PDA

View Full Version : and so it begins...

MattTuck
12-04-2012, 08:11 PM
From an email from Dave Kirk earlier today"

I’ll get started tomorrow on the build.

Louis
12-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Terraplane or not? (since his dwg software doesn't have the ability to show the stays)

BumbleBeeDave
12-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Clear plastic wheels? I don't see any spokes . . .

BBD

Ken Robb
12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
hmmm, it's not just our size Thompson

MattTuck
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Terraplane or not? (since his dwg software doesn't have the ability to show the stays)

Yes, the terraplane stays. I figured that it was his signature feature and although I wasn't crazy about the look when I first saw it, it has grown on me.

FlashUNC
12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
No derailleur hanger? Mr. Kirk is clearly letting his standards slip.

And that new name design for the down and seat tubes. Ick.

Liv2RideHard
12-05-2012, 03:34 AM
You'll be able to scratch the Kirk off your wishlist...can't wait to see it.

crownjewelwl
12-05-2012, 04:31 AM
How bout some more details??? :no:

Nice!!!

fuzzalow
12-05-2012, 06:07 AM
418 on the chainstays, huh? Oh yeah. That will help it handle nice.

I dunno how the fad of ultra short chainstays (e.g. 403mm) took hold on production road bikes but I'm glad to see the builders exhibit more sense for handling. Eddy's Molteni DeRosa's had normal length chainstays like your Kirk which puts both you and the builder in some very good company.

Congrats, post pics when it's delivered.

AngryScientist
12-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Matt - that's great, one of the greatest.

What tire clearance and brake combination will this bike be able to accommodate, is it designed as a pure road machine, or something you can take on a bit more of an off the beaten path adventures?

yngpunk
12-05-2012, 07:16 AM
hmmm, it's not just our size Thompson

But, it's just my size...hmmm...

tv_vt
12-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Actually, it might fit Mr. Dave T. Nice geo. Pretty tall HT, relaxed SA and HA, long chainstays. That should be a comfy, all-day riding frame.

How tall are you? (I'd guess 6-0 to 6-2.)

What's the ETA?

MattTuck
12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
How bout some more details??? :no:

Nice!!!

Going to be fillet brazed with the terraplane seat stay options. I wake up in cold sweats thinking about the paint. I suspect something in a powder blue or white, but not 100% sure yet.

Matt - that's great, one of the greatest.

What tire clearance and brake combination will this bike be able to accommodate, is it designed as a pure road machine, or something you can take on a bit more of an off the beaten path adventures?

Planning to run ultegra on it, so nothing very exotic I'm afraid. I asked Dave to make sure 28mm tires would work on it. Not planning any fenders or anything, so pretty much a 'road' machine. I rode probably 100-150 miles of gnarly gravel and dirt this year on my current 'road' bike. I remember being in a bike shop about a year after I got into road biking and somehow over hearing a sales person talking with a customer.

The subject was the customer thought their road bike should be babied and treated with white gloves and not even ridden on bad pavement. The sales guy pulled out a big coffee table book of Paris Roubaix, and showed how the riders put their bikes (which are modified slightly, but really not that far away from traditional road bikes) through 'hell'... and they were no worse for the wear (save George Hincapie's steerer).

In any event, it was the start of a great love affair between me and the Hell of the North. And I rarely worry about taking my bike on gnarly roads. I have a mountain bike if I want to have adventures in the woods.

malcolm
12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
I have a built for me level tt terraplane and a used slight slope straight stay built for someone else but fits me and I can't imagine anything better than either one. If you communicate with Dave he is more than capable of giving you exaxtly what you imagined if not more.

crownjewelwl
12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Going to be fillet brazed with the terraplane seat stay options. I wake up in cold sweats thinking about the paint. I suspect something in a powder blue or white, but not 100% sure yet.

just my size...let's discuss paint before you do anything i dont like

MattTuck
12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Actually, it might fit Mr. Dave T. Nice geo. Pretty tall HT, relaxed SA and HA, long chainstays. That should be a comfy, all-day riding frame.

How tall are you? (I'd guess 6-0 to 6-2.)

What's the ETA?

I'm 5-11. Been fit a few times (Fitwerx, Drummond) and think I'm pretty happy with these contact points where I am now. My current bike has been a compromise on a lot of factors especially related to my back flexibility which causes me to rotate my hips forward on my current bike which is not good as it becomes a comfort issue as my weight roles on to sensitive parts.

This bike is being built with a few cm of spacers under the stem, so if I can get some more flexibility, maybe I can ride a bit more aggressive position.

PS. If the rain holds off, I'm riding today. This is the season (started in March with 60 degree days) that just keeps on giving. Was pleasantly surprised to see the temp was 45 when I came into today.

palincss
12-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Not planning any fenders or anything, so pretty much a 'road' machine.

Implying fenders are incompatible with a 'road' machine. Why is that?

firerescuefin
12-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Nice Matt!:cool:

MattTuck
12-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Implying fenders are incompatible with a 'road' machine. Why is that?

Poor choice of words. Nothing wrong with fenders in my book, it doesn't make a bike any less adapted for the road. Maybe my next 'road' bike will have fenders. :)

If I commuted or lived in a rainy climate, I'd probably have fenders already. as it is, getting soaked while riding in the rain (warm weather rain) is part of the thrill.

CaptStash
12-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Hello Matthe,

I am insanely jealous.

That is all.

CaptStash....

bambam
12-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I seriously doubt you'll have any regrets. I know I don't in my case.
Dave Kirk is great to work with.
I have many glorious miles on the Kirk that was made for me. Always fits like a glove whenever I come back to it.
It is the least dusty of my rides.

You may need to adjust your signature. Maybe, take Kirk off the Wishlist and put it on a waitlist?

Many miles of happy riding and be sure to show us the birth pictures.

BamBam

merlinmurph
12-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Hey, fantastic!
You must be psyched. It'll be a little weird getting a brand new bike in the middle of winter up here in the NE. I remember buying a new 9' windsurfer in January. I kept it in my living room all winter, just looking at it until things warmed up enough.
Looking forward to seeing the pics when you get it.
Murph

MattTuck
12-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey, fantastic!
You must be psyched. It'll be a little weird getting a brand new bike in the middle of winter up here in the NE. I remember buying a new 9' windsurfer in January. I kept it in my living room all winter, just looking at it until things warmed up enough.
Looking forward to seeing the pics when you get it.
Murph

Yeah, I hope spring comes early this year!

Otherwise, I might end up like this guy:

http://media1.annabrixthomsen.com/2012/06/lotr-gollum.jpg

slidey
12-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Nice going...pile on progress pics too!