PDA

View Full Version : Forum or agin'm. At least he rides.

Too Tall
02-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Kerry is a bike rider (http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article_print.php?id=3655)

Dude
02-26-2004, 12:46 PM
One for Mass. and the other for DC. They are pretty large frames too - I think a 62 or something like that. I actually spoke to him a couple times on the phone when he called in for Ben.

zap
02-26-2004, 12:48 PM
If elected, can you image the Secret Service riding with him on another century plus charity ride. Watch out for a bid from the Secret Service for road bikes.

Note. This is not an endorsement for any party or person.

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2004, 12:48 PM
. . . does he ride? A Serotta, by any chance? :confused:

BBDave

PanTerra
02-26-2004, 12:52 PM
I have often wondered, if we got a cycling president, how he would ride. Would he be in some paceline or echelon of secret service agents, like when other presidents jogged? Would he be wearing lycra shorts and a presidential jersey or ride like a "Fred?"

JohnS
02-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Just think of the line for new bikes if the SS (Secret Service) orders Serottas. People have been complaining enough about team bikes jumping to the head of the line! :(

SBash
02-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Maybe he should donate one of his bikes to Bush so he will have something to do in Texas next year. Better yet a tandem and trailer for Cheney and Halliburton.

SB

Social Security cuts! What a bunch of BS!
Going for a ride before i really get pissd off!

PanTerra
02-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Better make it 2 bikes. Bush could use an mtb on his ranch and have a road bike for DC.

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2004, 01:03 PM
. . . the training wheels for Dub'ya!

BBDave ;)

SBash
02-26-2004, 01:04 PM
I take that back! Doubt if he could ride a bike after watching him on Meet the Press. He has a lot of trouble without the strings attached.

SBash
02-26-2004, 01:08 PM
BBDave

Thats funny! Could you imagine training wheels and chewing gum?

SB

terry
02-26-2004, 01:20 PM
true story-one day, i think 2 summers ago,i happened to be in belmont wheelworks and there was kerry-talking to doug re serotta's. doug was giving him his best speil on a lengend v. ottrott and standing around were 2 other guys-all three were big, dressed in suits and intent on what doug was saying. don't know what he ended up with, i didn't hang around.

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2004, 01:22 PM
. . . but I had to say SOMETHING after recalling that story a while ago about him doing a face plant off the Segway Scooter! Hilarious photos!

BBDave:beer:

Ginger
02-26-2004, 01:33 PM
I think Bush already has a bike...

note the training wheels

davids
02-26-2004, 02:29 PM
A friend of mine was part of the charity ride mentioned in the article - It was a cold, rainy day in May, and it poured the whole time. Several days after the ride, my friend realized that his (nearly new) LeMond's weephole were plugged. He took off the seatpost and poured a good cup of brown water out of the frame... Wheelworks dried and treated the frame and (2 years later) it seems fine.

I've got a few Kerry sightings of my own. One (pre-Heinz) at a stereo repair shop in Allston - The senator was dropping off his own VCR for repair, all by his lonesome. And one (with Heinz) in front of their Louisburg Square house on Halloween. They were giving out some good candy! Last time I took my daughter trick-or-treating there, the candy was being distributed by some aides.

I didn't know he was such an avid cyclist, though. Another voting bloc to conquer!

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2004, 02:41 PM
I knew I had it here somewhere!

Here's the "before"

BBDave

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2004, 02:42 PM
And here is the "after!" :banana:

BBDave :p

PanTerra
02-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Should have used duracell.

oracle
02-26-2004, 02:59 PM
i thought that the segway was supposed to have been idiot-proofed? maybe W. fell off the wagon on that day.

oracle

SBash
02-26-2004, 03:09 PM
No i think he was trying to chew gum or possibly thinking why he is president. Lets see for corporate America, no i mean the people.

PanTerra
02-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Actually, the battery died. Just goes to show you that the Segway is not so fool proof. Waiting for the first lawsuit from someone getting injured on one because it ran out of juice.

JohnS
02-26-2004, 03:30 PM
This just proves that Ben is the consummate capitalist. He'll sell to anyone with enough money! :)

Ginger
02-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Yeah...

He sells bikes to us doesn't he...

JohnS
02-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Yes, but he always uses an intermediary (LBS) so that he doesn't have to associate with us. :D

Ginger
02-26-2004, 04:01 PM
I'd say that is a wise choice.

:)

JohnS
02-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I've got a plan for you. You become a campaign worker and donate your life savings to Kerry. Then you make him promise to tell Ben he wants a Ottrott DKS when he's prez. How can Ben turn him down? Then you put in your deposit on the limited production Kerry Replica.

Bruce K
02-26-2004, 04:34 PM
living in MA and having a more conservative leaning than said cyclist, and

having had one or two "Don't you know who I am?" type encounters with said cyclist,

I'm going to stay away from this one as much as possible.

Kevin
02-26-2004, 04:58 PM
I rode with Kerry in the referenced ride two years ago. I still have not warmed up or dried out. My brain was so numb from the cold and the rain that I don't remember what he was riding. However, I do remember that he was a very nice guy with a good sense of humor about the whole thing. I think he dropped the bodyguards at the 60 mile mark.

Kevin

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2004, 06:01 PM
<<Yes, but he always uses an intermediary (LBS) so that he doesn't have to associate with us.>>

I don’t know about you, John, but he sure associated with the REST of us at Owner’s Weekend. Have you checked your breath lately? :D

BBDave

JohnS
02-26-2004, 06:22 PM
BruceK- Go for it!!!
BBDave- I'll think of a witty reply at get back to you! :)

Bruce K
02-26-2004, 08:12 PM
John;

While I appreciate your encouragement, I have too many friends here (I think/hope) on the forum to get into a political discussion at this time.

A little Serotta labeled alcoholic lubrication at Open House and we might have a different outcome.

In the meantime the Boston weather is heating up, literally (upper 40's to low 50's on Sunday), and I am getting stoked to get off the trainer for a couple of rides and put some miles in this weekend.

:banana: :banana:

BK

BumbleBeeDave
02-26-2004, 08:16 PM
You are correct . . . you DO have many friends here!

And you are a wise man to keep politics out of here--wiser, I think, than the rest of us who have been dabbling.

Now where’s that beer? I want to get you started on the pre-owner’s weekend lubrication so come June we can get you to tell us the juicy parts about your Kerry run-ins TWICE! :D

BBDave :beer:

Climb01742
02-27-2004, 09:09 AM
along with every east coast cyclist, this weekend's weather forecast has me SOOOOOOOOO psyched.

i'm not as smart as bruce k, so i will tread lightly into a political comment: in yesterday's new york times was an article on former senator max cleland from georgia campaigning for sen. kerry. max cleland last two legs and an arm in vietnam. he lost his senate seat when republicans accused him of being "soft" on national security. how a man who lost what he lost for his country can be called "soft" is beyond me. at the end of the article i was ready to nominate max for vice president. we've had a president in a wheelchair. i would like to think the country is ready for a v.p. in one, too. go max!

CIII_bill
02-27-2004, 10:27 AM
Last night at Ben's talk at Wheatridge Cyclery in Denver, Ben said Kerry rides Serottas.

Bill

Bruce K
02-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Climb;

Maybe you didn't notice the change in my signature tag, but I am SO ready to be on the road and off the trainer this weekend.

It's almost really road bike weather, Spring Training has started, the Red Sox are in first place (but so is everybosy else), so I guess all is right with the world.

BK