PDA

View Full Version : Look Ma, No Brakes!

54ny77
11-27-2012, 08:37 PM
ABS brakes on bikes.

Finally, I've been wanting the ability to take a hairpin turn at full clip without worrying about my fabulous dental work...

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/11/27/hands-on-sabs-antilock-bicycle-brake-pads/#more-52233

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/SABS-antilock-brake-pads-for-bicycles01-600x450.jpg

rdparadise
11-27-2012, 08:49 PM
It will be interesting to see if these gain any traction over time. Little pricey but not too bad if they really work well and are effective.

Bob

54ny77
11-27-2012, 08:55 PM
maybe for urban environments/commuting, or even mountainbiking.

but i have a hard time understanding how it would be widely adopted in a spirited ride/race environment.

isn't the limiting factor tires/contact patch?

maybe these things are saying it's not all about the contact patch.

like u said, it'll be interesting to see how it develops.

dgauthier
11-27-2012, 09:16 PM
It will be interesting to see if these gain any traction (. . .)

No pun intended, I'm sure. ;)

ultraman6970
11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
Are those compatible with campagnolo? :P

christian
11-28-2012, 07:36 AM
I liked the comment (presumably facetious) about also wanting traction control. Because, um, I clearly have that.

54ny77
11-28-2012, 07:51 AM
but will they fire friggin' lazer beams?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-MF8aN3v_ANM/TtP2qpn9aTI/AAAAAAAAAkw/vGnETgSYZxA/s1600/dr-evil.jpg

gemship
11-28-2012, 07:55 AM
"notmikeb - 11/27/12 - 3:34pm
Finally!!! The solution to the problem no serious cyclist has ever had!!!!"

Quoted from the comments section at the end of the test report, kinda wise but very true. Honestly I think it's awesome that someone could develop these but the stated downsides seem to be a deal breaker on all levels of riding. Whether your a commuter or racer. OTOH, I don't do group rides but out of some desperate attempt at self preservation I could see some you guys getting these.

gemship
11-28-2012, 07:59 AM

but i have a hard time understanding how it would be widely adopted in a spirited ride/race environment.

Also in many cases at least where I ride we don't have enough hills steep enough to really enhance that pucker factor where your grabbing a handful of brake lever. Of course this is completely subjective, back in my younger days riding dirtbikes and streebikes I was always making up for a hp deficit as a late breaker.

Chance
11-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Personally have a harder time with what makes these brakes work as claimed, and or what makes them "anti-lock"? :confused: That’s a huge claim.

Are they talking about reducing braking force (by pulsing) so much that it’s impossible to lock a tire? If so, and if done 100 percent mechanical without feedback, how does the brake differentiate between maximum stopping between wet and dry streets? Yeah, we can also keep brakes from locking-up by putting oil on rims but that doesn’t solve the real problem.

Two things that caught my eye on the various videos were the bikes and riders. All riders seemed relatively short and riding MTB bikes with extremely long front centers (compared to road racing bikes). Most bike front wheels can’t be locked up on dry surface anyway, so what are videos proving? The real danger is in flipping over the bars. And that’s almost impossible to do when a short rider with low center of gravity (particularly with saddles set extra low as in videos) is on a bike with an extremely long front center.

Having the riders wear elbow and knee pads while stopping at relatively slow speeds makes a real confidence statement.:rolleyes:

Dude
11-28-2012, 12:34 PM
You need to remember that 98% of cyclists out there don't ride like "we" do. They use their brakes for two things, gradually slowing or panic stop. For someone to be able to grab a bunch of brake and not worrying about skidding is a huge selling point. IF the technology actually works, it would make selling any $500+ hybrid/flatbar road bike much easier.

Plus, what gemship said, during a TT/Tri I'd love to come into a turn later/faster.

martinrjensen
11-28-2012, 06:31 PM
I suppose you are right but I think it would be nice if people could/would just learn how to use the brakes they have.....You need to remember that 98% of cyclists out there don't ride like "we" do. They use their brakes for two things, gradually slowing or panic stop. For someone to be able to grab a bunch of brake and not worrying about skidding is a huge selling point. IF the technology actually works, it would make selling any $500+ hybrid/flatbar road bike much easier.

Plus, what gemship said, during a TT/Tri I'd love to come into a turn later/faster.