PDA

View Full Version : “I knew Tyler and he wasn’t a bad guy...

Tony T
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM
...but I don’t know the motives for doing what’s being done now,” Cancellara says. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/exclusive-interview-fabian-cancellara) “He comes and talks all over the world and says, ‘this guy brought me here, this guy sent me there’ but at the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself whether you’re going to smoke a cigarette or not. If you’re not capable of saying no, then I’m sorry, but it’s your own fault.”

fa63
11-28-2012, 07:36 PM
I have a feeling Cancellara would have smoked a lot of cigarettes too if had turned pro and achieved some success in the early to mid 90s.

LegendRider
11-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Cancellara has past associations with Cecchini, Riis and Bruyneel and, of course, he wants to "turn the page." It's straight from the current-riders-who-must-uphold-omerta-playbook.

monkeybanana86
11-28-2012, 08:43 PM
I like this cigarette analogy. But it can't be that simple.

Grant McLean
11-28-2012, 08:46 PM
(according to Fabian) "If you’re not capable of saying no, then I’m sorry, but it’s your own fault.”

Tyler agrees. He doesn't blame others for his actions, he seeks to
explain how it happened that he found himself in a situation where he
made choices he now regrets.

-g

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
. . . Shimano is way better than Campy.

BBD

monkeybanana86
11-28-2012, 08:51 PM

BBD

i got a good laugh

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2012, 09:05 PM
. . . are way, WAY better than clinchers.

BBD

Lovetoclimb
11-28-2012, 09:20 PM
and Rapha makes the best performing, most stylish, and well advertised clothing on the market!

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2012, 09:31 PM
True fashion genius!

BBD

and Rapha makes the best performing, most stylish, and well advertised clothing on the market!

johnniecakes
11-29-2012, 07:08 AM
especially during this time of year when it is "nippy"

Elefantino
11-29-2012, 07:10 AM

BBD
Depends on what you're fishing for.

:eek:

William
11-29-2012, 07:12 AM

BBD

Not if you like pizza.

William

shovelhd
11-29-2012, 07:20 AM
Not if you like pizza.

Pepe's in New Haven is the world's best pizza.

67-59
11-29-2012, 07:23 AM

Only if Chicago is no longer part of the world.:fight:

Climb01742
11-29-2012, 07:59 AM
blonde or brunette?

PQJ
11-29-2012, 08:00 AM

BBD

BBD

With all due respect, you're completely wrong.

Oh, and Cancellara is as dirty as all of them.

shovelhd
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Never was. :banana:

goonster
11-29-2012, 08:09 AM
at the end of the day, you have to decide for yourself whether you’re going to smoke a cigarette or not. If you’re not capable of saying no, then I’m sorry, but it’s your own fault.”
True, but we still want to know if there is a covert network smuggling cigarettes into the grade school playground.

Nooch
11-29-2012, 08:19 AM
i know it's volatile, but I'm going to reply to the meat of this thread...

Everyone has choices to make.. but the way it plays out, the smoking analogy is kind of fitting because of the peer pressure aspect of it in younger kids.. a young kid wanting to fit in with his group of friends might be inclined to smoke, even if they know they shouldn't, even if they know it's bad for you, to be accepted -- to go further socially, perhaps. (maybe this isn't the case today... but it was when I was in school)

The decision to dope, to stay in your group of peers, to continue your career, to make more money, to go further financially... it all seems kind of similar, doesn't it?

Everyone could choose to say no -- and then get shunned, get fired, lose your friends, not be one of the cool kids, not be part of the a-team... I think it's a fair analogy, but not the way Fabian intended it...

Also, SRAM is far supperior to shimano and campy and have the worlds best customer service.

cmg
11-29-2012, 08:46 AM
If only SRAM had rebuildable components, then would they be superior. someone was selling cigarettes?

Elefantino
11-29-2012, 08:51 AM
If you are a sociopath, you cheat.

If you cheat, you dope.

If you dope, you make money.

If you make money, you buy part of SRAM.

Therefore, if you use SRAM, you support kicking puppies.

54ny77
11-29-2012, 08:53 AM
wait, i thought it was clubbing baby seals?

i'm so confused.

If you cheat, you dope.

If you dope, you make money.

If you make money, you buy part of SRAM.

Therefore, if you use SRAM, you support kicking puppies.

bobswire
11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
i know it's volatile, but I'm going to reply to the meat of this thread...

