PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Lizard Skin Duo Tape Long Enough?

jberenyi
12-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I just bought some of this bar tape in Duo and I have 44cm Deda bars to wrap but I can never get the transition to the shifter. Have you guys been able to? And yes I did try stretching a little bit:eek: with minimal overlap. I always get to about 1 inche before the shifter transition :(

jberenyi
12-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Tried one more time and got it to be only one tape width wide with black below the shifter. Looks good but just be warned you may have to try a few times to get it just right with the Duo tape option. FYI with black and white its the white portion that is shorter. They are not equal in color lengths.

1/2 Wheeler
12-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Took me a few minutes to even know W-T-F you were talking about.

Never tried it. Do you have a final pic?

cekte
12-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I've had great experiences with Lizard Skins tape in the past. Though I've yet to try the Dual color. On their website they claim its the same length as the regular DSP bartape though - 82 inches.

dave thompson
12-02-2012, 01:35 PM
In the pic it looks like you have way too much overlap on the drops to make the transition at the shifter. If you like to have cush on the drops, try using some sort of padding to increase the thickness there rather than overlapping the tape so much.

rnhood
12-02-2012, 02:08 PM
I've had great experiences with Lizard Skins tape in the past. Though I've yet to try the Dual color. On their website they claim its the same length as the regular DSP bartape though - 82 inches.

Same here. Haven't tried the Duo but in general, Lizard Skin is great bar tape by any measure.

fjaws
12-02-2012, 05:00 PM
in the pic it looks like you have way too much overlap on the drops to make the transition at the shifter. If you like to have cush on the drops, try using some sort of padding to increase the thickness there rather than overlapping the tape so much.

#1 ;)

jberenyi
12-02-2012, 05:41 PM
I didn't think the overlaps were that close. I have the sticky band next to the previous wrap. Anyhow, here are the pics. I would give it another shot but screw it...I'll stick to what I have.

rustychisel
12-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Better in your second try, but see how the tape is ridged and hollowed? Too much overlap. Try for overlap of no more than a third of the width of the tape.

jberenyi
12-02-2012, 07:11 PM
I measured the tape width with calipers. The tape measures 1.175" and the center sticky measures .225". Lining up the sticky next to the tape edge on the last wrap has an overlap of .475" which is .084" more overlap than needed to achieve the "1/3" goal. So next time I will step out the sticky part an additional .084" and hopefully that amount would be sufficient enough to get the right wrap length. Thank you all for proving to me that I was heavy on the wrap...by .084" :)

thashicray
12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
It looks like there's more black tape than white. When stretched out are the two color halves equal...41 inches black and 41 inches white?

thashicray
12-02-2012, 07:23 PM
It looks like there's more black tape than white. When stretched out are the two color halves equal...41 inches black and 41 inches white?

***scratch that, just saw on the website the color transition is at 33 inches***

jberenyi
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Well I couldn't take it anymore walking past the bike. I did her all over again focusing on the extra .080" gap and it worked. BTW, before I originally wrapped the bars I checked and the white is shorter.

christian
12-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Nicely done. May have to use that on my new red/white/black Allez.

sc53
12-03-2012, 09:35 AM
Great job! But even your first attempt looked good to me.

ultraman6970
12-03-2012, 01:05 PM
My lizard is super long!

cachagua
12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
That does look nice. (All the rest of your bike does too!)

But -- you were able to take the tape off and use it a second and third time? That must be some pretty robust tape. Usually the Cinelli or cheap-imitation stuff I use gets torn to pieces in the process of removing it. I'd better have a look at their website, I don't think my local shop carries it.

Sorta too bad they don't offer another option with longer white and shorter black, that could look cool too... mmm, with white hoods, tasty.