PDA

View Full Version : Time Trial / Triathlon Frame

FlaRider
10-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I am seeking advice on purchasing a dedicated TT/Tri frame for next season. I race exclusively on the road (mostly crits) but have a strong desire to try out some TTs and Tri's next year. I realize that I could simply install some clip-on aero bars on one of my road bikes but I've decided that I really want a dedicated machine for these events. Price is not an issue. I'm seeking something (obviously) aerodynamic, stiff and reasonably light.

I've been looking at the Cervelo P3 SL (size 55 cm would probably fit well) as well as a bunch of other models (Trek, Guru, Orbea Urdu, etc.) I realize Serotta makes a TT/Tri frame as well (which would be custom) but for some reason steel on a TT/Tri bike doesn't appeal to me (although I love steel for other applications :rolleyes: ). Any suggestions??

Thanks.

ada@prorider.or
10-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Hi,

I am seeking advice on purchasing a dedicated TT/Tri frame for next season. I race exclusively on the road (mostly crits) but have a strong desire to try out some TTs and Tri's next year. I realize that I could simply install some clip-on aero bars on one of my road bikes but I've decided that I really want a dedicated machine for these events. Price is not an issue. I'm seeking something (obviously) aerodynamic, stiff and reasonably light.

I've been looking at the Cervelo P3 SL (size 55 cm would probably fit well) as well as a bunch of other models (Trek, Guru, Orbea Urdu, etc.) I realize Serotta makes a TT/Tri frame as well (which would be custom) but for some reason steel on a TT/Tri bike doesn't appeal to me (although I love steel for other applications :rolleyes: ). Any suggestions??

Thanks.

get a good measurement first
then seek a bike that will fit you
not other way around

deechee
10-21-2005, 11:59 AM
ya might wanna check out the slowtwitch forums (http://forum.slowtwitch.com/) for nuthead triathletes who will undeniably tell you that cervelo is king. If you're TT'ing though you probably don't want a tri bike as they're not uci legal. Check out the tri bike fit article here. (http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html)

I know Cervelo specifically states whether their bikes are legal or not, and they have that flippable seatpost so that's nice. A lot of others are jumping onto this bandwagon too (http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/product2006/interbike2005.html)

I'd love to get a TT bike but I don't have the money now. But I agree, I think the CXII is marketed more for triathletes since we have to run afterwards. Comfort is king.

jerk
10-21-2005, 12:03 PM
get a good measurement first
then seek a bike that will fit you
not other way around

what cees said.

the cervelo p3 has a very low headtube and is best ridden fairly steep in terms of seat angle. it wants your weight rotated around the bottom bracket and has the short stays and fron center and low front en to make it handle best in that position. the new p2carbon and the p2sl have slightly higher head tubes and longer cahin stays and will likely allow a slightly more "upright" position.

get measured.
jerk

Fixed
10-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Bro it's none of my buss. but have seen the jerks t.t. bike man if I were you I 'd p.m. him and have him hook me up, then you'd have a really pro set-up i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

10-21-2005, 02:20 PM
have a good look at guru's they are fully dialed in to TT and tri- I am finalizing my order for a crono. Guru seems like a top notch bunch of folks that are expanding their dealer network via empowering top notch fitters as there sales tools.

lot of look
K

Brian Smith
10-21-2005, 09:03 PM
Hi,

Thanks.

How about a Legend?
I know that it's not sold as a "Tri-bike," or a "TT bike," or "Aero bike," but really, it's fully custom. If you really just have to have a squashed DT for psychological reasons, you can get one, but you'd be better able to transfer your efforts into forward progess without one, and as far as the aero benefits of tucking the wheel behind a baloney curved seat tube......well, a trip to a wind tunnel with yourself and a consultant would reap a LOT more beneifit. If you worked with a fitter experienced in road and tri and tt setups, you could get something tailored for both your intentions AND your riding background. For that matter a CDA is just as much custom, possibly even more so, but when someone says price is not the oblect, they are commonly more intrigued by a Ti bike than a Steel bike.....

Climb01742
10-22-2005, 03:22 AM
How about a Legend?...For that matter a CDA is just as much custom, possibly even more so

brian, an intriguing statement...would you elaborate? thanks.

loctite
10-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Hi,

Thanks.

The most important thing to consider is effeciancy. Aero tube sets and looks are way secondary. The TT position can suck as far as power output, if you dont have an efficient position. As has already been said, have a good aero postion built FIRST, then try and finf a frame that fits your position. Dont just blindly buy ("size 55 would probably fit well") and hope it is going to work.

My point is this, If you go out and pick up a brand X because the tri geeks on slowtwitch say its the "bike to have" and you cant achive an efficent position that is going to give you the most power, you have wasted your money! Good Luck!

Brian Smith
10-22-2005, 12:25 PM
brian, an intriguing statement...would you elaborate? thanks.

If one has an affinity fro really rigid frames, the tube selection is better in steel than in Ti. A frame built for extreme rigidty is not popular right now, but if that were someone's bag, it would be easier to realize in steel, especially in the rear end. Dave Kirk has mentioned this rear end rigidity item before as well. I don't hear any complaints from owners of Ti Serottas, nor many other ti bikes either, about this characteristic, but it's there. To me it's more of an issue in the front ends, but I think I'm in an even smaller minority of opinion there.