PDA

View Full Version : removing Tubasi rim cement from tire casing, need ideas

cmg
12-05-2012, 02:15 PM
anybody have an idea how to remove Tubasi rim cement from the tire inner casing? It's a Vitorria tire and i'd like to reuse it. The white Tubasi cement oozed out from under the rim and after watching it make a mess for a summer i took it off the rim and replaced it. got another set of tubulars, i'd like to clean this stuff off the casing re-glue and remount. What wouldn't damage the adhesion between the the tire casing and tire surface? Thinking about using an Orange derivative remover. that stuff took off the majority of the rim glue. ideas are welcomed.

zennmotion
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
anybody have an idea how to remove Tubasi rim cement from the tire inner casing? It's a Vitorria tire and i'd like to reuse it. The white Tubasi cement oozed out from under the rim and after watching it make a mess for a summer i took it off the rim and replaced it. got another set of tubulars, i'd like to clean this stuff off the casing re-glue and remount. What wouldn't damage the adhesion between the the tire casing and tire surface? Thinking about using an Orange derivative remover. that stuff took off the majority of the rim glue. ideas are welcomed.

Don't do anything. Any solvent that removes glue will also dissolve the latex that glues the base tape down. Don't use anything, just re-glue as is. If anything I guess you could try to (gently) scrape off some of the big chunks with a dull tool like a butter knife. But I'd just re-glue.
PS next time, thin layers, less mess, better adhesion. With a new tire, I let the first glue layer on the casing dry completely, then re-stretch on a clean dry rim as it shrinks a little bit from the wet glue. Remove from the rim and then continue with the 2nd and 3rd layers. The re-stretched casing will mount much easier