PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mark Cuban rails against NBA contract with phony bracelet company

eddief
11-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Hooray for Mark:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/mark-cuban-slams-nba-sham-energy-bracelet-licensing-234512826--nba.html

Sometimes a jerk, sometimes not so much.

jvp
11-27-2012, 07:39 AM
N/A wrong thread!

norcalbiker
11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
I actually admire him for that comment.

Those things does not have any scientific evidence that it works.

gasman
11-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Good call on his part.

No science, just BS and hype, behind those things. As PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute. Cuban is not a sucker about these

MattTuck
11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Watch out biopace.

CaptStash
11-27-2012, 10:13 PM
I hate the Mavs (hey I'm from L.A. originally, goes with the territory) but I like Cuban a lot. I happened to surf by the Shark Tank show and saw the Clean Bottle guy trying to raise capital from the Shark Tanks folks. He had some really tall guy there dressed up in the Clean Bottle outfit. Turned out that the tall guy was Bill Walton, and Mark Cuban, the employer of Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki et. al. was like a little kid meeting his hero. I loved that.

captStash....

Alan
11-28-2012, 07:43 AM
There have been some similar products pitched on Shark Tank and Mark Cuban gave them hell and said they were a sham.

It is a good show to watch for those with a capitalist orientation. Entertaining to watch the collection of investors and those seeking cash. To me the most interesting part is the valuation which I always question given my background.

Alan

54ny77
11-28-2012, 08:03 AM
LOVE that show!

"Mr. Wonderful" can be brutal! Barbara Corcoran--useless (just like her eponymous RE firm's website...), she never (or at best rarely) invests or understands what people are doing, she's a rotary phone in a digital world. When the QVC lady is on there, she gets it. Awesome shark, especially for certain consumer products.

There have been some similar products pitched on Shark Tank and Mark Cuban gave them hell and said they were a sham.

It is a good show to watch for those with a capitalist orientation. Entertaining to watch the collection of investors and those seeking cash. To me the most interesting part is the valuation which I always question given my background.

Alan

djg
11-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Well . . . they are real bracelets or necklesses or pendants from a real company, but saying that there's no science behind this is like saying that there's no science behind the tooth fairy. There's no science in the sense of no freaking idea, based on any understanding of physics or physiology, of how this crap could possibly work. And right, no data collected within a sound experimental methodology, within the non-existent theoretical framework, to test a hypothesis nobody ever seriously entertained, or even knew how to frame. It seems to me that this crap is beyond hype or puffery or hopefulness and well into just plain fraud.