PDA

View Full Version : Still better than the trainer

johnniecakes
11-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Just finished an hour long fixed gear ride at lunch. 37'F and enough wind to make the flags stand straight off the poles. A little snow along the side of the road and salt and cinders. Still beats the best trainer ride.

MattTuck
11-29-2012, 12:06 PM
amen brother!

Likes2ridefar
11-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I gave up on the trainer. I'd rather ride properly equipped in the foulest weather rather than sit for 20' on a trainer.

studded tires...fenders...balaclavas...toe warmers. ahh, good times. About a month away from the fun!

Ti Designs
11-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I did an indoor pedal stroke workout with the women's team I coach. Beats riding into a 27 degree headwind.

Likes2ridefar
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
I did an indoor pedal stroke workout with the women's team I coach. Beats riding into a 27 degree headwind.

Tough call...epic battle with a head wind or tight quarters with hot and sweaty women cyclists...

William
11-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Tough call...epic battle with a head wind or tight quarters with hot and sweaty women cyclists...

Nothing tough about that call!!;)

William

oldpotatoe
11-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Just finished an hour long fixed gear ride at lunch. 37'F and enough wind to make the flags stand straight off the poles. A little snow along the side of the road and salt and cinders. Still beats the best trainer ride.

Heat wave!! I can't do trainer/rollers..brain numbing. Dress, go ride. Our winter is over already anyway. had our 'day'.

65 and sunny today.

25 degrees or ice/snow. Cold, wet, windy..if I got 2 outta 3, I don't ride.

Bob Ross
11-29-2012, 12:49 PM
I gave up on the trainer. I'd rather ride properly equipped in the foulest weather rather than sit for 20' on a trainer.

I went out yesterday morning in ~30°F weather, wound up hitting a patch of black ice and going down hard, broke my finger, might have broke my hand, severe contusions on elbow and knee, cracked my helmet and ruined my favorite pair of winter tights

...and it was still better than being indoors on a trainer!

Likes2ridefar
11-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I went out yesterday morning in ~30°F weather, wound up hitting a patch of black ice and going down hard, broke my finger, might have broke my hand, severe contusions on elbow and knee, cracked my helmet and ruined my favorite pair of winter tights

that's the spirit! I was worried there for a few seconds:hello:

Might I suggest studded tires? It took me about 3 or 4 crashes on the west side path - i always landed on the same elbow and hip! - before I finally decided to try them out. Now I look forward to snow and ice!

Last winter was a real let down. I didn't get to use the studs once.

christian
11-29-2012, 01:23 PM

Crap! I rode Wall St. to Chappaqua. 2h28m, avg HR 151. My feet were frozen by the time I got home, but it was otherwise uneventful.

Climb01742
11-29-2012, 01:26 PM
gotta agree...worst ride outside is better, by far, than any ride inside.

christian
11-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Oh, it's not that bad. I'm doing 120 minutes on the trainer this evening.

MattTuck
11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
gotta agree...worst ride outside is better, by far, than any ride inside.

I'll add a proviso on to this, that is my opinion. You can get a very good WORK OUT on the trainer. Hell, for intervals, and other structured workouts, the indoor trainer may provide a better dose of fitness than being outside on the bike.

But, for me, a ride is not the same as a workout, and there are some things that a trainer simply can't replicate.

rustylion
11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Agreed.

Dangerous conditions keep me off the road riding outside (ice, dark, etc..). Miserable condtions just make me happy to be alive (cold, wind, wet, etc...). For me, most days, outdoors beats the trainer.

Nooch
11-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Eh, I got out and commuted today.. Also, considering I'm selling the car, it's parked and chilling. Need to place an order for some nokian icespeed tires, just for insurance..

DRZRM
11-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Just back from riding trails in the park across from my house for a few hours, I've already used lights to ride there after the kids go to bed more this year than all my previous night riding combined. I'm going to go as long as I can before I get on the rollers in the basement...maybe I do need studded tires, but I'd need a second set of wheels for the 29er...hmmm?