PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Paris-Roubaix vs. Grand Bois

don compton
12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Have any of you tried both the Challenge Paris-Roubaix( 700x29 ) and the Grand Bois 700x29. I have used the Grand Bois tire and have been very happy with them. Their pricing is comparable and was wondering whether the Challenge was worth a try.

gone
12-02-2012, 09:21 PM
I've got both although the Gran Bois are 32mm so we're not talking apples to apples. They both have a very nice ride. Obviously the 32mm GB's are plusher given the additional width. About the only thing I can say objectively about both of them is that the PR's seem to be more flat prone both from my own experience and from others that've used them.

DRietz
12-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I've got both although the Gran Bois are 32mm so we're not talking apples to apples. They both have a very nice ride. Obviously the 32mm GB's are plusher given the additional width. About the only thing I can say objectively about both of them is that the PR's seem to be more flat prone both from my own experience and from others that've used them.

Grand Bois come in a 700x30 and a 700x28 as I recall.

don compton
12-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have had good luck with the Grand Bois tires concerning flats. I've had flats but nothing but goatheads. I should probably stick with what works.
Thanks, Don

gone
12-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Grand Bois come in a 700x30 and a 700x28 as I recall.

They come in 23 through 32mm

Col de la Madeleine 23mm
Cerf blue label 26mm
Cerf green label 29mm
Cypres 32mm

I've used the Grand Bois Cypres and have had good luck with flats on them, less so with the PR's. I've not used any of the other Grand Bois.

palincss
12-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Have any of you tried both the Challenge Paris-Roubaix( 700x29 ) and the Grand Bois 700x29. I have used the Grand Bois tire and have been very happy with them. Their pricing is comparable and was wondering whether the Challenge was worth a try.

I've never tried a Grand Bois 700x29. I have used the Cypres, marked 700x30, actual size probably a little over 32mm, for over 14,000 miles, and now also have around 900 miles experience with the Parigi-Roubaix, although not on the same bike.

The Parigi-Roubaix is a wonderful tire and it is a horrible tire. My average for flats with the Grand Bois Cypres is maybe one every 1500 miles; on the identical roads, I've averaged one flat every 300 miles with the Parigi-Roubaix. However, it's ride is simply sublime, magnificent on cracked and alligatored pavement. And it's fast. I haven't done a back-to-back comparison, especially since they're not on the same bike, but I'm confident the Parigi-Roubaix is a faster tire.

They should be fast. They're clearly an "event tire," with extremely thin tread -- much thinner than the Grand Bois Cypres -- and correspondingly short service life.

The Parigi-Roubaix have the reputation of being incredibly difficult to mount, but I haven't found that to be true. I find them no more difficult to mount than the
Grand Bois Cypres. I can even get them off without tools.