PDA

View Full Version : Is this Ti or AL

Dromen
11-30-2012, 02:53 PM
A(my) mechanic was working on my Ottrott the other day and commented "You should replace the Serotta AL post clamp with the Thomson to go with your post." I said no way, the "S" is way too cool and its not AL, its Ti.

Was i blowing smoke or is it AL?

ultraman6970
11-30-2012, 02:57 PM
No idea but the pictures looks super cool, nice paint job.

cekte
11-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Guessing the post has recently been changed since the photos?
Looks to be alloy (though difficult to say), but personally I'd stick with that over the Thomson. Certainly much more unique.

jds108
11-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Serotta has made them in both, but that's Al.

cekte
11-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Ooops. Yes, I meant to say aluminum alloy. As titanium is typically an alloy these days as well.

Dromen
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
YEs post has been changed. Pic is carbon....dont like thinking about carbon under me butt. Thanks for comment on paint. Serotta not super creative but man do they nail the quality. This white looks like it has the depth of 100 layers of clearcoat.

As there any advantage to a Ti or Al clamp? Never thought about it but post has never moved either.

djg
11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
So . . . I'm really not sure why you'd replace the seatpost clamp unless there's a problem with the current one. The wrench wants to sell you a new clamp to match your new seatpost? Why? Are you also supposed to buy a new frame to match the Thomson seatpost? I mean, if you want to, sure, it's your dime and your call, but I'd be inclined to keep the one that came with the frame.

Louis
11-30-2012, 05:48 PM
The wrench wants to sell you a new clamp to match your new seatpost?

One of the reasons I can't even imagine having other folks work on my bikes.

I may be years behind on my frame build work, but at least I don't have to deal with stuff like that.

Dromen
11-30-2012, 05:50 PM
the wrench is a buddy. he likes to give me a hard time when i get all matchy and coordinated. I have a Thomson clamp if i wanted to switch. The point of the post was just my curiosity on material of the Serotta clamp.

palincss
11-30-2012, 06:12 PM
As there any advantage to a Ti or Al clamp? Never thought about it but post has never moved either.

I'm sure replacing the clamp you have now with one made of titanium would lighten your wallet considerably.

AgilisMerlin
11-30-2012, 06:15 PM
if it aint broke, don't fix it

Mike748
11-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Aluminum. Serotta clamps fit better than after market. Besides, wouldn't you rather match the $$$$ frame than the $ seatpost?

AgilisMerlin
11-30-2012, 09:56 PM
thomson carbon post ?

54ny77
11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
your mechanic is an idiot. run. really.

sorry.

nice bike!

jpw
12-01-2012, 04:31 AM
A(my) mechanic was working on my Ottrott the other day and commented "You should replace the Serotta AL post clamp with the Thomson to go with your post." I said no way, the "S" is way too cool and its not AL, its Ti.

Ottrott SE - very nice indeed. Ditch the carbon post. Keep the Serotta clamp.

fjaws
12-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Different strokes for different folks. Obviously the clamp matches the frame but your mechanic probably likes the look of all matching finishing kit. If you had a Cinelli stem with a Thomson post he'd probably recommend changing the stem too.

It's kinda like having a Chris King headset with Cane Creek Spacers and an FSA top cap.... Completely functional, but not to my taste.

Don't think it makes him a bad mechanic.....he simply has different taste and figures you're not tight on funds if you're replacing a perfectly good carbon post with a new Thomson.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM

Campagnolo post? Just a suggestion, you 'may' want to turn the clamp around 180 degrees. Opposite the split in the seat tube. keeps the 'hole' a little rounder when tightening, or use a Campag seat clamp. Seen more than a few Campag carbon posts 'crack' at the back.

Just a suggestion.

Ahneida Ride
12-01-2012, 10:18 AM
Serotta clamp will work better ...

Dromen
12-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Ok everyone, my mechanic is very good and very funny. He was joking about the clamp change. The pic is old from original build and the CF post has been changed to a Thomson for a long time.

