PDA

View Full Version : Why is Bicycling free?

Johny
10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
OK, I keep receiving new issues of Bicycling and I have not paid them any penny for 2 years. Since friends don't let friends read Bicycling, I know any of you didn't buy me subscription. So why?

EPOJoe
10-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Much like Jason Voorhees or Michael Myers, there's no real way to kill it. :help:

shinomaster
10-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Maybe they think you still use training wheels?

toaster
10-21-2005, 12:31 AM
Any good articles on cycling and sex in Bicycling magazine? ;)

The Spider
10-21-2005, 02:22 AM
The Bicycle Riders Acadamy, they've still got you on the files as 'Learner'.

You have to update your file to WP (wanna-be professional) or ED (Euro Dogg) and then Bicycling will stop being sent....

however, ever since I did this...

they keep sending me requests to write articles for them! (monthly column called 'Spider's Web', please!)

shaq-d
10-21-2005, 02:24 AM
i'd say it's cause it shows up as "revenue" and/or increases their readership/circulation numbers. it goes into accounts receivable, never gets collected, but looks good for investors...

sd

Serpico
10-21-2005, 02:49 AM
do you live in 'Biketown USA' by chance?

:D

TriJim
10-21-2005, 03:21 AM
Team Performance members (Performance Bicycle) were given free subscriptions to Bicycling this past year. I also think it is the circulation/advertising game. :rolleyes:
On a positive note, my free subscription started just before Serotta Open House and the first issue included a good article on Phinney Davis. :beer:

Kevan
10-21-2005, 06:56 AM
What Jim said. I've been getting it as well, I just don't care to admit it. Boy, I wish they'd deliver the thing under brown paper wrap like my other magazines.

Sandy
10-21-2005, 07:23 AM
I keep getting twice a day issues of "Kinky Kevan". I swear that I never subscribed to it. I must admit that some of the pictures are sort of neat..... :)

Sandy

PaulE
10-21-2005, 07:38 AM
If you are a member, they also send you Bicycling for free. I am waiting for them to offer the option to donate an extra $25 per year or whatever to guarantee you will not receive Bicycling.

Kevan
10-21-2005, 07:43 AM
now available at reasonable rates for three color or b&w,in full, half or quarter. My publication's demographics are directed to the discerning older gentlemen who know what they want, have exceptional taste for the best things in life, and have the resources to acquire it.

davep
10-21-2005, 09:43 AM
After just buying a new bike, wheels, etc there is no way I would say bicyling is free :)

ti_boi
10-21-2005, 09:47 AM
OK, I keep receiving new issues of Bicycling and I have not paid them any penny for 2 years. Since friends don't let friends read Bicycling, I know any of you didn't buy me subscription. So why?

It's free because they just publish the same issue over and over again, but put a different cover on it each month :D

Kevan
10-21-2005, 09:59 AM
around Bicycling's editorial conference table, "Hey, let's do a story on how to build stronger legs!"

Then, as if in chorus, everyone else at the table responds, "Yeah... and on the cover we can print in bold: How to get stronger legs - three easy ways!"

Can't they get it down to two easy ways???

ClutchCargo
10-21-2005, 10:18 AM
What Jim said. I've been getting it as well, I just don't care to admit it. Boy, I wish they'd deliver the thing under brown paper wrap like my other magazines.

you crave each month's "Style Man" column !

ride on!

Johny
10-21-2005, 10:40 AM
you crave each month's "Style Man" column !

Could he be the JERK? :D

Jeff N.
10-21-2005, 11:05 AM
One of these days you'll probably get a big fat bill in the mail. Jeff N.

Kevan
10-21-2005, 12:22 PM
We've all come to terms with the fact that buying that jersey, for as cool as the music and its cover might be, is a very uncool acquistion. Regardless, I spent the "Mon-ney...it's a gas!", sorry, but it's my intention to wear the damn thing and enjoy it! Who knows, 15 years from now it might actually become cool. Probably not.

So anyway, getting to the point, there I am in the family library (yeah, that one.) and there's Bicycling's so-called Style Man telling me it's still not too late to return it, naming the shirt specifically.

Now I'm not sure if I should be grateful for having the poor taste to be recognized by that rag or be even more embarassed than I am already.

cdmc
10-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Bicycling is like VD, once you get it, there is virtually no way to stop it.

Kevan
10-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Clap on! Clap off!

flydhest
10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
i'd say it's cause it shows up as "revenue" and/or increases their readership/circulation numbers. it goes into accounts receivable, never gets collected, but looks good for investors...

sd

close, but only half credit. Can't be "revenue" as they don't receive any money from someone who gets it free. It does likely go into their circulation numbers, however.

