PDA

View Full Version : first century advice

vqdriver
11-27-2012, 05:02 PM
i've got a couple months to get ready, but i'm confused as to how to train for this thing.

this is my first century so any advice is welcome. target times, on the bike refueling, equipment considerations, yada yada...

MattTuck
11-27-2012, 05:05 PM
What's the longest ride you've done recently?

Do you have a certain time in mind to finish by? Is it a gran fondo event? Is the course more challenging than you're used to?

AngryScientist
11-27-2012, 05:11 PM
1) complete a ride on similar terrain of at least 65-70 miles
2) eat before you're hungry
3) drink before you're thirsty

palincss
11-27-2012, 05:30 PM
i've got a couple months to get ready, but i'm confused as to how to train for this thing.

this is my first century so any advice is welcome. target times, on the bike refueling, equipment considerations, yada yada...

You are doing your first century in January? Where are you, anyway?

There are excellent "first century" threads here, and century training info widely available on the web. For a first century, your target should be to finish. Time is irrelevant. Of course, in January you're going to be constrained by hours of daylight, unless you plan to ride at night; but most organized centuries (i.e., not randonneuring events) won't let you ride at night.

What's the farthest you've ridden? How far are you riding now?

Dromen
11-27-2012, 05:44 PM
My .02....

1. Nutrition and hydration are so much more important than on shorter rides. The last portion of your trip will be miserable is you don't focus on these throughout.

2. Stay calm. Most centuries, especially the first, the excitement level promotes faster than planned pacing. Why not, you have all that energy. I dont race centuries but like to perform relatively well compared to my abilities and fitness(or lack of both). My focus is to ride at approx 50% of my fastest or highest effort riding(threshold). Keep this in mind for the first 25-50 miles to gauge how you feel. From there, slowly step it up or take it down.

3. Not a must but if you can find a group with similar goals/abilities/speed to ride with, even if over just portions of the ride, the energy savings from being part of a team will pay dividends.

It is more strategic than shorter distances. If you ride how you feel in the moment without respect for the distance, especially on your inaugural, you will probably drain the tank.

Best of luck and make it fun.

CNY rider
11-27-2012, 06:12 PM
Nothing should be "new" on the century ride.
Everything you will be wearing and using that day, should be stuff you have ridden extensively with and feel comfortable with.
It's not the time to "reward" yourself with new bibs or a jersey. You can do that to celebrate completing the ride and wear the new stuff afterwards.

Jeff N.
11-27-2012, 06:16 PM
In addition to the above, take your sweet time...stop at all the rest stops. Take it all in. Stay to the right of the fast pacelines. Drink, drink, drink. Enjoy! Jeff N.

kramnnim
11-27-2012, 06:31 PM
My .02....

3. Not a must but if you can find a group with similar goals/abilities/speed to ride with, even if over just portions of the ride, the energy savings from being part of a team will pay dividends.

This- time/miles go by much faster when you have others to talk to, suffer with, etc. Just don't wear yourself out trying to keep up with a group that is too fast.

bikinchris
11-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Good advice so far.
Yes, stop at all of the rest stops. BUT don't stay. Get water, make sports drink, fill your pockets with tasty stuff, eat a little then get back on the bike and ride.
Practice with different breakfasts, on the bike foods and different sports drinks BEFORE the century ride.
Don't ride a century to get ready for a century. It takes away all of the fun of riding your first century. Shoot for riding 80 miles at most. The 80 mile mark is where most people bonk if they haven't eaten right during the ride. That 80 mile ride should be about two weeks before the century. The week before the century ride, do a 60 mile day on a Saturday and a 50 mile day on Sunday. You will know that you can ride 100 miles in one day depending on how you feel the second day. when you have ridden wel, you will have good confidence and enjoy your ride.

Pack away everything you will want for the ride a few days before your event. That way you won't forget something when excited the morning of the ride.

Get the bike checked over and serviced a few weeks before the ride. NEVER ride an untested bike on a big ride.

eddief
11-27-2012, 06:35 PM
apply or bring along some chamois cream.

gdw
11-27-2012, 06:37 PM
How many miles a week are you currently riding? What is your average ride distance and pace? What is your longest ride in hours/miles over the last month?

AngryScientist
11-27-2012, 06:42 PM
i'd like to add to the statement i made above:

terrain - it's big. riding a century with a couple thousand feet elevation gain is worlds different than a century with 5, 6, 7 thousand feet elevation gain.

train for the terrain.

Frankwurst
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
1) complete a ride on similar terrain of at least 65-70 miles
2) eat before you're hungry
3) drink before you're thirsty

This and take your time it's not a race. Enjoy it.:beer:

vqdriver
11-27-2012, 06:48 PM
palincss - the ride's in palm springs so i'm actually hoping it won't be stupid hot in the afternoon but by all accounts the weather should be pretty nice. if anything, there'll be some hi winds to deal with as most of the desert out there is very exposed.

thanks for all the advice on feuling guys. i'll need to be more mindful of eating on the bike. as it is, i'll tank at the end of 50 milers with gels and bars sitll in my pockets. i just forget about it.