Everyone has choices to make.. but the way it plays out, the smoking analogy is kind of fitting because of the peer pressure aspect of it in younger kids.. a young kid wanting to fit in with his group of friends might be inclined to smoke, even if they know they shouldn't, even if they know it's bad for you, to be accepted -- to go further socially, perhaps. (maybe this isn't the case today... but it was when I was in school)

The decision to dope, to stay in your group of peers, to continue your career, to make more money, to go further financially... it all seems kind of similar, doesn't it?

Everyone could choose to say no -- and then get shunned, get fired, lose your friends, not be one of the cool kids, not be part of the a-team... I think it's a fair analogy, but not the way Fabian intended it...

Also, SRAM is far supperior to shimano and campy and have the worlds best customer service.

You had me going along with you until ," SRAM is far supperior to shimano and campy and have the worlds best customer service". ;)

Black Dog
11-29-2012, 09:08 AM

No way! Cheesy Luigi's in Chelsea Quebec.

BumbleBeeDave
11-29-2012, 09:10 AM

. . . I think you could make an argument that a true sociopath would not even realize (or care) that he's cheating. So to him it would not be cheating.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_sociopath

There are ten general symptoms:

•not learning from experience
•no sense of responsibility
•inability to form meaningful relationships
•inability to control impulses
•lack of moral sense
•chronically antisocial behavior
•no change in behavior after punishment
•emotional immaturity
•lack of guilt
•self-centeredness

There has been no one smuggling cigarettes into the grade school playground since I graduated. :rolleyes:

BBD

zap
11-29-2012, 09:11 AM

BBD

Yes, if you want to ride slow.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Papa Al's in Brookfield!!!! But, still doesn't hold a candle to Rosa's or "Dirty" Joe's in Maspeth, NY.

johnniecakes
11-29-2012, 09:14 AM
There is no such thing as bad pizza only differeing degrees of good !!!

saab2000
11-29-2012, 09:16 AM
With all due respect, you're completely wrong.

Oh, and Cancellara is as dirty as all of them.

Do you have specific evidence to support this accusation? Are you privy to a positive test? Have you spoken with him or his doctor or supplier to know this? I am sure that anyone making a serious accusation like this must have solid evidence.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-29-2012, 09:18 AM
there is no such thing as bad pizza only differeing degrees of good !!!

potd.

jchasse
11-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Modern across town is better. Just sayin'

BumbleBeeDave
11-29-2012, 09:37 AM

. . . to eat pizza, smoke smuggled playground cigarettes, and settle this Shimano-Campy-SRAM thing once and for all!

BBD

johnniecakes
11-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Happiness = Beer + Pizza + (sram OR campy OR shimano) + time for each

CaliFly
11-29-2012, 09:53 AM
tubulars. . . Are way, way better than clinchers.

Bbd

+1,000,000

tuxbailey
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM
If you are in DC, try 2 Amys pizza near the Cathedral. They are good.

Rueda Tropical
11-29-2012, 11:12 AM

Chicago style 'pizza' is a crime against humanity and should not be allowed to be called pizza. :no:

Choices for good pizza in Miami are severely limited but you can get the real deal from 2 Italian outposts in South Beach: Giotto and Fratelli La Bufala.

Climb01742
11-29-2012, 11:12 AM
in NYC, try john's in the village and V&T's up by columbia.

shovelhd
11-29-2012, 11:24 AM

They have to, because their junk breaks all the time.

shovelhd
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
There is no such thing as bad pizza only differeing degrees of good !!!

Stop making sense. You are ruining this thread.

shovelhd
11-29-2012, 11:26 AM

No friggin' way. Not even close.

shovelhd
11-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Chicago style 'pizza' is a crime against humanity and should not be allowed to be called pizza.

Talk to me, brotha. :hello:

PQJ
11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Do you have specific evidence to support this accusation? Are you privy to a positive test? Have you spoken with him or his doctor or supplier to know this? I am sure that anyone making a serious accusation like this must have solid evidence.

No, pure speculation. However, given his success and the period during which it was obtained, I'm as sure he's dirty as I was about Armstrong 6+ years ago.

Lest I be branded a Fabian hater, let me be clear that there was a time I was a huge fan and the reason I've soured on him a bit has nothing to do with anything other than the manner in which he went to Lay-o-pard.

dancinkozmo
11-29-2012, 11:58 AM
So...how about that hockey strike ?
ive started watching professional curling...yesterday we went out to the local rink to see the famous "saskatchewan ice knights" the harlem globetrotters of curling , and i must say.....it was a delight !!

