. The Rapha fabric is too heavy and the Rapha jacket is not machine washable. The Gore ReviveX instructions call for the garment to be treated by (1) machine washing, (2) spray soaking the garment with ReviveX, and then (3) machine drying on low heat.

I would characterize this product's target application to be your thin polyester/nylon outerwear that employs an exterior with some form of waterproofing treatment on it that has degraded with use.

I'm curious about your statement above. The Rapha website says the Classic Softshell is machine washable and dryable on cool settings. Does your personal experience suggest that this isn't a good idea?

BTW - I'm not disagreeing with your opinion about whether ReviveX would work, since I've never tried it. I'm more concerned about the washability of the Rapha Softshell, since it's next on my "to buy" list.

scooter
12-06-2012, 12:20 PM
It might be just fine, but I wouldn't. The agitation in a washing machine can be tough on fabrics, and I wouldn't want to risk damaging a jacket that now retails for $375.00. Frankly, I've never had to do more to any jacket than spot clean it.

Using the ReviveX on my Patagonia shell was the first time I've thrown a jacket into a washer. I had nothing to lose since it was so porous and wasn't proper rainwear anymore. It came out looking just fine and functions well now.

FGC
12-06-2012, 03:51 PM
This is the best thing I've ever read about taking care of DWR gear:
http://www.thecleanestline.com/2008/08/the-care-feedin.html

retrofit
12-06-2012, 06:48 PM
This is the best thing I've ever read about taking care of DWR gear:
http://www.thecleanestline.com/2008/08/the-care-feedin.html

Well, that about sums it up. Thanks for the link.

rphetteplace
12-06-2012, 09:49 PM
take it back to Patagonia and they'll replace it.

Ti_on_Steel
12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I'd +1 sending it back to Patagonia. They are great about it. I once walked into a Patagonia store in a jacket that I had torn in a crash to pick up something else, and they insisted on replacing the torn jacket on principle.