PDA

View Full Version : Shimano cables vs ---

rjfr
12-04-2012, 11:50 AM
There are numerous threads discussing the merits of Nokon, i-links, Yokazona (sp), Jagwire and other cables, however the results seem to be inconclusive.

Have you found a cable and cover or combination which is superior to Shimano Dura Ace for brakes or shifters? This is for a road bike.

I've tried Nokon which works well, and looks nice for brakes, but gives less than positive results for shifting. I have been very happy with Dura Ace cables, just trying to determine if there is a better option.

Thanks.

shovelhd
12-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I use Yokozuna Reaction on my race bike. Shifting is about the same as 7900 but braking is much superior. They are a pain to run the first time. You'll understand the second time :)

rjfr
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
I use Yokozuna Reaction on my race bike. Shifting is about the same as 7900 but braking is much superior. They are a pain to run the first time. You'll understand the second time :)

thanks for the reply. What group are you using? Any problems with the fitting at either end?

shovelhd
12-04-2012, 12:01 PM
thanks for the reply. What group are you using? Any problems with the fitting at either end?

DA7900. The brake and shifter cables fit into the shifters fine. Whether you will need a ferrule on the other end(s) depends on your frame.

rjfr
12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
DA7900. The brake and shifter cables fit into the shifters fine. Whether you will need a ferrule on the other end(s) depends on your frame.

Yours is the first positive reply I've read for shift cables. Good to know it's possible. There are several positive comments on the brakes. Thanks for the insight.

slidey
12-04-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm using DA7800+Yokozuna reactions.

I can only say I don't notice any degradation of shifting/braking - both exemplary, can't hark my memory back for a comparison though.

BdaGhisallo
12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Yokozuna cables are the best in the business, imo. When I was running 7900 before getting DI2, the Yoko shift cables and housing made a noticeable difference on shift friction and feel. I just used the regular Jet Lubed housings and their stainless cables. I didn't opt for the upcharge for the Reaction setup, since the shift cables are the same, I believe. It's only the brake cable housing that gets the Reaction treatment.

thegunner
12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
careful on the yokozuna's -- if you have a midget bike (50cm or so) you're going to have a hell of a time getting the compressionless cables on a tight/narrow bar setup

dave thompson
12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
A 'trick' I've learned, regardless of the housing used, is to use SRAM shift cables. They measure 1.1MM thick while other Shimano-compatible cables are 1.2MM.

I've used the Yokuzuna cabling 'system' but by using the SRAM shift cables and Shimano housing everything moves just as slick and a large amount of money is saved.

Cat3roadracer
12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
I re-cabled two bikes last weekend with Jagwire. Looks and performs excellent. A good price too.

Gummee
12-04-2012, 02:18 PM
I've been a big fan of QBP's 'slick' cables. The ones that're milled on the outside to smooth out the outer edge of the strands of cable.

Fairly inexpensive and do a good job. Win-win in my book.

M

vqdriver
12-04-2012, 02:23 PM
campy cablesets have worked well for all my road bike uses, regardless of drivetrain. i've been satisfied with jagwire when i want some color. yokozuno is fine but crazy stiff.

more than the brand, most of my cabling ills have been remedied with smoother cable routing and marginally larger housing loops.

thashicray
12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I use Shimano cables and housing for my 7900 build. I know there are Shimano cables/housing that are coated with PTFE but I went to my LBS and bought the bulk stuff (non-PTFE) that comes in spools and asked them to cut the appropriate amount of housing I'd need. Has worked fine ever since and equally as smooth and reliable...cheaper too.

GregL
12-04-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm a fan of the Jagwire Racer (http://jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/v/Racer_Cable_Kits)cable kits. They work as well as Dura Ace, have better ferrules (alloy vs. plastic) and are available in many colors.

- Greg

slidey
12-04-2012, 04:48 PM
This is a useful tip, thanks!

A 'trick' I've learned, regardless of the housing used, is to use SRAM shift cables. They measure 1.1MM thick while other Shimano-compatible cables are 1.2MM.