Dromen
11-27-2012, 06:55 PM
i'd like to add to the statement i made above:

terrain - it's big. riding a century with a couple thousand feet elevation gain is worlds different than a century with 5, 6, 7 thousand feet elevation gain.

train for the terrain.

Very good point. Know the route and make sure you have the right equipment.

If you are training on flats and riding a mountainous century, make sure you have the correct gearing. Big ring and small cog setups may be fine for the flats but could be an early end to your day in the hills/mountains. You can find all sorts of advice for high elevation gain riding in the forum.

coylifut
11-27-2012, 07:07 PM
you could do it tomorrow without any training what so ever.

the first one i did was in gym shorts, tennis shoes and a sleeping bag wedged between the bars. i'm sure i hadn't ridden more than 30 miles prior. i was 17, it was 32 years ago on a brand new Trek. I still have the bike and will ride it to work and back tomorrow. 45 miles round-trip, fixed.

there will be old ladies with their names stamped on mini license plates hanging below their saddles There will be grossly overweight men on very light bikes. There will be people who wear cotton briefs under their spandex bibs with the straps outside of their jerseys. there will even be people with spacers under their stems.

they will stop along the way, fill up bottles with powdered sports drink, eat baked potatoes with chili on top and cookies-lots of cookies. They will all finish.

You will too.

rounder
11-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Don't forget your water bottles. Actually, don't forget anything.

I showed up for a century years ago without any water bottles. Left the house in a hurry and was frazzled. Fortunately, guys from a shop I knew had a display set up at the start line and gave me a bottle.

Good luck.

Jeff N.
11-27-2012, 09:56 PM
palincss - the ride's in palm springs so i'm actually hoping it won't be stupid hot in the afternoon but by all accounts the weather should be pretty nice. if anything, there'll be some hi winds to deal with as most of the desert out there is very exposed.

thanks for all the advice on feuling guys. i'll need to be more mindful of eating on the bike. as it is, i'll tank at the end of 50 milers with gels and bars sitll in my pockets. i just forget about it.Tour de Palm Springs? I'll be there. Go every year. Winds can be nasty but you get paid back with wind at your back later on.

tiretrax
11-27-2012, 10:02 PM
apply or bring along some chamois cream.

Beat me to it. Be sure to test out the pad and creme combination on a long ride, such as 100k.

Make a check list and have a duffel bag packed with everything you'll need for before, during and after the ride, such as a towel and a change of clothes.

boomana
11-27-2012, 10:14 PM
If you're prone to burning, bring along a small bit of sunscreen. You can buy them in sticks almost as small as a chapstick.

cnighbor1
11-27-2012, 11:18 PM

Do intervals on weekeends
Get an indoor wid trainer and train watching sports start spiining slowly work up to one minute standing at max effort than coll down shifting into easier gears
Try different foods and energy drinks while riding and use only those on century
Start ride at an easy pace than last 25 miles push a bit harder unless you can't Than at least you have only 25 miles to finish
don't be afraid to walk a bit
take four ten minutes breakes spaced evenly eat something during those breaks
maybe ride with a freind who rides at your pace but if he goes over 2 mph faster than you than forget it

bobswire
11-27-2012, 11:33 PM
You can't really train for your first century, I'm 67 and still have 33 years to go before I reach mine.
All you can to do is take care of yourself, eat healthy and stay active.
Oh, and don't expect to see another century go by, you'll be lucky to reach your first. ;)

flydhest
11-28-2012, 09:00 AM
A thought I have harbored for years but left unsaid. I want to buy coylifut a beer.

you could do it tomorrow without any training what so ever.

the first one i did was in gym shorts, tennis shoes and a sleeping bag wedged between the bars. i'm sure i hadn't ridden more than 30 miles prior. i was 17, it was 32 years ago on a brand new Trek. I still have the bike and will ride it to work and back tomorrow. 45 miles round-trip, fixed.

there will be old ladies with their names stamped on mini license plates hanging below their saddles There will be grossly overweight men on very light bikes. There will be people who wear cotton briefs under their spandex bibs with the straps outside of their jerseys. there will even be people with spacers under their stems.

they will stop along the way, fill up bottles with powdered sports drink, eat baked potatoes with chili on top and cookies-lots of cookies. They will all finish.

You will too.

Ti Designs
11-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Learn to ride, advice is part of the learning stage, not the riding stage.

Every year around this time I take the kids I coach and we do base mileage rides. I tell them they need to eat. I explain all about calories burned and calories taken in - these are Harvard kids, you would think they could understand all of this. As soon as the pedals start turning they forget everything I tell them. We're two hours into the ride and I'll notice that some of them haven't eaten anything yet. They got the advice, they just haven't learned yet. If you do an event based on what you've learned, you'll be just fine. If you do an event based on advice, you're in big trouble.

bambam
11-28-2012, 09:35 AM
This article might help:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=96118

also carry stuff to fix your own flats you never know when or if a sag vehicle will show up.

Good Luck,
BamBam