PDA

View Full Version : Proper pics to sell bikes

vav
11-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Folks, this is how you take pics of your stuff for sale: :eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-Nashbar-Tour-LP-steel-road-frameset-geared-single-speed-fixed-gear-56cm-/251192833622?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item3a7c427656

nighthawk
11-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Yikes. That ain't right!

Cat3roadracer
11-30-2012, 09:13 PM
"Mouse over image to zoom"

Interesting marketing.

BumbleBeeDave
11-30-2012, 09:13 PM
. . . he's talking about the bike?

"Frame is in good overall condition with a few scratches and chips in the paint."

:rolleyes:

BBD

Cat3roadracer
11-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Dave, frame looks reasonable to me.

A touch up here and there?

This should end soon.

vav
11-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Who needs all this nonsense:

I’d like to share with you the tips I learned from BiciSport Magazine, about how to take pictures of your road bikes. Remember, those Italians are into style, so let’s follow their instructions and let’s make our forum gallery the best bike picture gallery out there!

Tips:

1) Choose a flat, even-colored background, such as brick, wood or stucco wall. An overcast sky is also very good. However, a blue sky may not be best if you have a bike of similar colors.

2) Make sure the wheels, bar tape and frame are visually clean.

3) Position the bike heading to the right, so that the drive train is visible, and make sure the handlebars are straight.

4) Do not lean your bike against any vertical object or near objects such as trees, light posts, etc. This would interrupt the flow of the picture. Use the handle bars to support the bike to the surface, or better yet, a small object that can be concealed behind the rear wheel such as a small metal rod. Old Mavic Zircal spokes have been useful for this.

5) Position of the bike parts:
A) Wheels:
a) If the wheels have a visible brand make sure it is positioned so it is not upside down and easy to read.

B) Tires:
a) The labels on the tires should be centered to the valve of the tubes and facing you.
b) The valves of the tubes should be at the 6:00 O’clock position.

C) Components:
a) The right crank arm should be at the 5:00 O’clock position so that the left arm is hidden behind the down tube.
b) Place the chain in the highest gear, for instance 53 x 11, so that your chain is stretched and the rear derailleur is extended and fully visible.
c) Saddle: unless you are DBRK*, or have a bike that was ridden by Fausto Coppi, go ahead and RAISE your saddle to make the bike look fast! Don’t forget to mark your original saddle position!

6) Take two or three pictures as follow:
a) One main, side picture to display the whole bike and drive train. When taking this picture, center the bike on the frame as much as possible, and try to fill the entire frame. However, make sure you do not cut any part of the bike from the picture! Watch for the wheels and the crank set.
b) Leave anything that does not belong to the bike itself out of the picture. We know you love your pets and/or kids, but others may not care.
c) Take another picture to show the front end of the bike
d) Take another picture to show the bike from behind, as if it was riding away from you.
e) Finally, take close ups pictures of parts of the bike you want to show us. A computer, specialty brakes, decals, etc.

Remember; use a flash, even when you (or your camera) do not think that you need to. The flash works really well in daylight by helping get rid of unwanted shadows and it also helps create sharp pictures and bring your bike colors to shine! Take a look at some of the pictures from Graham Watson, rarely will you see shadows in the faces or bodies of riders and the metal parts of the bike, such as the spokes, look shiny and bright…
If you have access to Photoshop or a similar program, use it to edit your picture and to correct or improve any flaws in your pictures.

If you have questions or if you wish further I help posting your pictures, please PM me here at the forum. For an example of this photo taking techniques, see this post!

Best,

Louis
11-30-2012, 09:39 PM
I wonder what type of guy tells his SO "Take your top off and hold this bike, I want to try to sell a $15 frame for $25."

And I wonder what type of gal says "OK!"

eippo1
11-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Perhaps they took some lessons from thefixthefixthefix.

Also, I take no responsibility for anybody that takes look at that site in front of their spouse or at work.

2LeftCleats
11-30-2012, 09:53 PM
The girl looks in pretty good shape. Maybe it's her bike

charliedid
11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Best ebay pic ever

jr59
11-30-2012, 11:06 PM
what bike?

And you always need something to hold up your bike.

I mean really, but I not sure of the kickstand term!

yakstone
12-01-2012, 07:45 AM
Nice Spectrum.

charliedid
12-01-2012, 07:47 AM
what bike?

And you always need something to hold up your bike.

I mean really, but I not sure of the kickstand term!

Yeah,

This doesn't even come close...

rwsaunders
12-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I wonder what type of guy tells his SO "Take your top off and hold this bike, I want to try to sell a $15 frame for $25."

And I wonder what type of gal says "OK!"

Perhaps that's a photo of the seller...

William
12-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Where can I get one of those bike stands????:confused:

;);)
William

mnoble485
12-01-2012, 08:20 AM
We can do better guys,
1. Stiff yet compliant.
2. Hmmm Just my size.
3. Never raced or crashed.
4. The usual dings one would expect on a model this old.

