PDA

View Full Version : CX Tubulars and valve bumps

tuscanyswe
12-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Havent had any issues with this before alltho my experience with cx tubulars are limited.

I have 2 new challenge grifos that im about to glew onto the rims but after riding them around the block (unglued) a bump a few centimeters from the valve stem appears. I can feel it with each revelation of the rearwheel. So i take it off and mount my spare (also new grifo) and everything looks good. I ride it around the block and the same (more or less) bulge appear. Still feel it for each rev of the wheel, very annoying.

Tires are prestretched and were mounted with valve first and then pushing down as i mount the tire. Not really hard to mount it, goes on smoothly. The front tire do not have this issue as far as i can tell.

Is there a chance this issue will go away if i glue the tires? Any experience with something similar?

What is causing it? poor tires? What to do?

Thanks!
Björn

oldpotatoe
12-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Havent had any issues with this before alltho my experience with cx tubulars are limited.

I have 2 new challenge grifos that im about to glew onto the rims but after riding them around the block (unglued) a bump a few centimeters from the valve stem appears. I can feel it with each revelation of the rearwheel. So i take it off and mount my spare (also new grifo) and everything looks good. I ride it around the block and the same (more or less) bulge appear. Still feel it for each rev of the wheel, very annoying.

Tires are prestretched and were mounted with valve first and then pushing down as i mount the tire. Not really hard to mount it, goes on smoothly. The front tire do not have this issue as far as i can tell.

Is there a chance this issue will go away if i glue the tires? Any experience with something similar?

What is causing it? poor tires? What to do?

Thanks!
Björn

Glue it, what holds it onto the rim all around. It is not a good idea to 'test' tires w/o them being glued on..

tuscanyswe
12-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Glue it, what holds it onto the rim all around. It is not a good idea to 'test' tires w/o them being glued on..

I was actually testing / setting up the cantis when i noticed. Wanted to have everything rdy and then glue the wheels. We had some sudden snow here that caused abit of a rush to get this project out on the road.

So they will be fine once glued?

Thanks!
B

oldpotatoe
12-01-2012, 07:46 AM
I was actually testing / setting up the cantis when i noticed. Wanted to have everything rdy and then glue the wheels. We had some sudden snow here that caused abit of a rush to get this project out on the road.

So they will be fine once glued?

Thanks!
B

Probably. Riding a not glued on tire, it will move and squirm around.

tuscanyswe
12-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Cheers!

ill give it a go!