PDA

View Full Version : Is that rust on my Reynolds 853 frame?

Ewarrior
12-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Hello,

I am wondering if that is rust on the underside of the tope tube, rear brake area, (name escapes me) and cable guide, and if so does it need to be taken care of? I believe I read here earlier on a recent thread someone recommended a product called evoprorust (I think, will confirm later).

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=115115145157633432065&target=ALBUM&id=5818461296665796385&authkey=Gv1sRgCMfq3tHf8riEzQE&feat=email

I am using the bike rain or shine, everyday in Seattle. So it is going to take a beating. This frame, I have been told runs large as well as being a 55cm, is possibly too big. As I am roughly 5ft 7-8 inches and been told that a 52-53 would be a better fit. If this is a quick fix then cool, if not then, I would probably repair what I can and just ride it while I search for a better sized frame.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your time,

Warren

jtakeda
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Hello,

I am wondering if that is rust on the underside of the tope tube, rear brake area, (name escapes me) and cable guide, and if so does it need to be taken care of? I believe I read here earlier on a recent thread someone recommended a product called evoprorust (I think, will confirm later).

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=115115145157633432065&target=ALBUM&id=5818461296665796385&authkey=Gv1sRgCMfq3tHf8riEzQE&feat=email

I am using the bike rain or shine, everyday in Seattle. So it is going to take a beating. This frame, I have been told runs large as well as being a 55cm, is possibly too big. As I am roughly 5ft 7-8 inches and been told that a 52-53 would be a better fit. If this is a quick fix then cool, if not then, I would probably repair what I can and just ride it while I search for a better sized frame.

Thoughts?

Thank you for your time,

Warren

Just because you're 5'7" doesn't mean you should ride a 52-53.

I'm the same height as you and I find 54-55 the best size.
I have a 33" inseam and longish arms though

AngryScientist
12-05-2012, 08:54 AM
yea, that's rust, but most of it doesnt look bad at all.

here's the low-down: steel bike NEED to have a coating on them in order not to rust. what that means to you is that you need to clean all of the areas that have paint missing. clean them good, get them down to bare metal. then use a good metal primer and a good automotive quality paint over that. bare steel WILL rust, period. if you're riding it in bad conditions, it will rust faster. keep the paint in good shape and it will not rust, that's all there is to it. what i described doesnt have to be a difficult time consuming process either, clean it, prep the bare spots and apply touch-up paint, done.

a coat of automotive wax when you're done isnt the worst idea.

frame saver, or other petroleum based corrosion inhibitor on the INSIDE of the tubes is an excellent idea as well.

cheers.

Ewarrior
12-05-2012, 09:00 AM
What should I use to clean them?

As for the frame size, the only way to know is to ride different bikes correct? As this is my first road bike, shortly will be built with gears, I have no reference point as to size or not. Suggestions?

Ewarrior
12-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Already used framesaver on inside of the frame, this was the condition I got the frame in.

charliedid
12-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Can you post a pic of yourself on the bike? If it fits fine and you just need a good bike as a daily rider/commuter you can go for a quick repaint or powdercoat. Stop in to R+E Cycles and talk to someone there.

Ewarrior
12-05-2012, 09:22 AM
I was hoping to use it to train on and possibly join the recycled cycles team, I was wondering if the rust needed to be treated and if so, what should I use and the process to clean it.

I rode a couple bikes but the size was arbitrary but they have either been single speed with a flat bar or a mountain bike. This is the first road bike I will have ridden with a drop bar and gears. The other day I was speaking to the manager at recycled cycles location and have talked to others their as well, and he said based on how I had the bike set up (currently single speed) and my sizing. That a 52-53 would probably be a better fit but that the 55cm bike while it will work may not be the best fit.

Thank you for the responses so far,

Warren

Ewarrior
12-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I just have not ridden that many bikes at all, given that I am young, so I don't know for the fit.

cachagua
12-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Carefully leave your wallet at home, and go to R+E and talk to someone there. Do the same at Gregg's, maybe Montlake, Counterbalance, and Elliot Bay, and then see whose rant, whose bulldozing, whose sermon, and whose chicken-guts incantations make the most sense to you.

Only then should you consider spending money. Also, talk with other riders -- pmail me if you want, I'd be happy to chat with you, or have a look if you want. (I live in Magnolia.)

I think you mentioned being connected with the Recycled team? Do they have anyone who helps out with bike fit?

Peter P.
12-05-2012, 07:42 PM
To plagarize Crocodile Dundee; "That's not rust; THIS is rust!"

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2727/4326922776_12d0aedecf_z.jpg?zz=1[/url]

Yes; this is my bike. It's 28 years old. So don't worry about your LeMond; it'll likely last a long time whether you take care of it or not.

However, if you ARE interested in prolonging your frame's life, here's what I recommend: Any time you ride the bike and sweat on it, wipe the frame down with a wet rag afterwards. Water by itself on a painted frame won't impact it that much but once you add salt you're definitely asking for trouble.

slidey
12-05-2012, 07:57 PM
+1

Best to ride it out, but for reference I'm 5ft7~8, with 31.5~75" inseam and owned/enjoyed a Lemond in 55.

And, si...rust be it.

Just because you're 5'7" doesn't mean you should ride a 52-53.

I'm the same height as you and I find 54-55 the best size.
I have a 33" inseam and longish arms though

Ralph
12-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Wipe it down with rag wet with WD 40, and do that often. Whole frame.

Ewarrior
12-05-2012, 08:33 PM
Thank you, everyone for the responses,

It it nice to confirm that the frame would be fine with the rust, I will try to clean it up a bit then just rub it with WD-40 rag every once in while. Then, possible at some point give it a good, thorough cleaning later on.

I am really close to having all the parts for my bike to and hopefully can have them all within the next two days. Then hopefully can get it built before the weekend.

From

Warren