PDA

View Full Version : Stock tips?

bostondrunk
10-21-2005, 12:40 PM
The drunk needs some cash for drinkin this weekend.
SOme of you on here must be traders. What are some good stocks and industries to watch at the moment???!!!
:beer:

Frank
10-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Buy low, sell high...simple enough ;)

Kevan
10-21-2005, 12:44 PM
I think they're busy stocking lumber in south Florida as we type.

keno
10-21-2005, 12:48 PM
but SNDK has happy feet today. Not only is this not advice, I wouldn't rely on it for any reason whatsover.

keno

bostondrunk
10-21-2005, 12:51 PM
How about DELL? Think it'll get a little upwards bump for the Xmas shopping season??!

Argos
10-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Slightly more long term than todays drinking money, but Valero has just completed a post-Katrina spike back to about $95-ish. It had spiked about 2 weeks ago to 117. Good times.

Anyway, there an national leader and they have a stock split coming later this Quarter. There second since last year.

Whatever, thats my pick.

bostondrunk
10-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Slightly more long term than todays drinking money, but Valero has just completed a post-Katrina spike back to about $95-ish. It had spiked about 2 weeks ago to 117. Good times.

Anyway, there an national leader and they have a stock split coming later this Quarter. There second since last year.

Whatever, thats my pick.

hmmm....dunno....any company with a 52 week range of $40 to $117 is too risky for poor me....

Litespeeder
10-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Try calling T Row Price for advice on what to invest in. They have typically given me great advice over the years which has led to some very nice returns.

:bike:

bcm119
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Watching stocks take up too much time. Just buy into a few funds, and use your time on the forum.

In the mean time, go to the brewery tours at Sam Adams and Harpoon. They will give you free beer at the end.

ti_boi
10-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I like NVS long, but then that's just me.

spiderlake
10-21-2005, 01:50 PM
I've been impressed by Walgreen's and Sirius this year. I'm a long term buy and hold kinda guy....

Argos
10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Boston..

Are you looking at the numbers or the charts?

You need to look at the charts and know that they split a year ago.

http://finance.aol.com/usw/quotes/charts?dr=12&symbs=&ag=&index=&te=mountain&se=default&hs=on&vs=on&sym=VLO&exch=USA&state=1&settings=1&vl1=off&ss1=off&dv1=off&hs1=on&vs1=on&scs=0&daysb4=&fromdate=&todate=&freq=1&timeframe=0

Risky? Looks like a clear and specific trend, not erratic behavior. They are going to go down to 50-60 again very soon..... Because of a split, not a collapse.

Maybe the market is not for you. ;)

jdoiv
10-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Haliburton. Or any company connected to the current administration. I've doubled my money since 2000. All $30 of it....

I figure I've earned a case o' beer so far. Of course I drunk about 312. Not exactly gettin' ahead, but definately gettin' drunk....

Budweiser is a good investment too... the beer, not the stock...

bostondrunk
10-22-2005, 06:49 AM
Boston..

Are you looking at the numbers or the charts?

You need to look at the charts and know that they split a year ago.

http://finance.aol.com/usw/quotes/charts?dr=12&symbs=&ag=&index=&te=mountain&se=default&hs=on&vs=on&sym=VLO&exch=USA&state=1&settings=1&vl1=off&ss1=off&dv1=off&hs1=on&vs1=on&scs=0&daysb4=&fromdate=&todate=&freq=1&timeframe=0

Risky? Looks like a clear and specific trend, not erratic behavior. They are going to go down to 50-60 again very soon..... Because of a split, not a collapse.

Maybe the market is not for you. ;)

I'm looking at the 52 week range on this chart:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=VLO&d=t

which takes into account any splits. Same way it does for ebay, that was over 100 a while back, then split, and now shoes its 52 wk range as $30 - $59, in other words, it takes the split into consideration.

Smiley
10-22-2005, 09:24 AM
Drunk , I gave up a long time ago on individual companies and now play sectors for the long haul . ENERGY is a no brainer since the word is not giving up their cars and Health Care are my two favorites.

pauln
10-22-2005, 09:43 AM
If your serious about this post, do yourself a favor. Don't put your money in any stock. Anyone who goes on to a cycling bulletin board for investment advice is sure to lose money.

bostondrunk
10-22-2005, 06:40 PM
If your serious about this post, do yourself a favor. Don't put your money in any stock. Anyone who goes on to a cycling bulletin board for investment advice is sure to lose money.

Damn! I just put 30k on argo's suggestion!!!! Couldn't you have told me this sooner?!!!
;) :beer:

Spinsistah
10-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Drunk , I gave up a long time ago on individual companies and now play sectors for the long haul . ENERGY is a no brainer since the word is not giving up their cars and Health Care are my two favorites.
Smiley is one smart guy. Unless you know the ins and outs of the companies, don't buy individual stocks, funds are a much better way to go.

Dr. Doofus
10-22-2005, 10:40 PM
buy more shares of the distillery, bud

eventually, you'll own it and you won't have to bum drinks off the guys who spray bikes at hot tubes

bostondrunk
10-23-2005, 07:53 AM
buy more shares of the distillery, bud

eventually, you'll own it and you won't have to bum drinks off the guys who spray bikes at hot tubes

thems some generous drinkin buds at hot tubes... :p :beer:

zap
10-23-2005, 09:27 AM
sniped

Unless you know the ins and outs of the companies, don't buy individual stocks, funds are a much better way to go.

Assuming the people that run the funds understand business fundamentals, spend time on the road and aren't supplementing their income (ie. bribes), your right. But you have to wonder what they teach at schools like "The" Wharton these days.

But by and large you are right. Depending on where you are in life, it's not a bad idea to have some (say 5-15% of your portfolio) play money for interesting investments. Some older high fliers might make a come back and there are some interesting companies outside the US.

mflaherty37
10-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Never break the first rule of investing, diversify!

Mr. Big Bucks :no:

EPOJoe
10-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Why don't you just convince Ben to go public. Then we can all own a bit of the company, attend share holder meetings and push our own individual agendas. The imagination reels... ;)