Thread shift, Opotatoe brings up a point of discussion.....

During a time when i was having an insertion issue, the local mechanic suggested the same as op, turn the clamp around. When inquiring with Serotta they were insistent on keeping the bolt in the back. Not that i am having one issue with slippage, removal or insertion - yes AgilisMerlin, it aint broke so i aint fixin, but it begs the question, which is correct for optimum securing of the post and will one way or the other effect the ST/clamp over long term?

Dromen
12-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Mike, this sums up my feeling on the choice perfectly.

Aluminum. Serotta clamps fit better than after market. Besides, wouldn't you rather match the $$$$ frame than the $ seatpost?

oldpotatoe
12-02-2012, 08:18 AM
Ok everyone, my mechanic is very good and very funny. He was joking about the clamp change. The pic is old from original build and the CF post has been changed to a Thomson for a long time.

Thread shift, Opotatoe brings up a point of discussion.....

During a time when i was having an insertion issue, the local mechanic suggested the same as op, turn the clamp around. When inquiring with Serotta they were insistent on keeping the bolt in the back. Not that i am having one issue with slippage, removal or insertion - yes AgilisMerlin, it aint broke so i aint fixin, but it begs the question, which is correct for optimum securing of the post and will one way or the other effect the ST/clamp over long term?

First Campag carbon posts I saw went into a steel frame with a brazeon seat cluster. Seatpost cracked. A call to Campagnolo, NA about warranty. 'Type of seat clamp?' was the first question..'No warranty' was the first answer.

Then they recommended the seat clamp turnarund thing for the reasons I mentioned. Then Campagnolo came out with their own clamp.

I have been turning the clamps around for carbon posts since, and have seen no issues. May mean nuthin but it's what I do and suggest. PLUS no Campag carbon in traditional seat clusters..

Dromen
12-02-2012, 08:43 AM
OP do you have a recommendation for 'S' clamp, or like, position with my current thomson masterpiece post or is it a non-issue with a thin walled AL post? As long as I'm asking ?s, is there long term impact to ST with either clamp position?

First Campag carbon posts I saw went into a steel frame with a brazeon seat cluster. Seatpost cracked. A call to Campagnolo, NA about warranty. 'Type of seat clamp?' was the first question..'No warranty' was the first answer.

Then they recommended the seat clamp turnarund thing for the reasons I mentioned. Then Campagnolo came out with their own clamp.

I have been turning the clamps around for carbon posts since, and have seen no issues. May mean nuthin but it's what I do and suggest. PLUS no Campag carbon in traditional seat clusters..

oldpotatoe
12-02-2012, 08:45 AM
OP do you have a recommendation for 'S' clamp, or like, position with my current thomson masterpiece post or is it a non-issue with a thin walled AL post? As long as I'm asking ?s, is there long term impact to ST with either clamp position?

Seems to be a non issue with aluminum, including Masterpiece. BUT turning it around certainly won't hurt anything but the looks, when ya look at it. As mentioned, it does 'seem' to keep the hole rounder, when tightening, which can't be a bad thing.

Dromen
12-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Thank you sir.......once again.

tuscanyswe
12-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Campagnolo post? Just a suggestion, you 'may' want to turn the clamp around 180 degrees. Opposite the split in the seat tube. keeps the 'hole' a little rounder when tightening, or use a Campag seat clamp. Seen more than a few Campag carbon posts 'crack' at the back.

Just a suggestion.

Is this the reason for frames having the split facing forward on many frames i c now?

So most users that also turn the clamp with the bolt facing forward are basicly making the reason for putting the split there moot?

I put the clamp bolt on the opposite side for frames with splits facing forward for visual reason but i c now that im also doing it the right way? :)

christian
12-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I like the split facing forward because it collects less road debris.

avalonracing
12-02-2012, 10:25 AM
No brainer... Go with the clamp that will make you much faster and give you a lot more endurance.

DHallerman
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I may be years behind on my frame build work...

Oh.

I. Am. So.
Glad.

To hear someone else say that.