PDA

View Full Version : Had to Stop Drinking My Coffee...

August
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
when I saw this. I'm always amazed at the way Dave can build a frame that's somehow both brilliant and understated simultaneously. The polish is, of course, ostentatious, but all of the details are perfectly, elegantly executed. It's when a builder is really capable like this that the polish doesn't stink of pretense.

Can't wait to see what's in store for NAHBS.

67-59
11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
There's more than one Dave who makes beautiful bikes. To whom are you referring?

Ahneida Ride
11-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Working competently in stainless in not for the nascent builder.

As I understand the process, brazing SS lugs to SS tubes takes
serious torch work knowledge.

Dave's work is always amazing ....

maxdog
11-26-2012, 10:38 AM
There's more than one Dave who makes beautiful bikes. To whom are you referring?

I'll second that.

Rueda Tropical
11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
That is beautiful. The slightly warmer color of the silver brazing is very neatly banded around the attachment points. Love the curves of the bridge and cable hanger.

August
11-26-2012, 10:41 AM

Hah, sorry. Dave Wages, Ellis Cycles. Dave Anderson builds nice stainless stuff, and so does Dave Kirk, but neither polishes it this way.

jr59
11-26-2012, 11:03 AM
when I saw this. I'm always amazed at the way Dave can build a frame that's somehow both brilliant and understated simultaneously. The polish is, of course, ostentatious, but all of the details are perfectly, elegantly executed. It's when a builder is really capable like this that the polish doesn't stink of pretense.

Can't wait to see what's in store for NAHBS.

I'm blessed to own one. Even second hand, it's the best riding bike I have right now.
Dave builds great bikes that ride great and look OUTSTANDING!

54ny77
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
i thought that was dave kirk because that looks like a kirk barrel adjuster.

gorgeous frame indeed!

bluesea
11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Hah, sorry. Dave Wages, Ellis Cycles. Dave Anderson builds nice stainless stuff, and so does Dave Kirk, but neither polishes it this way.

Thanks, I would have been disappointed if that was Dave Kirk's work. Not that I'd put him down if it was, but I *like* him better if it wasn't. :D

Fixed
11-26-2012, 09:35 PM
Bluesea Did they not both learn at the same place ?
Just wondering
Cheers

rounder
11-26-2012, 09:56 PM
Stunning bike. The bikes are loking better than the cars these days.

gemship
11-28-2012, 01:41 AM
I am not in the market for a custom made steel bike but if I was it would be a Dave Wages built bike. I like his polishing, it accents the lugging and I like the lugs on his bikes. He builds a really classy looking rig. The prettiest in my opinion. Again I am not in the market for a bike but I do have one criticism in that where I live in Ma. he's not local to me and if I were in the market that would be a hard one for me personally to get around. I like the idea of being close to a builder. However his bikes are so dam pretty I would probably make a exception and just spend the dough on plane tickets and hotels and visit the master should the day ever come that I dare to place a order!

Most beautiful bikes are Ellis Cycles. There was a recent locked thread on Gaulzetti's and how expensive they are... not flame them but for the value a lugged Ellis compared to the latter seems like a bargain. Just my opinion.

monkeybanana86
11-28-2012, 01:43 AM
lovely. love the visibility of the brass too.

559Rando
11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Tis a beauty.
Dave Wages posted it on the Image Gallery the other day:

Ellis KVA Stainless Rando (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=119918)

There's more pics there :)

oliver1850
11-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Great guy as well. He's been very helpful communicating with me on a repair issue with a frame from another builder.

oldguy00
11-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Dave Anderson makes some -sweet- looking SS frames. Would love to have one if I had the extra $$.

gemship
11-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I was just combing thru the galleries on the Ellis Cycles website and just wow!

Ok I found another criticism worth pointing out. I like the lugged 953 and I think it is so beautiful that there isn't a component maker out there that can do that frame justice. Seeing Sram Red or Di2, carbon wheels, they actually cheapen the look and clash with the classic styling. Although I understand in the spirit of form follow function at some point we have to cede to the fact the the new stuff makes for a nicer ride.

oldguy00
11-28-2012, 12:42 PM
I was just combing thru the galleries on the Ellis Cycles website and just wow!

Ok I found another criticism worth pointing out. I like the lugged 953 and I think it is so beautiful that there isn't a component maker out there that can do that frame justice. Seeing Sram Red or Di2, carbon wheels, they actually cheapen the look and clash with the classic styling. Although I understand in the spirit of form follow function at some point we have to cede to the fact the the new stuff makes for a nicer ride.

Just find a NOS early 90's C-Record group. Shouldn't cost too much.... ;)

gemship
11-28-2012, 12:50 PM

you know you're right and honestly it would probably be a whole lot cheaper than any new group and keep that build in budget considering the 953 f/f set with all the trimmings, you're looking at 6k alone. :eek:

Dave Wages
11-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Been there, done that. I got into cycling in the late 80's and by the time that Campy Delta brakes came out I was a certified bike nerd, I wanted them so bad! Never did get them at the time, way out of my price range, but I managed to stumble across a '91 Campy Record group at Ben's Cycles in Milwaukee back in 2009. I knew that I had to buy that group and build my 18 year old self's dream bike. I showed this bike at NAHBS in 2010 in Richmond, but once the show was over, I couldn't bring myself to actually ride those NOS Campy parts, I did use the frame and fork, but only after carefully removing all that Campy stuff and packing it all back in the original boxes.

At the end of the day, I loved the way bikes of that era looked, and that's partly what I try to capture with all Ellis bikes, but when it comes to bikes that I'm going to ride, I prefer modern parts. I think the second bike, my Modern Classic built with Campy Super Record 11 is a nice mix of classic looks with current parts?

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments!

Cheers,
Dave

To see more pics of either of these bikes;

2010 NAHBS bike (https://picasaweb.google.com/100571970155704443343/DaveSDreamBike2010NAHBS)
Mark's Modern Classic (https://picasaweb.google.com/100571970155704443343/MarkSModernClassic)

jr59
11-28-2012, 03:25 PM
That white bike rocks! it's the second fav bike I have seen you do. I love the way those speed controllers look.
They sure as heck don't stop the bike, but who wants to stop.

My first fav, and the bike that got me hooked on Ellis, is/was Rob's build.
I'm blessed in that very bike turned up for sale here and is now my fav ride!
I call it fate. I didn't know the owner of that bike when I first saw it on your site. But as fate would have it, I ended up buying it from SamIam, and I can't seem to want to ride any other bike I have. This is just not new bike lust, as I have 2 other new to me bikes to ride right now.

Fixed
11-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Sweetness on wheels imho
Cheers :)