PDA

View Full Version : Another of the many reasons Boulder is.....

mkbk
11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
...such a nice place.
http://m.bikeradar.com/news/article/three-for-thursday-vecchios-bicicletteria-35856

GRAVELBIKE
11-29-2012, 10:48 AM
We are indeed blessed to have access to such fine human beings.

mcteague
11-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Makes me want to move to Boulder!

Tim

dan682
11-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Cool! Any question I've had, Peter has usually answered within an hour and has shipped out the same day a couple of small parts that I've needed. Pretty impressive service for someone he has never even met.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2012, 11:35 AM
...such a nice place.
http://m.bikeradar.com/news/article/three-for-thursday-vecchios-bicicletteria-35856

Wow, nice surprise. I've known Ben for a while..he came in and took some pix but didn't really mention what he was gonna do..just yaked for 15 minutes or so. Glad I didn't say anything 'untoward' about anything...unusual for me..maybe I did, I don't remember.

5 other bike shops w/i 20 blocks..one 1/2 block away but bike shops don't go out of biz in Boulder...they commit suicide but enough biz for everybody.

jr59
11-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Wow....Advise 50. per hour!

At that rate, this forum owes Peter ......Hmmmmm?

I don't want to add up what I owe! :banana:

jimbolina
11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
I made a huge point in visiting this shop while we were on vacation out West, this past summer. The place indeed has a lot of personality and character, and is fun to simply peruse and dream in. I was not disappointed.

It has an additional draw for me, as the owner was in the Navy (and is probably about my age) and obviously LOVES cycling as I do. I began my love affair with (Italian) bicycling while in the Navy, stationed in Sigonella, Sicily, in the early seventies. Beautiful island, and is under-appreciated by travellers, even today, I believe.

I purchased my first 'serious' bike in the big, bustling city of Catania, at a tiny shop not unlike Peter's, called Garozzo.

I was measured, and got to pick the paint color. It had tubulars, which were odd to me at the time, but I loved them anyway! Looking back, I'm not certain if they actually made the frameset there (I doubt it!) but they had everything available right there in the shop, including TONS of Campy components, and some French stuff, as well. About a week later, I went down to secure my new bike, and rode it to home - about nine miles or so, away. What a ride that was!

Over time, I rode the hell outta' that bicycle, and commuted daily to my airbase from a wee, little town called Motta, which was about ten miles from the base photo lab where I worked at. Great way to start a day, no doubt.

Much later, after returning to the States, I continued the commuting from my (off-base) apartment, to the base in Jacksonville, which was about a 12 mile ride. It was during those young years I developed a love of riding longer and longer distances, and slowing gaining a discipline for staying in the saddle long enough to really build strength and stamina. Before that time it was 'kids' stuff - just hopping on a banana-bike or ten speed, and going over to a friend's house nearby. Everything changed after Sicily.

Glorious times, and I'll never forget that bike! To this day, I've only purchased Italian framesets and components, with my last frame being built by Giovanni Pelizzoli himself.

On a side not, and as many of you Italian-lovers already know, there is literally only a handful of these old-school, truly authentic, and hardcore-experienced builders left. As lugged-steel has slowly died away (not entirely, of course, but not like it was) there seems to be no one taking up the more traditional frame building ways over there in Italy anymore. I guess with carbon leading the way, the money simply isn't there, and most folks probably snub their nose at the older stuff, and only want what's new. If you're on the fence about getting one of these frames from one of these builders, I'd not wait too terribly long, as they are getting older and the younger ones replacing them seem to stay away from lug work.

Anyway, being one of those old-school, Italian-centric bicycling lovers, I am a tad sad that that era seems to be slowly fading away... so it's great when you come across a place like Vecchio's where tradition, hand-built wheelsets, Campagnolo, vintage lugged-steel, and many of the 'old ways' are still both appreciated and respected. Just cause it's new doesn't make it better.

