PDA

View Full Version : Tifosi Podium Sunglasses?

oldguy00
11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Anyone try a pair?
Was looking at these and the Smith Pivlock V2. The Tifosi are half the price, but not sure if they are junk?
Thx!

oldpotatoe
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Anyone try a pair?
Was looking at these and the Smith Pivlock V2. The Tifosi are half the price, but not sure if they are junk?
Thx!

I sell Tifosi and nobody seems to have any problems with 'em. Probably made in the same place as Smith or Oakley or Rudy or......................

little.man
11-28-2012, 01:03 PM
I have a few pair of Tifosi and am satisfied with them. The wire on the ear pieces has worn through the protective rubber from use, sun and heat. The darkening lenses do not really seem to work very well - at least not as advertised. That pair is a few years old, so do not know if that has improved. Not a big issue for me. Price wise, they are hard to beat.

nrs5000
11-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm hard on sunglasses so I don't want to spend big coin on them. I've had a pair of Tifosis few years, one with interchangeable lenses. Replacement lenses and earpieces are available online, or probably through a dealer, for a reasonable price, which is nice.

shovelhd
11-28-2012, 01:54 PM
I ride and race with Tifosi Envy glasses that have the NiteLite Fototec lenses. Excellent. I would replace them with the same thing, but they don't make them anymore.

holliscx
11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I have a pair of Oakley M frames plus a pair of Tifosi Tyrants. While the Tifosis are ok the quality and particularly the lenses fall well short of Oakley's standards. You will end up spending on Tifosi and replacement glasses and/or lenses close to if not more than what you could have purchased Oakleys for, so you get what you pay for.

nebraskacycling
11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
I ended up with a pair after a cross race (lucky preme) this year and they work well for me. They fit very well to my face and work well. I like how easy it is to adjust the nosepiece.

welcomdmat
11-28-2012, 07:47 PM
I own and both. The Tifosi guys did a great job with the Podium. Their feeling was that poly-carb lenses are tough, but they don't like to have holes drilled in them. They developed them with that mindset.

The Smiths may have slightly better optics, but you pay for it. Tifosi may still have the best lenses in their price range.

wc1934
11-28-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a pair with transition lens ( supposed to change as the light conditions change).
They are ok - Paid about 80 bucks for them - I like my oakleys better, but of course they cost more.

CAAD
11-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Take a look at the salice glasses. I have a pair of the 006 with transition style lenses. Think they were around 120 bucks. Great glasses. Lightweight and comfortable. Also the optics rival Oakley for a fraction of the cost.

Liv2RideHard
11-29-2012, 03:34 AM
I too am using the 006 by Salice with the photocromic transition lens. Very nice eyewear at a very attractive pricepoint. I also have Tifosi and Specialized glasses among others and no longer reach for them. The Salice eyewear is so comfortable. When riding I forget they are on my head. No pressure points. Great optics. Made in Italy. Check them out.

jpw
11-29-2012, 05:00 AM
I sell Tifosi and nobody seems to have any problems with 'em. Probably made in the same place as Smith or Oakley or Rudy or......................

where do glasses get made?

oldpotatoe
11-29-2012, 07:29 AM
where do glasses get made?

Look east, 'far' east...

AgilisMerlin
11-29-2012, 07:45 AM
found a pair in my car,

turned out to be a friend of my wife's

wish she did not tell me that

http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/img/pds2/thumbs/LogicXL_0060105101.jpg

used a couple of times

sweet for the price, wonder how much it costs to make them :eek:

jpw
11-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Look east, 'far' east...

....ah, east. The margin must be substantial.

The Assos Zegho range is made in Italy, but still in the same price bracket as top end Oakleys.

Liv2RideHard
11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
sweet for the price, wonder how much it costs to make them :eek:

Probably a nickel.

One of the reasons I like Salice...made in Italy by the same family going on 3 generations. That means something to me. They have been producing technical outdoor eyewear for close to 100 years. Not made in the far far east. Like I said, that means something to me.