And for sure , cancellara is a doper

Elefantino
11-29-2012, 11:59 AM
And for sure , cancellara is a doper
Wrong.

His seat tube has a motor in it. Everyone knows that.

johnniecakes
11-29-2012, 12:26 PM
No, pure speculation. However, given his success and the period during which it was obtained, I'm as sure he's dirty as I was about Armstrong 6+ years ago.

Lest I be branded a Fabian hater, let me be clear that there was a time I was a huge fan and the reason I've soured on him a bit has nothing to do with anything other than the manner in which he went to Lay-o-pard.

So I understand correctly; If you win, and do it convincingly sometimes, you must be a doper. And someone a hemisphere away can tell that just by how you ride. So therefore the only possible clean riders are the ones back in the cars. Or do they not have the right “supplements” Really glad the USA justice system is “Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

PQJ
11-29-2012, 12:38 PM
So I understand correctly; If you win, and do it convincingly sometimes, you must be a doper. And someone a hemisphere away can tell that just by how you ride. So therefore the only possible clean riders are the ones back in the cars. Or do they not have the right “supplements” Really glad the USA justice system is “Innocent until PROVEN guilty.

Yeah, if you repeatedly and consistently kick the living crap out of the dopiest peloton in history, the overwhelming odds are that you're dirty like all the rest (Exhibit A: Dopestrong). Given what we know about pro cycling, it's guilty until proven innocent; the pros are gonig to have to work to change that, not the fans. The old 'if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck' is apropos here.

Remember also that this is a cycling-oriented internet message board where random and mostly anonymous people can go and shoot the $hit about a sport they love and speculate about what goes on in it. If you want to believe Fabian is clean, that's totally cool. My personal opinion is that it's a naive point of view but it is my opinion and nothing more. I don't think any less of you for thinking it.

johnniecakes
11-29-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't think any less of you for thinking it.

Now I will sleep tonight. I just do not like the broad brush approach to condemnation of a group based on a sampling of some portion of the whole.

Anyway I care far more about the activity of cycling than the pro sport of cycle racing. If all racing stopped tomorrow it would not affect my riding or enjoyment of the activity

BumbleBeeDave
11-29-2012, 02:21 PM
. . . I never condemn a pizza based on a portion. I always eat the whole thing before deciding.

Oh, and BTW, wool is way better than lycra.

BBD

dancinkozmo
11-29-2012, 02:35 PM
...does dominoes still do the "oreo dessert pizza "??

I gots a hankering !

PQJ
11-29-2012, 03:43 PM
If you're ever in Atlanta there's a place that does a great desert pizza. No oreos but plenty of medjool dates.

LegendRider
11-29-2012, 05:36 PM
If you're ever in Atlanta there's a place that does a great desert pizza. No oreos but plenty of medjool dates.

What place is that? Sounds like I might need to check it out!

PQJ
11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
What place is that? Sounds like I might need to check it out!

Varasanos. Best pizza in ATL hands down.

Elefantino
11-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Oh, and BTW, wool is way better than lycra.
PETA would disagree. Strongly. :no:

Fixed
11-29-2012, 06:16 PM
He had everything college good schools beautiful loving wife faithful dog money
I will say he has been tested by his troubles .all this could make him stronger than he was .imho
Cheers I do hope he finds happiness and peace now

cfox
11-30-2012, 06:20 AM
Now I will sleep tonight. I just do not like the broad brush approach to condemnation of a group based on a sampling of some portion of the whole.

Anyway I care far more about the activity of cycling than the pro sport of cycle racing. If all racing stopped tomorrow it would not affect my riding or enjoyment of the activity
Don't get snippy, he was trying to be nice! As far as Fab is concerned the guy rode away from the field with such ridiculous ease he was accused of having a motor in his bike...while riding for Riis. Even a dummy like me can do that math.
PQJ is right, the state of cycling is broken to the degree that it's impossible to not be a skeptic of amazing rides/results.

Rueda Tropical
11-30-2012, 07:43 AM
PETA would disagree. Strongly. :no:
Giving sheep an annual haircut for the wool is not cruelty to animals. Now spring lamb braised in its mothers milk. That might be more of an issue.