The other thing, however, is that the cost to them of producing an extra copy is very close to zero. If they can get some of the people who receive them free to re-subscribe after receiving 25 "last chance to re-subscribe" notices, then they're ahead.

circulation for advertisers, possible re-ups all for an extremely low cost.

keno
10-21-2005, 01:49 PM
are you telling us that the folks at Bicycling might not be as smart as the bookkeepers at some former (and, I expect, present) icons of American business, such as Enron?

BTW, I wouldn't count on me as knowing beans about this stuff.

keno

shaq-d
10-21-2005, 03:17 PM
close, but only half credit. Can't be "revenue" as they don't receive any money from someone who gets it free. It does likely go into their circulation numbers, however.

The other thing, however, is that the cost to them of producing an extra copy is very close to zero. If they can get some of the people who receive them free to re-subscribe after receiving 25 "last chance to re-subscribe" notices, then they're ahead.

circulation for advertisers, possible re-ups all for an extremely low cost.

geek time..

it DOES go into revenue AND accounts receivable. they just never make the effort to collect, adn it would never fly if they tried.

same thing that AOL/netcome etc did handing out free CD's...

sd

BumbleBeeDave
10-21-2005, 08:10 PM
. . . in a national circulation magazine is incredibly expensive. The rates they can charge for that advertising space are based on their circulation. Works the same in the newspaper biz. I know--I’m in that biz. Newspapers have been known to use all sorts of tricks--legal and otherwise--to puff up their circulation numbers so they can get away with charging more for advertising. The Audit Bureau of Circulation (ABC) is the company that keeps track of “official” circulation for the purposes of setting those rates. Some publications get busted for it by the ABC. Most don’t.

Flydhest is right that once they get the presses rolling, it’s not at all expensive to crank out 100k extra copies. Or even 500k for that matter. They also get more of a discount from postal when they mail more. The people at Rodale are not chumps. You can bet they are finding some way to qualify that “free” subscription they send you as “paid circulation”, perhaps if the LAW gives them 25 cents for each subscription. Even at two bits for 12 issues, that’s still “paid.” They then can ad that to their total paid circulation, nudge their total into the next up advertising rate bracket, and reap perhaps millions in added revenue from the higher rates.

That’s the way it works. Has been for years. You get more sacks to cart out to the curb for the recycling truck and they get more pure profit. Or they may use it to start up more “healthy” magazines that really aren’t. Like “Men’s Health.“ Or the recent start up “Women’s Health.” Old man Rodale would be spinning in his grave at Warp Factor 8 if he could see either one of those mags and how the current owners have sucked the integrity out of his original mission statement and used it to print money.

BBDave

dehoopta
10-21-2005, 10:18 PM
OK, I must not be very cultured in all things cycling. I get Bicycling and don't think it is that bad, but again, I am not cultured. What mag's DO you all approve of? I get VeloNews, but am not into the National/International, Road/Cross/MTB, Mens/Womens scene.

So, recommendations please?

Saxon
10-21-2005, 10:36 PM
I still can't get over the "Quake her Quiver!" ad in the back of the mag for the Liberator sex pillow.

So, recommendations please?
InStyle Magazine:This month's issue has a hot spread on Evangeline Lilly and some nice candids from the Epidermolysis Bullosa Benefit at the Hammer.

Bradford
10-21-2005, 10:46 PM
OK, I must not be very cultured in all things cycling. I get Bicycling and don't think it is that bad, but again, I am not cultured. What mag's DO you all approve of?

Who cares what people approve of. Don't get caught up in the stupidity about what is cool and what is not. It is the least attractive part of cycling, and in my opinion, the least attractive aspect of this forum. We would all be better off if people were less hip and less cycnical.

ti_boi
10-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Bicycling is OK. I subscribe so feel qualified to knock it a bit....at times though, it does tend to repeat itself. On a side note: The recent 'Sex' Issue was probably one of the least 'Sexy' things to cross my threshold --

My favorite magazines tend to be less about making lists that try to tell you what is 'cool'....(Bicycling and others do these lists a lot) and more about bringing you real content about life, points-of-view, competition, riders of all levels. Bicycling tries to do this and sometimes the results are interesting.

Figure if someone is picking up a biking magazine and not using it to 'shop' as many might...they are looking for some inspiration or perhaps practical knowledge regarding the sport we all love!

Finally, as the crappy weather descends, isn't it nice to see majestic photography of some spring like alp or an open warm field where we might (in our minds) be riding one afternoon.

bironi
10-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Bicycling Magazine is the equivalent to receiving free offers for a Captial One card.

Byron

dehoopta
10-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Who cares what people approve of. Don't get caught up in the stupidity about what is cool and what is not. It is the least attractive part of cycling, and in my opinion, the least attractive aspect of this forum. We would all be better off if people were less hip and less cycnical.

Trust me, I was being facetious. I don't want approval or to hip, but I would like to know if there are better mags out there.