I've used the Yokuzuna cabling 'system' but by using the SRAM shift cables and Shimano housing everything moves just as slick and a large amount of money is saved.

nervousderbes
12-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Yokozuna Reaction on my DA7900 works pretty well. But I've never used the 7900 cables for comparison.

UberBike
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
My preferred setup is Yokozuna inner with gore low friction sealed or pro series housing.

The Yoko shift housing is great but the brake housing is a bit stiff and wide due to their extra reinforcement, this can effect the alignment and action of your brakes depending on how long or tight the cable runs are .

The gore low friction and pro housing leave a liner that protects any regularly exposed cable after the cable stops.
Nokon and Alligator do this as well but look a lot nicer.

I tend to stay away from the coated inner cables.
They often gum up the system as the coating wears or becomes damaged.

oldpotatoe
12-05-2012, 07:40 AM
I've been a big fan of QBP's 'slick' cables. The ones that're milled on the outside to smooth out the outer edge of the strands of cable.

Fairly inexpensive and do a good job. Win-win in my book.

M

Yep, Jagwire slick, BUT use 5mm der housing for shimano, sram and 2008 and older Campagnolo. Brass ferrules also. Makes for good working, long lasting shift performance..and not expen$sive.

rccardr
12-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I also like the Jagwire Racer kits but have had the same results using bulk Jagwire L3 housing and standard Shimano stainless cables.

gdw
12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
"use 5mm der housing for shimano, sram and 2008 and older Campagnolo. Brass ferrules also"

+1 The 4mm stuff sucks and so do the plastic ferrules.

rjfr
12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the recommendations.

My frames are on the long side, so should be no problem with tight radius bends. Sounds like the Jagwire with QBP slick cable will work well. I'll have a look at the Yokuzuna to see how it looks with the frame.

559Rando
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM
more than the brand, most of my cabling ills have been remedied with smoother cable routing and marginally larger housing loops.

Ditto

Yep, Jagwire slick, BUT use 5mm der housing for shimano, sram and 2008 and older Campagnolo. Brass ferrules also. Makes for good working, long lasting shift performance..and not expen$sive.

I'd take OP's advice on this. The man knows!

bikinchris
12-05-2012, 04:36 PM
There are numerous threads discussing the merits of Nokon, i-links, Yokazona (sp), Jagwire and other cables, however the results seem to be inconclusive.

Have you found a cable and cover or combination which is superior to Shimano Dura Ace for brakes or shifters? This is for a road bike.

I've tried Nokon which works well, and looks nice for brakes, but gives less than positive results for shifting. I have been very happy with Dura Ace cables, just trying to determine if there is a better option.

Thanks.

I just sold my wife's Serotta with 16 year old Gore Ride on sealed cables and housings. Slick, sealed and made the bike shift better and the effort to shift was lower.
I used to have three sets of short cables on my counter. They were about 8 inches long and just had a crimped shift cable running through a housing 6 inches long. I had a old style non lined shift cable, a lined housing and a gore sealed one. It sold many shift cables even at the high price of Gore. I was very dissapointed when Gore stopped selling thwm for a while. Glad to see them back. Best quality I have seen.

shovelhd
12-06-2012, 07:33 AM
"use 5mm der housing for shimano, sram and 2008 and older Campagnolo. Brass ferrules also"

+1 The 4mm stuff sucks and so do the plastic ferrules.

Just for S&G's I swapped out the 4mm Yokozuna rear derailleur loop housing for a piece of the 5mm housing and metal ferrules. Damned if it didn't shift better. I left the 4mm under the bar tape.

Thanks!

oldpotatoe
12-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Ditto

I'd take OP's advice on this. The man knows!

Thanks and BTW-I use Jagwire for Campagnolo der cables on everything. Campagnolo, shimano and sram. 1.1mm for the der. That and 5mm housing(unless it's Campag 2009+-drat) and crisp, consistant shifting. Metal ferrules, not the crappy plastic ones..

rjfr
12-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Oldpotatoe, when using the Jagwire 5mm, are you using the same size cable for both brake and shift, or a smaller wire for der?