PDA

View Full Version : First thread/post-bulding up a training bike.

Ewarrior
12-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Hello,

Right now I have a Lemond Zurich frame in 55cm that is possibly too big for me, I am 5 foot 7 and have been told numerous times that a 52-53 would be a better fit. And have joined the site since PhCollard (I think that is correct) was looking for one. However, It is my only bike and so if I sell it to him, I would hope to get a replacement. As I am 17 and live in Seattle, I was wondering for a bike to train on and get used everyday, should I bother getting a disc cyclocross/road bike or should I just stick to a non disc bike. I can possibly get a ultegra 6600 groupset and ultegra 6600 hubbed wheels for roughly 400 dollars. Also available is a chris king front wheel available for 160 dollars, is there any reason I should need it? I just yesterday completed my first group bike ride with the recycled cycles team and completed my first half ironman in grand coulee for my 17th birthday on a single speed. And I am seriously considering training hard and efficiently to possibly race on a team. I am looking to spend my money on a bike that will last, I have been looking at reynolds 853 frames both disc and non disc and and wondering which I should get. Should I spend the extra money to go disc?

Thank you for your time,

Warren

DRietz
12-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Hello,

Right now I have a Lemond Zurich frame in 55cm that is possibly too big for me, I am 5 foot 7 and have been told numerous times that a 52-53 would be a better fit. And have joined the site since PhCollard (I think that is correct) was looking for one. However, It is my only bike and so if I sell it to him, I would hope to get a replacement. As I am 17 and live in Seattle, I was wondering for a bike to train on and get used everyday, should I bother getting a disc cyclocross/road bike or should I just stick to a non disc bike. I can possibly get a ultegra 6600 groupset and ultegra 6600 hubbed wheels for roughly 400 dollars. Also available is a chris king front wheel available for 160 dollars, is there any reason I should need it? I just yesterday completed my first group bike ride with the recycled cycles team and completed my first half ironman in grand coulee for my 17th birthday on a single speed. And I am seriously considering training hard and efficiently to possibly race on a team. I am looking to spend my money on a bike that will last, I have been looking at reynolds 853 frames both disc and non disc and and wondering which I should get. Should I spend the extra money to go disc?

Thank you for your time,

Warren

Do you want to ride off road? i.e. do you foresee yourself racing cyclocross? From the sounds of it you're riding predominantly road, so I recommend steering clear of road disc brakes just because at this point they're rather underdeveloped and there's not much tangible benefit.

vav
12-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Hello Warren, welcome.

A 6600 group including wheels for 400 is a very good deal IMO. You should grab that and look here, CL or Ebay for a smaller frame to hang the group. Its a buyer's market and Winter is always better than Spring/Summer to look for a bike.

On a different note:
Half Ironman on a SS? Wow. What gear where you running? How flat was the course?

Good luck with your search.

Ewarrior
12-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Thank you for your responses, It does seem better to just go non disk, and use to ultegra 6600 groupset, should I bother trying to get a better wheelset than the ultegra 6600 hub to cxp 2 for 130 dollars? For instance get that chris king front wheel for 160 dollars? Any wait for a rear to pop up?

Anyways as for the Ironman details:

The results, got 53th overall, 2 in age group
http://www.accustatsportstiming.com/results3.asp?ei=146

The Course: http://www.mapmytri.com/routes/fullscreen/43221048/
after first 5 miles, a 3 mile 5-7% grade climb, after about 40 miles a 6 mile 6-10% descent.

Did it on a bike: A 2011 SE Draft weighing about 25 pounds and geared 52X16.

It was a blast

thegunner
12-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Thank you for your responses, It does seem better to just go non disk, and use to ultegra 6600 groupset, should I bother trying to get a better wheelset than the ultegra 6600 hub to cxp 2 for 130 dollars? For instance get that chris king front wheel for 160 dollars? Any wait for a rear to pop up?

Anyways as for the Ironman details:

The results, got 53th overall, 2 in age group
http://www.accustatsportstiming.com/results3.asp?ei=146

The Course: http://www.mapmytri.com/routes/fullscreen/43221048/
after first 5 miles, a 3 mile 5-7% grade climb, after about 40 miles a 6 mile 6-10% descent.

Did it on a bike: A 2011 SE Draft weighing about 25 pounds and geared 52X16.

It was a blast

imo -- get the cxp's on ultegra hubs -- those are killer bombproof hubs that will last you forever. the chris king front wheel won't make that much of a difference at that huge a cost.

Ewarrior
12-02-2012, 05:52 PM
what does imo mean,

Second, the gunner, I wanted to help you out earlier in you looking for a bike after you sold you caad 10 since there was the bikes you wanted and your size in my area at the time, however I did not have a way to contact you. Since I joined now i can help you guys if I see something.

dave thompson
12-02-2012, 06:09 PM
what does imo mean,

Second, the gunner, I wanted to help you out earlier in you looking for a bike after you sold you caad 10 since there was the bikes you wanted and your size in my area at the time, however I did not have a way to contact you. Since I joined now i can help you guys if I see something.

In my opinion.

Ewarrior
12-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you Dave

thegunner
12-02-2012, 06:25 PM
what does imo mean,

ah thanks man, i actually went back to a caad9 :)

trying to do a build on the cheap -- bought some crashed chorus levers, crashed cranks, etc. and just sanding refinishing everything. the build is half the fun

Ewarrior
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Well, I don't remember exactly all the numbers but I thought that your budget you were looking at was a 1000 and there was quite a few complete bikes for I think 4-500, anyways have fun. I am also kinda building on the cheap despite having the ability to spend, I am still looking for the most bang for my buck.

Hopefully I can help others as well.

Ewarrior
12-03-2012, 11:42 PM
I have the ultegra 6600 shifters and derailers secured with the ultegra 6600 wheels and rest of of the group coming shortly (pretty much secured also), all in excellent/low mile condition for $375. Picked up fenders the other day and my zurich frame is ready to be built geared. First Road bike built by me for me, Check.

Hopefully will be ready for my second group ride this saturday!