I won't get into headsets or dare I say chain suck.

Any I missed?

Mike

yakstone
12-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Where can I get one of those bike stands????

Any strip club - they are rather expensive though.

jr59
12-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Where can I get one of those bike stands????:confused:

;);)
William

Bourbon st!

Where can I get one of those bike stands????

Any strip club - they are rather expensive though.

ultraman6970
12-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Just ask the guy if the chick was included in the deal aswell!!!!

Anybody remember that travesty (or whatever that was) that was selling stuff in ebay and posting pictures like that???

Chris
12-01-2012, 09:42 AM
My buddy used to have his wife put on a bikini top and do that for his bike part sales. His seatposts seemed to sell the fastest. I like it. It's good to see people use some humor every now and then.

ultraman6970
12-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Cool wife, mine wouldn't do that in a million years hehehe

cnighbor1
12-01-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't see any bicycles FS

TopQuark
12-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I would use a DSLR instead of a cheap camera phone. ;)

dlui
12-02-2012, 05:03 AM
whatever it takes to move the inventory

ckamp
12-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Not a very feminine photo... Also, Not a good photo for eBay...

kestrel
12-02-2012, 05:51 PM

I’d like to share with you the tips I learned from BiciSport Magazine, about how to take pictures of your road bikes. Remember, those Italians are into style, so let’s follow their instructions and let’s make our forum gallery the best bike picture gallery out there!

Tips:

1) Choose a flat, even-colored background, such as brick, wood or stucco wall. An overcast sky is also very good. However, a blue sky may not be best if you have a bike of similar colors.

3) Position the bike heading to the right, so that the drive train is visible, and make sure the handlebars are straight.

4) Do not lean your bike against any vertical object or near objects such as trees, light posts, etc. This would interrupt the flow of the picture. Use the handle bars to support the bike to the surface, or better yet, a small object that can be concealed behind the rear wheel such as a small metal rod. Old Mavic Zircal spokes have been useful for this.

A) Wheels:
a) If the wheels have a visible brand make sure it is positioned so it is not upside down and easy to read.

B) Tires:
a) The labels on the tires should be centered to the valve of the tubes and facing you.

C) Components:
a) The right crank arm should be at the 5:00 O’clock position so that the left arm is hidden behind the down tube.
b) Place the chain in the highest gear, for instance 53 x 11, so that your chain is stretched and the rear derailleur is extended and fully visible.
c) Saddle: unless you are DBRK*, or have a bike that was ridden by Fausto Coppi, go ahead and RAISE your saddle to make the bike look fast! Don’t forget to mark your original saddle position!

a) One main, side picture to display the whole bike and drive train. When taking this picture, center the bike on the frame as much as possible, and try to fill the entire frame. However, make sure you do not cut any part of the bike from the picture! Watch for the wheels and the crank set.
b) Leave anything that does not belong to the bike itself out of the picture. We know you love your pets and/or kids, but others may not care.
d) Take another picture to show the bike from behind, as if it was riding away from you.
e) Finally, take close ups pictures of parts of the bike you want to show us. A computer, specialty brakes, decals, etc.

Remember; use a flash, even when you (or your camera) do not think that you need to. The flash works really well in daylight by helping get rid of unwanted shadows and it also helps create sharp pictures and bring your bike colors to shine! Take a look at some of the pictures from Graham Watson, rarely will you see shadows in the faces or bodies of riders and the metal parts of the bike, such as the spokes, look shiny and bright…
If you have access to Photoshop or a similar program, use it to edit your picture and to correct or improve any flaws in your pictures.

If you have questions or if you wish further I help posting your pictures, please PM me here at the forum. For an example of this photo taking techniques, see this post!

Best,

Really? REALLY?????

vav
12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I kid you not: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1288

Really? REALLY?????

Steelman
12-02-2012, 06:12 PM
How to sell camelback, and other sports stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/csc/shootingstarsurplus/m.html?LH_Complete=1&_ipg=25&_since=15&_sop=13&_rdc=1

sonoray
12-02-2012, 07:46 PM
How do these ebay pics differ from the Shake Weight?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shake-weight-dvd/1219753/ :eek:

ultraman6970
12-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Wow... !!!

Steve in SLO
12-02-2012, 09:11 PM

Tips:

1) Choose a flat, even-colored background, such as brick, wood or stucco wall, or a trim female in a pink bra An overcast sky is also very good. However, a blue sky may not be best if you have a bike of similar colors.

A) Wheels:

B) Tires:

C) Components:

b) Leave anything that does not belong to the bike itself out of the picture, except the trim female in the pink bra. We know you love your pets and/or kids, but others may not care.

Best,
:cool:

charliedid
12-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Ugh

Seems some people can't tell the difference between humor and poor taste.