PDA

View Full Version : Winter training tires?

mhespenheide
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Can anyone recommend a set of tires that balance durability, a decent ride quality and cornering, and don't cost an arm and a leg? At one point a few years ago I'd stocked up on Conti Ultra's in 28mm and used those, but I've gone through my pile. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something that will see use on badly-paved roads, with some wet conditions and road debris (but not like true urban areas), and also on the trainer. Although I could switch out the rear wheel with a trainer-specific one, if that's a dealbreaker.

Thanks,
Mark.

DHallerman
12-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Conti 4-Seasons.

Available both as 700x28 and 700x25.

Nooch
12-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I go between Ruffy Tuffy's in 700x28 and Open Pave's in 700x24, depending on the ride..

dekindy
12-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Based upon my research a couple of years ago went with the Vittoria Open Pave.

MattTuck
12-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Mark,

Where are you located? For me, "winter riding" means below freezing temps. Although it is possible to change a flat in those conditions, it is not something that I think is very safe.

For me, 'winter riding' should skew towards the most effective flat protection you can get.

canham
12-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Open paves have great ride quality but I have found them to be very prone to cuts (though I have not yet suffered a flat). Also, they are far from inexpensive, and you will destroy them quickly on the trainer. I think the conti 4 seasons may be a better choice.

christian
12-04-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm riding something called a Continental Ultra Sport. I bought it at some out-of-the-way bike shop when I suffered a terminal cut on a Michelin Pro4 during a commute.

It is hard, black, and cheap. Those would be its positive qualities. Used it on the trainer this morning. Doesn't seem any worse for wear.

palincss
12-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I like 32mm Paselas for the winter season. In the narrow sizes, whatever the current equivalent of Michelin's Axial Carbon makes a very durable, flat resistant training tire.

nightfend
12-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Schwalbe Durano Plus. Very durable tire. Almost TOO durable as it weighs like 400 grams.

Pete Mckeon
12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
including the 4000s in 25mm.

I would keep it off a trainer and just go for a cheap hard tire for rear on trainer for flexibilty and road feel on trainer is not needed - - just something that holds air and wears very slow is needed:bike::bike:

Conti 4-Seasons.

Available both as 700x28 and 700x25.

54ny77
12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
i have those on a set of wheels. perfectly good tires, and good value. i've ridden them *almost* as hard and confidently on the road as i would a set of gp4000s tires without blinking. the extra price/performance of the fancier rubber, for me, is purely mental. if i'm race weight and fast, the mental matters. otherwise, $20-30 savings per tire in my current state of affairs is more meaningful (and appreciated). ;)

I'm riding something called a Continental Ultra Sport. I bought it at some out-of-the-way bike shop when I suffered a terminal cut on a Michelin Pro4 during a commute.

It is hard, black, and cheap. Those would be its positive qualities. Used it on the trainer this morning. Doesn't seem any worse for wear.

Hank Scorpio
12-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Or just use some old bald piece-o-junk on the trainer. I have plenty of take offs I can send to you to use for trainer use. On the trainer the heat is concentrated will cause a delamination of the tread from the casing at some point. You may not reach that point but why risk it?

I have very bad luck with Vittoria's this past year. Both the Evo corsa CX and the Open Pave have deleveloped several cuts and a good number of flats. I recently switched to the Specialized Roubaix Pro 23/25. They were a little bit large on my Super Six and rubbed on the inside of the fork crown but that bike has a pretty tight clearence.

mike p
12-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree with Matt, durability is king for a winter tire. I don't want to be on the side of the road changing flats when I can't even feel my fingers! I could care less how it corners, I'm not racing I'm training. I've used all kind of cheap heavy tires and tubes, think nashbar, sale, crap.

Mike

Ralph
12-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I just stocked up on some Michelin Lithions from Ribble for $16 each. Seemed like a good deal for a daily rider tire. You could call that my training bike....but don't know what I'm training for....LOL....maybe my Sunday ride on PR 3's.

Don't need trainer tires here in Florida....just go out and ride every day. Sometimes very cold....in 50's early in AM.

Currently trying to wear out some Continenal GatorSkins....can't seem to wear them out. Never had a flat on them either. They do ride hard if you inflate them a lot. But my 700X25's around 80-90 ride just fine. They are my favorite "just for riding" tire. Bought the lower level Michelin's only because they were cheap. I'm fairly easy on tires, ride mostly Mon-Friday on clean trails, so they should last a while.

onekgguy
12-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Oh, I've got just the thing for you! I can't wait to get back on this bad-boy!

Kevin g

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7155/6551580347_6884a88cc8_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/onekgguy/6551580347/)
Salsa Mukluk, front oblique (http://www.flickr.com/photos/onekgguy/6551580347/) by onekgguy (http://www.flickr.com/people/onekgguy/), on Flickr

phcollard
12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Schwalbe Durano Plus. Very durable tire. Almost TOO durable as it weighs like 400 grams.

This. You can leave your patch kit at home and the ride is quite decent.

Oh and I have a brand new pair for sale in 25c :D

mike p
12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Is that meant to be a joke? :-)

Mike

"Sometimes very cold....in 50's early in AM"

charliedid
12-04-2012, 04:51 PM
If you live in an actual "winter" environment and have a bike that can run these...

