PDA

View Full Version : Perception: The Accidental Commuter.

giverdada
12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Apparently, the answer is khakis.

Every week day, I have the good fortune of riding my bike to and from my place of work, each trip taking about half an hour. Starting about two weeks ago, I noticed and abrupt change in the treatment I received from all those with whom I interacted for the 30 minutes, namely dog-walkers and drivers. (Because I generally like to avoid traffic, I have composed a route that keeps me on multi-use paths for about 80% of the time.) I started this wonderful commute in full kit and some baggy shorts over top to avoid awkward stares upon arrival at work. As the weather got cooler, I donned tights and booties and full gloves and kept the baggies. I even picked up some excessively bright jackets for higher visibility. Everything was normal.

One day, I wore some khaki riding pants made by a popular English brand known for its worship of pain and glory in road cycling. Although cycling-specific, these pants do not look like they are built for life on the bike, and all of a sudden, everything changed. Drivers in cars started slowing down and gesturing for me to take the lane or make the crossing. Dog walkers smiled and responded when I said good morning the same way I had been since starting the commute in September. I got the wave, and it wasn't just one finger.

This entire change puzzled me for some time, and then I figured it all out: if the time on the bike looks intentional, that is somehow offensive to the general population, but, if it looks like the whole thing is an accident (my car broke down, I'm broke, etc.), traffic is much more 'understanding', and takes little to no offence toward the two-wheeling weirdo. So it seems it's about intent. On a bike on purpose? Watch out. Have to be on a bike as a result of unfortunate circumstances? It's okay, bud, take the lane...

Anyone else here notice things like that? Oh, and one thing that I found extra interesting: none of the rest of my entire kit was changed; only the pants. Still on a big-logo FOCUS cross bike, still in bright yellow jacket, still wearing a helmet and a massive Chrome backpack and clipless shoes, just not wearing tights or shorts...

vav
12-03-2012, 06:27 PM
you. Khakis or not, Boston drivers are still a bunch of A$$3s :mad:

rice rocket
12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Hmm, great post, great idea.

I've been wondering how lessen the stares as I walk in to work in a full kit.

Thanks for the idea!

rice rocket
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
These just came up in another thread...

http://www.podiumshoecovers.com/store/shoe-covers/work-boot-shoe-covers

http://www.podiumshoecovers.com/sites/default/files/styles/uc_product_full/public/products/images/IMG_2942_Web.jpg

Ha!

andywills
01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
I once glued a pair of devil horns from a halloween costume to an old helmet and wore it on my commute. Instantly everyone was nicer. Guess they were too busy laughing to cut me off.

monkeybanana86
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
These just came up in another thread...

http://www.podiumshoecovers.com/store/shoe-covers/work-boot-shoe-covers

http://www.podiumshoecovers.com/sites/default/files/styles/uc_product_full/public/products/images/IMG_2942_Web.jpg

Ha!

How funny!

That guy needs these
http://gearjunkie.com/images/6167.jpg

thwart
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Dress like the tribe and they'll embrace you.

Don't, and...

monkeybanana86
01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
That's cool that people are treating you nicely. Where I live it doesn't make a difference

gregj
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
I commute year round in regular khakis/chinos, and I know what you mean. I don't think that it's necessarily an issue of intent. That you're riding because you have no choice. I think it's more that people recognize you as a normal person, someone they might work with or encounter in their day, if you're not in your full lycra cycling kit. Because most people don't have a kit, and most don't know anyone who does. So it seems foreign. Also, I would guess that many people feel antagonistic towards kitted-out roadies, while they don't toward commuters in regular clothes.

It's probably also because, at least around here, the number of bike commuters have increased significantly in the last 5 years, and many, perhaps a majority, of them are now women. One byproduct of the fixie hipster scene is a bunch of women in their 20s and 30s riding old 10 speeds (some of them SS) around town. Although yesterday, I saw a gal with a perfectly fine 70s or 80s Nishiki with the stem installed pointing backwards. I almost went up to her to ask to ride it, but didn't.

Greg

cachagua
01-10-2013, 03:37 PM
That's cool that people are treating you nicely. Where I live it doesn't make a difference

You mean, they treat you well no matter what, or... otherwise?

giverdada
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
so great to hear from you guys.

i like those hipster ladies, as they are quintessentially what bikesnob has termed, 'beautiful godzillas' - carving paths of destruction and mayhem as they ride along, oblivious and gorgeous and helmetless, the wrong way on a one way. sometimes i feel like people who look like they have no idea what they are doing will have nothing happen to them, while those of us who know exactly what we are doing will have bad things aimed right at us. kinda like people hitting you on the head as soon as you don a helmet...:confused:

anyway, i rode in in skinny levi's commuter jeans today, didn't get any room anywhere, and it seems all is back to the usual. except that now there are snowbanks and even less room on the road and i'm on a very inefficient mountain bike beater whose ride characteristics have further dampened my riding style. can't wait to get back on the path though; dog-walkers are nothing compared to dog-walkers in SUV's on their cell phones...