PDA

View Full Version : Questions for MeiVici owners

norcalbiker
12-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Is this frame comfortable for a long ride? My brother is now interested on this frame that it's in classified here. This is for sale by our member.

Here is the geometry on the Meivici
ST 56cm
TT 56cm
STA 73
HTA 73
Setback 16.4
Head Tube 15.6

He now rides a Look595 in Large.

ThirtyEast
12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Yes. Exceedingly so.

Bruce K
12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I have done a bunch of metrics, centuries, and 2 day near doubles on mine

That's what mine was built for

BK

Charles M
12-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I would guess it's something to do with how it fits your brother too...

SPOKE
12-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Need to know what tubes were used in the build. If it is built with the 10.5 tubes then it may be a bit harsh for a light weight rider.

stien
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM

Only 99% of it matters on that :banana:

norcalbiker
12-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Need to know what tubes were used in the build. If it is built with the 10.5 tubes then it may be a bit harsh for a light weight rider.

What is 10.5 tubes?

SPOKE
12-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Very stiff tube set. I think the have 6.5, 8.5, & 10.5 tubes that they use to build the Meivici frames.

ThirtyEast
12-05-2012, 07:02 PM
The comfort of the bike will not be affected by the tube selection - just the weight of the frame.

christian
12-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Um, it will fit nearly identically to a 585. Meivici has a slightly slacker STA, so effectively a tiny bit shorter TT. Can perhaps go up 10mm in stem length.

Jeff N.
12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Love mine. Certainly comfy for the long haul. Jeff N.

Steve in SLO
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
If it fits him, it's a go forever frame.

happycampyer
12-05-2012, 08:22 PM
The comfort of the bike will not be affected by the tube selection - just the weight of the frame.My experience is different—as I have described previously, before I had a MeiVici built for me, I owned two MeiVicis that I bought here secondhand: a custom SE built for a rider who weighs a little less than me, and a stock GS. I much preferred the ride of the SE, which i understand was a mix of 6.5 (mostly) and 8.5 tubing, to that of the GS, which was all 8.5 tubing. The tubeset of the custom one I ultimately had built was based on the tubeset of the secondhand SE (the frame was a little too big for me). That's not to say that someone else won't have the opposite preference, or have any preference, but I would surprised if one couldn't tell a difference at all (other than weight, which would be hard to detect when the bikes are fully built).

Build sheets don't say what the tubing selection was, so it's not easy to get that info fwii. I think some shops have better insight into the tubing selection used than others. While it's not sure-fire, I suspect that the stiffness of the fork (6.5 vs. 8.5 vs. 10.5) would give some indication of the general stiffness of the frame, since the forks tend to be matched to the frame stiffness.

Charles M
12-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Campers right.

I've had 3 different builds to ride and the geo was similar but the ride quality of a frame built for a guy roughly 50 pounds heavier than me was very simply not as smooth as the frame that was made to my request...

jghall
12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Ditto on what Campy/Bill and Charles mention.

The ride will be a combination of fit, tubing, and your weight and/or desires.

My Meivici(Bill's previous SE), is built with the less stiff 6.5 tubes and is probably the most comfortable carbon frame I have been on. Maybe even a sliver more comfortable than my Crumpton. I liken it the ride to a Ti frame with a tad of that carbon zip.

572cv
12-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Mine was a treat through two centuries and numerous long rides this (now past) season. Fork should have the stiffness labeled just below the F3. Also, check the trail on the fork, which can make the handling twitcher or smoother, as the case may be. Bon Route!

SoCalSteve
12-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Tube selection is paramount to comfort, just like everyone else said. Mine had a 10.5 downtube and I found it to be harsh for my taste...YRMV

Ken Robb
12-05-2012, 11:07 PM
The comfort of the bike will not be affected by the tube selection - just the weight of the frame.

If this is so, why would they offer a variety of tubes?

happycampyer
12-06-2012, 05:59 AM
Some additional observations for the OP:

As others have said, the geometry of the MeiVici in the classifieds is very similar to the size L 595—if the 595 fits your brother, there is a very good chance that the MeiVici will fit as well. The seat tube of the 595's were fairly steep (73.75º for size L), but I think Look was taking into account the design of the e-post, which has 3 centimeters of rearward adjustability from the centerline (the geo of the 585 was similar, and Look undoubtedly designed those with the Ergopost 4 in mind, which has similar adjustment to the e-post). So as christian noted, once your brother gets the saddles in the same place, the 595 will have a slightly longer top tube than the MeiVici. The headtube plus headset of the MeiVici will end up being about 1 - 1.5 cm taller than the integrated headset of the 595 plus the top bearing cap. The other unkown variable is bottom bracket drop, which could affect the effective headtube height a bit more.