Jim

cash05458
11-29-2012, 01:44 PM
I have never been there but would love to visit someday...I can only say I had Peter do work on some old Campy Record shifters I just couldn't get to make a build work...no matter the advice or product I tried...Peter had the obscure, no longer made part to fix and returned em to feeling like new and for a totally reasonable price considering the shape of the things...all with a single day turnover and back to me in the mail that day! Likewise, when advice was needed on other builds and no cash involved via his fine shop, always a learned, friendly response...great guy and great shop...

jr59
11-29-2012, 02:13 PM
I hope to see him and that effin Potter in Denver this Feb

witcombusa
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
...such a nice place.

Don't have to convince me.

Boulder County is my home away from home :banana:

oldpotatoe
11-29-2012, 05:09 PM
I made a huge point in visiting this shop while we were on vacation out West, this past summer. The place indeed has a lot of personality and character, and is fun to simply peruse and dream in. I was not disappointed.

It has an additional draw for me, as the owner was in the Navy (and is probably about my age) and obviously LOVES cycling as I do. I began my love affair with (Italian) bicycling while in the Navy, stationed in Sigonella, Sicily, in the early seventies. Beautiful island, and is under-appreciated by travellers, even today, I believe.

I purchased my first 'serious' bike in the big, bustling city of Catania, at a tiny shop not unlike Peter's, called Garozzo.

I was measured, and got to pick the paint color. It had tubulars, which were odd to me at the time, but I loved them anyway! Looking back, I'm not certain if they actually made the frameset there (I doubt it!) but they had everything available right there in the shop, including TONS of Campy components, and some French stuff, as well. About a week later, I went down to secure my new bike, and rode it to home - about nine miles or so, away. What a ride that was!

Over time, I rode the hell outta' that bicycle, and commuted daily to my airbase from a wee, little town called Motta, which was about ten miles from the base photo lab where I worked at. Great way to start a day, no doubt.

Much later, after returning to the States, I continued the commuting from my (off-base) apartment, to the base in Jacksonville, which was about a 12 mile ride. It was during those young years I developed a love of riding longer and longer distances, and slowing gaining a discipline for staying in the saddle long enough to really build strength and stamina. Before that time it was 'kids' stuff - just hopping on a banana-bike or ten speed, and going over to a friend's house nearby. Everything changed after Sicily.

Glorious times, and I'll never forget that bike! To this day, I've only purchased Italian framesets and components, with my last frame being built by Giovanni Pelizzoli himself.

On a side not, and as many of you Italian-lovers already know, there is literally only a handful of these old-school, truly authentic, and hardcore-experienced builders left. As lugged-steel has slowly died away (not entirely, of course, but not like it was) there seems to be no one taking up the more traditional frame building ways over there in Italy anymore. I guess with carbon leading the way, the money simply isn't there, and most folks probably snub their nose at the older stuff, and only want what's new. If you're on the fence about getting one of these frames from one of these builders, I'd not wait too terribly long, as they are getting older and the younger ones replacing them seem to stay away from lug work.

Anyway, being one of those old-school, Italian-centric bicycling lovers, I am a tad sad that that era seems to be slowly fading away... so it's great when you come across a place like Vecchio's where tradition, hand-built wheelsets, Campagnolo, vintage lugged-steel, and many of the 'old ways' are still both appreciated and respected. Just cause it's new doesn't make it better.

Jim

Been to Catania more than once. Have taken the bike off the ship and ridden there also(USS Forrestal and USS Independence). Sicily a great place, don't call it Italy!

Didja know a gut named Donald Skipper? Flew bug smashers outta Sig.

witcombusa
11-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Been to Catania more than once. Have taken the bike off the ship and ridden there also(USS Forrestal and USS Independence). Sicily a great place, don't call it Italy!

Twin Beech ???

jimbolina
11-29-2012, 07:33 PM

Peter, I was actually in a VP squadron (45) and was rotated there twice. 'Sunny Sig' has always been a special place. Great duty. It beats the heck outta' Keflavik!

I assume you were a carrier pilot? If so, you are a stud!

And you're right about the Sicilians. They don't like to be called Italian!

Jim

oldpotatoe
11-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Twin Beech ???

King Air and I think they had an old station DC-3...He was part of the station aviators, not a fleet guy.

Fighter guy but not a stud, just trying to get thru it w/o busting my ass.