PDA

View Full Version : 10 speed to 9 speed re-fit Shimano

Smiley
10-22-2005, 01:29 PM
I have a good source that tells me all I need to make a 10 speed conversion from 9 speed DurAce to 10 speed DurAce is the Brifters , cassette and chain. Anybody make this switch with these minimal parts. Curious to know if the cranks were required, I kind of like my ratty old 9 speed cranks and I like the reduction in conversion price to not have to change out my old cranks. Thanks for your feed back.

CalfeeFly
10-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I am 99.99 percent sure the cranks are fine as long as they are a double. The new cranks work with 9 speed so the converse should be truth as well.

I'd suspect that you do need derailleurs however. I'd check into that.

Personally before I worried about one more click if you live where there are big hills I'd buy the new brakes. They are supposed to be awesome.

Take care.

pdxmech13
10-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Smiley-
I have made this conversion with your methods twice for customers and it has worked. I will contest that compared to a full 10spd d-train its a little different but still works great. Shimano goes through alot to make all the components work as a "group". If you do this plan on eventually buying the crankset. It has two incredible advantages, better shiftin from ramp and pin placement and a stiffer platform for everything else. it really does work great. :banana:

SoCalSteve
10-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Here is what you need:

10 speed chain
7800 rear der
7800 shifters
10 speed cassette whether its 7800 or 6600, no matter.

I've done it.

Good luck!

Steve

dirtdigger88
10-22-2005, 02:19 PM
yup-

the kirk will be 10 speed all around cept' the cranks (9speed there) and of course the 10 speed downtube shifters

Jason

Dude
10-22-2005, 07:48 PM
If you have the 7800 rear der. already you do not need to get a new one. The 7800 was designed to be 10 and 9 compatible. I have a bike set up with all D/A 9 and the 7800 rear der. and it works flawlessly.

Just the shifters, chain cassette.

Marcusaurelius
08-09-2006, 01:27 PM
I have a good source that tells me all I need to make a 10 speed conversion from 9 speed DurAce to 10 speed DurAce is the Brifters , cassette and chain. Anybody make this switch with these minimal parts. Curious to know if the cranks were required, I kind of like my ratty old 9 speed cranks and I like the reduction in conversion price to not have to change out my old cranks. Thanks for your feed back.

For me the best part about the new ten speed dura ace crank is the crankset bottom bracket combination. If I was upgrading, I would switch the crankset first and switch the brakes last--or not at all.

Too Tall
08-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Um, I'll take the STI off your hands. Not done with 9spd....but I SUPPORT YOUR ENTHUSIASM :)

Jeremy
08-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Smiley,

As long as your 7700 rear der is still in good shape, you do not need to replace it. The throw of the rear der has not changed. Many people think that the pulleys and cage are narrower on the 10sp der, they are not. The shorter distance that the rear der travels is because the 10sp shifter pulls slightly less cable per click than the 9sp. Also, the 9sp chain rings will work fine. If you need to you can replace them with 10sp rings later on.

Jeremy

coylifut
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM

to confirm - all you need is shifters, cassette and chain. the front crank will work fine. when it becomes time to replace rings you'll find the shifting to be slightly better 10 sp rings because the inner ring sits ever so slightly closer to the big ring to accomodate the slightly narrower chain. You don't need new mechs

palincss
08-09-2006, 06:21 PM
I am 99.99 percent sure the cranks are fine as long as they are a double. The new cranks work with 9 speed so the converse should be truth as well.

I'd suspect that you do need derailleurs however. I'd check into that.

Personally before I worried about one more click if you live where there are big hills I'd buy the new brakes. They are supposed to be awesome.

Take care.

Cranksets and chain rings made for 7/8 speed cassettes work just fine with 9-speed chains and cassettes. Is the difference in width between 9 and 10 more than between 7 and 9? I doubt it.

As for needing derailleurs, why? The outside width of the cassette is the same for 9 and 10, is it not? I have a couple of 8-speed rear derailleurs working just wonderfully with 9-speed chains and cassettes.

Finally, regarding those new brakes: are any forum members with "older" brakes (i.e., that came with 9-speed setups, not from back in the 50s, 60s or 70s) who feel their braking in mountainous country is somehow inadequate? I think if you feel the need to actually purchase something to enhance braking, let it be a set of Kool Stop Salmon shoes.

AgilisMerlin
08-09-2006, 07:52 PM
sti dura ace 10, 10 ultegra cassette, 10 spd dura ace chain, from 9 spd dura ace gruppo.

work perfectly.........don't postpone joy :banana:

Agilis of Merlin

Ken Lehner
08-11-2006, 07:46 AM
Here is what you need:

10 speed chain
7800 rear der
7800 shifters
10 speed cassette whether its 7800 or 6600, no matter.

I've done it.

Good luck!

Steve

Sheldon Brown (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html) says differently. In particular, "All Shimano rear derailers (except for pre-1997 Dura-Ace) index the same, and are equally compatible with different shifters that match the cassette to be used."

The link above is for all things Dura Ace.