PDA

View Full Version : Which shifter cable for SRAM Red/Force installation?

velobaba
11-29-2012, 06:17 PM
I have been trying to install the shifter cables on SRAM force shifters but just
couldn't get the cables to go past the "90 degree curve". These are brand
new (no brand name) cables which were bought from the local bike shop.

Are there any particular brand/size shifter cables that are easier to install
on SRAM road shifters?

Thanks.

cmbicycles
11-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Party on. Sometimes these shifters can be a bear. Most important is to make. sure the cables have a good round end where it has been soldered, it is harder to install if the cable has been cut. Sometimes it helps to partially shift while inserting the cable, to help it around the bend, or put a very sligh t bend on the end of the cable and twist while inserting it.
This is why SRAM shifters are shipped with dérailleur cables factory installed. This sram design, like much of the "aero" internal cable routing, leaves much to be desired in my opinion anyway.

Gummee
11-29-2012, 08:59 PM
You're in for some fun times!

Only advice I can give is be patient.

Oh, and put a bend in the end of the cable to help it around that spot that you keep getting hung up on.

BTDT

M

beercan
11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
put the fan on when you install cuz you are going to be annoyed and heated

hockeybike
11-29-2012, 11:05 PM
I had a similar issue when I tried to use bulk cables on a sram shifter--had MUCH better luck with the jagwire basics cables that come in the following package:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/318CrJvrWvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

esldude
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Once had some SRAM Force. I had best luck with Jagwire as well.

Had better luck with some Shimano and Campy components. But that is another question.

oldpotatoe
11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
I have been trying to install the shifter cables on SRAM force shifters but just
couldn't get the cables to go past the "90 degree curve". These are brand
new (no brand name) cables which were bought from the local bike shop.

Are there any particular brand/size shifter cables that are easier to install
on SRAM road shifters?

Thanks.

New cable, soldered end, push it through and it'll pop out the top. If can't get it through, take off the side plate, don't loose the wee screws that screams 'lose me!!' and you can get it through. All 3 makers have seen fit to make der cable replacement as hard as possible.

quickfeet
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
sram uses a slightly smaller cable then the generic brands make 1.1mm vs 1.2mm This makes it hard to get the cheap cables past the bend on certain brands. Sram branded cables install much better.