PDA

View Full Version : About sums it up for me

firerescuefin
11-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Well written...struck a chord:cool:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/analysis/notes-from-the-scrum-up-up-up_266521

e-RICHIE
11-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Yes - saw it earlier today.
We are the sport - the idiots in the news stories are just the floor show atmo.

ps

arrange disorder

:cool::cool::cool:
;);):rolleyes:

ckamp
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Quite the weekly climb.

67-59
11-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Strikes a chord for me too. Thanks for sharing....

cachagua
11-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Very nice!

"Gravity hates us all", that's good... who was asking about an inscription, when they got their bike painted?

rounder
11-28-2012, 10:05 PM

MattTuck
11-28-2012, 10:13 PM
Very nice!

"Gravity hates us all", that's good... who was asking about an inscription, when they got their bike painted?

That was me. And that's a pretty good one. Although, I think gravity hates me a bit more than it does thin people!!

gemship
11-29-2012, 02:54 AM
What I don't get is all the people I know who don't ride bikes and think I should race or be the next Lance Armstrong just because they see me on a bike. Sometimes they even give me some criticism after they startle themselves early in the evening when they are driving and suddenly look up to see me on the right side of the road. They say "get a light". Anyway the author sounds like he rides with soul but he forgot to mention why I and others ride... some of us just ride our bikes because it's the right thing to do. We do it for survival, a only mode of transport. I actually am fortunate enough to have a scooter but with winter on the way it doesn't run well in extreme cold, bad traction on ice and honestly I don't see the need to muck it up with road salt/debris for a few months out of the year. I also have a chevy truck that gets somewhere south of 20 mpg, it can become a we bit cost prohibitive for those 10 mile commutes in to town for food. So I ride my bike from point a to b. If there is emotion involved well lets just say I am only human:rolleyes:

soulspinner
11-29-2012, 05:24 AM
yes - saw it earlier today.
we are the sport - the idiots in the news stories are just the floor show atmo.

Ps

arrange disorder

;);):rolleyes:

+1000

Elefantino
11-29-2012, 05:34 AM
That was me. And that's a pretty good one. Although, I think gravity hates me a bit more than it does thin people!!
Yes, it sucks to be a Newtonian Cyclist.®
:help:

cachagua
11-29-2012, 09:55 AM
"Driving and suddenly look up to see me on the right side of the road. They say 'get a light' ". . .

Maybe not a bad idea?

gemship
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
"Driving and suddenly look up to see me on the right side of the road. They say 'get a light' ". . .

Maybe not a bad idea?

Yeah I need to get a front headlight to appease the knuckleheads who have an opinion and drive their cars on the wrong side of the road and roll thru stop signs:butt: See... I left this part out of my first post, and this is why I spend so much time in lurk mode, just don't really feel like getting a typing exercise workout, like I feel the need to elaborate on every given detail of a situation. I mean all kidding aside you just don't even know the half of it but the simple answer is yes. Get a headlight. I actually ride on the right side of the road and what I use is a blinking tail light which is fine for the folks that come up from behind me to my left in their lane but as far as oncoming traffic on the other side of the road, so long as they stick to their right of the road I can't imagine the odds of them crossing lanes and hitting me but stranger things have happened and we are dealing with bullies in cars so there you go.

shovelhd
11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
I commute regularly in the offseason and I have definitely, more than once, had a car driving the wrong way in my lane almost hit me dead-on. They were trying to get into a driveway on the left, didn't feel like waiting for the traffic to clear, and decided to drive in my lane to "jump the light". I have a 900 lumen headlight that I put in strobe mode until it's well past sunset. It helps.

gemship
11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
I commute regularly in the offseason and I have definitely, more than once, had a car driving the wrong way in my lane almost hit me dead-on. They were trying to get into a driveway on the left, didn't feel like waiting for the traffic to clear, and decided to drive in my lane to "jump the light". I have a 900 lumen headlight that I put in strobe mode until it's well past sunset. It helps.

I know you're right, I'm a charity case anyone want to send me a light because I am too cheap to buy one:p Seriously cars have actually hit people in the same instance you describe in broad daylight. You're right though, it's called defensive cycling but almost doesn't count...