PDA

View Full Version : Question about having a wheelset built (Boston)

4Rings6Stars
11-27-2012, 10:50 PM
In my search for reasonably priced, durable and relatively lightweight 135 spaced Campy 11 disc wheels (wow, sounds like I'm asking a lot...) I've decided my best option is to have something built or maybe even build it myself.

Leaning towards having someone who knows what they are doing build them because I'll probably screw it up but would like to know what I'm getting myself into and what it will cost to get it done.

Anybody have recommendation for a wheel builder in Boston?
About what it would cost if I supply 28h hubs and alum. rims?
Should I just try to do it myself or will it only save me $100 and be a PITA that results in an unreliable wheelset?

Thinking maybe these hubs, D712SB: http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-CX.asp
Good reviews, relatively light, cheap, not terrible looking.

Still haven't decided on rims. My other cross wheelsets are 36h Open Pros but I don't think I need to go that rugged on this one. Build will be Campy Chorus 11 on a steel frame (most likely). I weigh 165 lbs.

cnighbor1
11-27-2012, 11:00 PM
I suggest for all wheel building go to rivendell in walnut Creek, CA Ask for rich He builds all their wheels

MattTuck
11-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Luxe wheelworks is in Boston. Not sure if Justin will build with parts you bring him.

4Rings6Stars
11-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Luxe wheelworks is in Boston. Not sure if Justin will build with parts you bring him.

Thanks for bringing that up, I meant to ask if that was normal/reasonable. I know all hell broke loose here when somebody asked about bringing frame tubes to a framebuilder, but I was hoping it was different for wheels...

DRZRM
11-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Yup Justin will build with your new parts, at least he did mine. Though I'm not sure about spokes.

Great builder and great guy to work with.

I've built some wheels myself, and so far they are holding up well, but given how long it took me to build them it hardly felt like a savings. For my first custom frame, I figured I'd let a pro handle it.

AngryScientist
11-28-2012, 06:15 AM
an attractive option, which might teach you a little about wheelbuilding, and save you a few bucks: use an online spoke calculator, buy the rims, hubs, spokes and nipples, and lace the wheel yourself. bring the tension up to some reasonable level, then have a good shop true/final tension them for you.

jamesutiopia
11-28-2012, 06:27 AM
It's not like setting up your cockpit-- there's only one correct result when building a wheel (round, centered, stress-relieved, and with enough tension that spokes don't come loose). I've got the nice Park stand, but it takes me 4-6 hours to get it tensioned and round (per wheel) so I've gone back to paying others $50 to do it.

Most wheelbuilders will use your (new) hub so long as you buy the spokes and rim from them. Wheelworks, Harris, and Peter White all do this for about the same price (though Peter will make fun of you for "still" riding Campy).

likebikes
11-28-2012, 06:29 AM
try this recent thread on nearly the same subject for wheelbuilder recommendations in boston.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=107318

JayBay
11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Go see Woody, in Middleton MA. He builds great wheels:
www.woodyscyclery.com/

BillG
11-28-2012, 07:20 AM
Just pay Dave W. at Broadway Bicycle to give you instruction as you build them. You can use all their stuff, and it will be cheaper and more satisfying than having someone else build them.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2012, 07:41 AM
It's not like setting up your cockpit-- there's only one correct result when building a wheel (round, centered, stress-relieved, and with enough tension that spokes don't come loose). I've got the nice Park stand, but it takes me 4-6 hours to get it tensioned and round (per wheel) so I've gone back to paying others $50 to do it.

Most wheelbuilders will use your (new) hub so long as you buy the spokes and rim from them. Wheelworks, Harris, and Peter White all do this for about the same price (though Peter will make fun of you for "still" riding Campy).

I build from parts brought in all the time. Rims, hubs, a few times spokes if they are the correct length and the customer isn't asking for something silly, in terms of lacing or really thin spokes. Even some not new hubs and rims, with the caveat on the rim, if it's really toasted, which is sometimes hard to determine until the wheel is almost built.

I charge $65 per wheel labor to build, as a reference from this wheelbuilder.

OBTW-Peter will make fun of you for a lot of things...I think he does it for sport.

witcombusa
11-28-2012, 08:54 AM
I build from parts brought in all the time. Rims, hubs, a few times spokes if they are the correct length and the customer isn't asking for something silly, in terms of lacing or really thin spokes. Even some not new hubs and rims, with the caveat on the rim, if it's really toasted, which is sometimes hard to determine until the wheel is almost built.

I charge $65 per wheel labor to build, as a reference from this wheelbuilder.

OBTW-Peter will make fun of you for a lot of things...I think he does it for sport.

It does seem to put some folks off, but I rather enjoy his demeanor...:banana:

scrubadub
11-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Another wheelbuilder I've liked working with is Anthony King at Longleaf Bicycles (just across the builder in NH). Peter White also does a solid job.

old fat man
12-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Best option is to take David's wheel building class at broadway bicycles. You'll learn to do it yourself, correctly, and then go on to build lots of wheels and save lots of money (not really, cuz you'll want to build lots, which is not cheap...but fun).

Or pay him to do it for you. David is the nicest and one of the best full service mechanics in Boston.

FGC
12-02-2012, 05:32 AM
+1 on David for all the above reasons.

pinkshogun
12-02-2012, 06:01 AM
its always nice learning how to build wheels and now is the perfect opportunity. start with the front wheel, its easier than the rear