PDA

View Full Version : Hips Q-factor and a Fixie

H.Frank Beshear
10-21-2005, 05:15 PM
I have always been a wide body, had a 38" waist in high school wieghed 190 though :crap: . I tried a TA zephyr crankset and the q-factor was narrow enough to make my hips hurt. I had ridden a racing triple for years prior though without pain. I am thinking about having a set of Mach 2 tubies built with an Eno hub and converting my CIII to a fixie. Track cranks look really narrow is there a better solution? Wider bottom bracket? I rode my ti bike all summer FSA cranks wider q better hips. I'm sure there will be an opinion or two out there. :D Thanks for the help. Frank

93legendti
10-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I just used my FSA crank, put on a 42 chainring, and installed my ENO hubbed wheel on my HC Cross. On my Langster Track bike, I also used a D/A crank with a 42. I've had no problems after riding the Langster 13 out of the last 14 days.

djg
10-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I have always been a wide body, had a 38" waist in high school wieghed 190 though :crap: . I tried a TA zephyr crankset and the q-factor was narrow enough to make my hips hurt. I had ridden a racing triple for years prior though without pain. I am thinking about having a set of Mach 2 tubies built with an Eno hub and converting my CIII to a fixie. Track cranks look really narrow is there a better solution? Wider bottom bracket? I rode my ti bike all summer FSA cranks wider q better hips. I'm sure there will be an opinion or two out there. :D Thanks for the help. Frank

You should be able to use a crankset you already own and like, just by removing a chainring (and maybe replacing the other) and swapping bolts. Sheldon Brown and fixedgeargallery both have some stuff on chain line and conversions--lots of folks use converted road cranks. Also, there are pedals on the market that have adjustable q-factor you could look at--a couple of models of Look and, I gather, some of the Time pedals (although I only have experience with the Look CX-7s).