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/en/continental/bicycle/themes/city/winter/WinterIIPremium/TopCONTACTWinterIIPremium_en.html

phcollard
12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Is that meant to be a joke? :-)

Mike

"Sometimes very cold....in 50's early in AM"

LOL. I call this a lovely Summer morning :)

ecsnsmb
12-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Conti 4 Seasons get my vote. Also used my Conti Gatorskins all year round without a complaint. Tough little buggers.

67-59
12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
LOL. I call this a lovely Summer morning :)

Ditto.

mhespenheide
12-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Mark,

Where are you located? For me, "winter riding" means below freezing temps. Although it is possible to change a flat in those conditions, it is not something that I think is very safe.

For me, 'winter riding' should skew towards the most effective flat protection you can get.

Matt,

I'm at 6000' in central Utah most of the time, although I'll be headed back to upstate NY for Christmas with the family. I don't ride outside much below mid-twenties (farenheit!) because I lack the Belgian hardman mentality. Below that, I stay indoors or run (another heresy, I know).

Alright; I'm happy to put an old junker tire on an old rear wheel for the trainer. Any other suggestions for training in winter? I'm probably looking for a true 25mm width on "normal" rims, or conti 28mm width.

fatallightning
12-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Can't go wrong with 4 seasons, on the cheap I'd look at the Maxxis Re-fuse.

nervousderbes
12-04-2012, 05:38 PM
I need to try those 4 Seasons.

mike p
12-04-2012, 05:47 PM
4 seasons for everyone but Ralph, he only needs 3 seasons! :-)

Mike

fiamme red
12-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Maxxis Re-Fuse and Panaracer T-Serv.

rwsaunders
12-04-2012, 10:27 PM
The price of the 4Seasons can range all over the place, but I've had great luck for a number of years, running them year round on some pretty rotten roads. In fact they've been so good that I'm borderline superstitious about trying another tire.

JLP
12-05-2012, 01:28 AM
GP 4 seasons, FTW

FlashUNC
12-05-2012, 08:03 AM
GP 4 Seasons. Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I use them in the 28mm width on some Hed Belgium C2 rims. Ride great and reliable.

shovelhd
12-05-2012, 08:09 AM
On my CX commuter bike I run 700cx25 Vittoria Zaffiro, about $15. Rotating once, I get about 2K miles out of a set. Very flat resistant, decent dry and wet handling.

GregL
12-05-2012, 09:23 AM
Maxxis Re-Fuse and Panaracer T-Serv.

Second the recommendation for the Panaracer T-Serv. I run them on our family tandem. Very flat resistant, very long lasting, reasonably priced.

- Greg

fiamme red
12-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Second the recommendation for the Panaracer T-Serv. I run them on our family tandem. Very flat resistant, very long lasting, reasonably priced.I really like the T-Serv tires. They roll nicely, aren't too heavy, and have much stronger sidewalls than Paselas.

I was commuting the other day and started to hear something rubbing against my rear fender each wheel revolution. I thought that some gravel might have got stuck to the tire, but I was in a hurry to get to work, so I decided to worry about it later. When I went to unlock my bike later in the day, I found that a large staple had pierced the tire, but fortunately, the tread of the T-Serv (700x32) is thick enough that the staple hadn't penetrated it and caused a flat.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Can anyone recommend a set of tires that balance durability, a decent ride quality and cornering, and don't cost an arm and a leg? At one point a few years ago I'd stocked up on Conti Ultra's in 28mm and used those, but I've gone through my pile. Any other suggestions? I'm looking for something that will see use on badly-paved roads, with some wet conditions and road debris (but not like true urban areas), and also on the trainer. Although I could switch out the rear wheel with a trainer-specific one, if that's a dealbreaker.

Thanks,
Mark.

Conti Ultra Sport wire in 28..I sell 'em form $20. Or Vittoria Zaffiro in 25. Also $20

'Not cost an arm or leg', I think OpnePaves are in that category, IMHO. $55-$75. Same for Conti GP 4seasons...$50++

My truck tires cost less.

russ46
12-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm using Conti 4 Season 28's this year. Last year I used Conti Contact 28's, which worked fine and I'm sure more flat resistant, but their weight was noticeable. FYI, big difference in tire width for the two models supposably the same size.

mhespenheide
12-05-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm using Conti 4 Season 28's this year. Last year I used Conti Contact 28's, which worked fine and I'm sure more flat resistant, but their weight was noticeable. FYI, big difference in tire width for the two models supposably the same size.

Heh. As much as I like Conti tires, their width-measurements seem to vary widely. Pun fully intended. But if you think the Conti Contact 28's are heavy, try the Vittoria Randonneur's in 700x35. Absolute pigs, but they'd probably survive a trip across country with no flats.

Most of the winter I'll be riding an older aluminum Specialized s-works 'cross bike with Conti Contact 32's. They seem to be bomber so far, and it's great for general training, but it's quite a different "feel" overall than my titanium LeMond. On the nice days, I'd like to take the LeMond out...