In terms of ride quality, I had a 595 Origin at the same time that I owned both of the used MeiVicis. The 595 was as stiff if not stiffer than the MeiVici GS (which was a stock version of the MeiVici with all medium/8.5 stiffness tubing).* I'm sure Thor Hushovd needed the stiffness for sprinting, but I don't, and on rough pavement the 595 was a lot more work to control. I don't think that Thor Hushovd ever rode the 595 in Paris-Roubaix—he continued to ride the 585 even after the 595 was introduced.

Buying a used MeiVici can be a bit hit-or-miss in terms of getting the stiffness just right, but then again the used prices of MeiVicis are pretty reasonable and fairly stable, so if a frame doesn't work out it one should be able to sell it without taking a big hit. When it's right, well, it's really really right.

To jghall—I'm pretty sure that the tubing of that frame, and of my current one, are all 6.5 stiffness except for the chainstays, which are 8.5 stiffness.

*I happen to know the original owner of the MeiVici that SoCalSteve bought, and he asked Serotta for a stiff frame, along the lines of a 595 that he owned at the time.

jpw
12-06-2012, 06:21 AM

on form today ;)

Pete Mckeon
12-06-2012, 07:45 AM
tube selection was based on the first customer - - - their size/weight, stiff ie CRIT or long road rides, comfort vs race, then also angles where appropriate.

pete

Campers right.

I've had 3 different builds to ride and the geo was similar but the ride quality of a frame built for a guy roughly 50 pounds heavier than me was very simply not as smooth as the frame that was made to my request...

oldpotatoe
12-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Ditto on what Campy/Bill and Charles mention.

The ride will be a combination of fit, tubing, and your weight and/or desires.

My Meivici(Bill's previous SE), is built with the less stiff 6.5 tubes and is probably the most comfortable carbon frame I have been on. Maybe even a sliver more comfortable than my Crumpton. I liken it the ride to a Ti frame with a tad of that carbon zip.

And I'll say it again, it is completely subjective. I rode a guys DeRosa Primato and I thought it somewhat vague, not as snappy as my Merckx MXLeader. The DeRosa owner rode my Merckx MXLeader and said the same thing about my Merckx, vague compared to his DeRosa. Both same size, 58cm, same geometry.

93legendti
12-06-2012, 08:05 AM
Good details here:
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7458&catname=Tech%20News

jpw
12-06-2012, 08:22 AM
Good details here:
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7458&catname=Tech%20News

I remember this piece. It should form the basis for Serotta's future marketing strategy in carbon. It's what helps a customer to understand what the proposition is when they see 'Serotta' and the prices.

christian
12-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Oh good grief, it's a Meivici for $1500 in traditional CONI geometry 56cm and a nice short headtube. Stop the f*cking navel gazing and just buy the thing; if it doesn't work out, he can resell it for the $40 loss in shipping. (Hell, in six weeks, I'll buy it for $1500 if it doesn't work out.)

If I hadn't had a new frameset and some Enve wheels delivered in the last 7 days, I would have bought it in the first 15 minutes. But $1500 and a divorce is no bargain! :)

54ny77
12-06-2012, 08:40 AM
now that's funny.

if it was a 54/55 i'd have hit the buy it now button and gotten rid of my tarmac for that in a heartbeat, stiffness/schmiffness be damned.

Oh good grief, it's a Meivici for $1500 in traditional CONI geometry 56cm and a nice short headtube. Stop the f*cking navel gazing and just buy the thing; if it doesn't work out, he can resell it for the $40 loss in shipping. (Hell, in six weeks, I'll buy it for $1500 if it doesn't work out.)

If I hadn't had a new frameset and some Enve wheels delivered in the last 7 days, I would have bought it in the first 15 minutes. But $1500 and a divorce is no bargain! :)

1/2 Wheeler
12-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Get it! If it is the stiffer tube set lower the tire pressure 5 lbs and you will never know.

MadRocketSci
12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
since it's a demo bike, i'd guess that if your bro is around average weight for his height, the thing will ride great....

bobswire
12-06-2012, 10:41 AM

Oh Yeah, wish I had that choice before my divorce. Would have been an excellent trade off for me. :banana:

norcalbiker
12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Well, I did send payment to the seller, so as of this morning that frame is sold and my brother (he is actually my brother-in-law. My bad) is going to be a very happy camper soon. Now all we need are bunch of Sram Red components and other parts to built it. :banana:

christian
12-06-2012, 11:50 AM
going to be a very happy camper soon. Now all we need are bunch of Sram Red components and other parts to built it.
All due respect, but it's going to take more than one Meivici to be like Happycampyer. And the other things it takes don't include Red. :)

Congrats to your brother in law. Sweet bike.

54ny77
12-06-2012, 11:51 AM
Sweet!

Good luck and congrats.

That was one helluva good price on what is (hopefully) a no-issues frame.